Kz1000p case crack

More
07 Jul 2024 12:24 #901865 by Lpar
Kz1000p case crack was created by Lpar
What are y'all thoughts on this small crack on the shift shaft boss? Not really sure how that even happened, from what I can tell this engine has been given at least one shade tree rebuild. I know it can be welded, but is it even anything to worry about? Also, the lower engine case to oil pan mating surface looks like it's been dragged across the concrete, does it look fixable? I'm thinking probably a wet stone to clean some of it up and a little extra RTV with the gasket.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
08 Jul 2024 04:01 #901882 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Kz1000p case crack
My thought is that it cracked due to stress of some sort and will continue to deteriorate if left as is.  Since you have the cases apart it's the best time to fix it.  RE: the oil pan...if it didn't leak before you pulled the pan I would just leave it.  You might also consider filling in the rough spots with some liquid metal.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
08 Jul 2024 05:04 #901884 by richard-GPZ
Replied by richard-GPZ on topic Kz1000p case crack
With cases readily available on eBay I personally would replace it instead of trying to fix it.

1983 GPZ-1100 completely stock

1983 Gpz-1100 hot rod build in process

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
08 Jul 2024 08:45 #901889 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Kz1000p case crack
I would make a steel sleeve with the shaft boss OD and press fit it with LOCTITE to stiffen the shift shaft boss.
No need to buy a "new" used case with new unkown/hidden damages!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
08 Jul 2024 16:34 #901900 by hardrockminer
Is there not a seal in that hole?

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
08 Jul 2024 16:39 #901901 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Kz1000p case crack
It's inside the case behind the shifting arm. 

More
09 Jul 2024 08:13 #901923 by Lpar
Replied by Lpar on topic Kz1000p case crack
I like the steel sleeve idea. I'm not going to beat on this motorcycle, any reason why it would continue to get worse? Doesnt the outer case cover take most of the forces from shifting?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
09 Jul 2024 11:04 #901926 by SWest
The transmission cover has a seal. The sprocket cover has two more. The shifter shaft goes through all of them. If the sprocket cover has a sloppy fit the shaft will move around putting side pressure on the inside pivot causing a crack like you have. 
BTW the sprocket cover seals are inside and out act as a bearing as well. It is a tight fit in between them that acts like a bearing also. I've never seen a crack like the one you have and the KZP has linkage so there shouldn't be any lateral pressure like a shift lever would. I'd check all the other things I just talked about before repairing the pivot boss. 
Just a suggestion. 
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: hardrockminer

More
09 Jul 2024 11:08 #901927 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Kz1000p case crack

The transmission cover has a seal. The sprocket cover has two more. The shifter shaft goes through all of them. If the sprocket cover has a sloppy fit the shaft will move around putting side pressure on the inside pivot causing a crack like you have. 
BTW the sprocket cover seals are inside and out act as a bearing as well. It is a tight fit in between them that acts like a bearing also. I've never seen a crack like the one you have and the KZP has linkage so there shouldn't be any lateral pressure like a shift lever would. I'd check all the other things I just talked about before repairing the pivot boss. 
Just a suggestion. 
Steve
They all seem to have their "dark and dirty secrets" in their past life 

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
09 Jul 2024 12:03 #901930 by SWest
I was thinking it was in an accident, repaired then sold. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

More
10 Jul 2024 14:12 #901986 by Lpar
Replied by Lpar on topic Kz1000p case crack
I do have a whole another donor engine that I could tear apart and see if the case is any better, but judging by the condition of it I'm pretty sure that's not going to be the case. Its been, shall we say, abused just a tad.
Attachments:

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
10 Jul 2024 19:39 #901992 by hardrockminer
Yikes!  It's going to take some serious work to repair that head!

In reply to your question re: stress transfer....in short, no.  The stress is not taken up in the outer cover.  It's transmitted to the inner cover.