• Thank you received: 80
Here's a long but interesting article I found on this subject:

home.jps.net/~snowbum/InExTuning.htm
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

exhaust cross-pipe 07 Nov 2005 15:56 #7049

• dutchz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
My bike has a 4 into 2 crossover system, but it's not 1-3 and 2-4 that are connected. It's 1-4 to the right, 2-3 to the left, and it is supposed to work like you guys describe, I am trying to grasp the mechanics of it with the up and down stroke. It's supposed to be the opposed cylinders, right? Correct me if I'm wrong...
About the "Kawasaki sound" I'v never heard this bike with a different exhaust, all I know is that it sounds great! My wife has a kZ650 with a Kerker and that's not a bad sound, more racey... My bike just grunts, rumbles and bellows BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!! :woohoo: Must be the large, straight through baffles, hehe.

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

exhaust cross-pipe 07 Nov 2005 18:03 #7069

• TwoSeven
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
dutchz wrote:

My bike has a 4 into 2 crossover system, but it's not 1-3 and 2-4 that are connected. It's 1-4 to the right, 2-3 to the left, and it is supposed to work like you guys describe, I am trying to grasp the mechanics of it with the up and down stroke. It's supposed to be the opposed cylinders, right?

Its because your firing order will be 1-3-4-2 or something like that. Each pulse needs its own tube to run down and to correctly attenuate the return wave.

You have whats called a crossover header design.

The other pipe thats being referred to where two pipes are joined - the pipe is called a balance pipe. Its used because you probably have a single plane crank in your bike.

• Page: