Would you run the engine with this broken exhaust valve guide

• DOHC
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
21 Feb 2022 20:48 #862719 by DOHC
I have a '78 Z1R that hasn't been run in maybe 15 years?  I took the exhaust off maybe 5 years ago and just happened to notice that one of the valve guides was missing a small piece.

I asked my dad about it (this bike was his) and he basically said "don't worry about it!"  But I'm having trouble not worrying about it.  What do you folks think?  Do I need to pull the head and have it redone?  And if so, where should I send it?  

It also looks like the valve seal is bad, based on what the other valves look like.  

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
  • Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    21 Feb 2022 21:00 #862722 by 750 R1
    I wouldn't run that, it looks like carbon buildup from a leaky valve seal  has smashed the guide away, the whole area needs a good clean up...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ojisan rider
    • Sustaining Member
    More
    21 Feb 2022 22:00 #862725 by Ojisan rider

I wouldn't run that, it looks like carbon buildup from a leaky valve seal  has smashed the guide away, the whole area needs a good clean up...
    X2.

Good reason and excuse to tear the motor down and refresh it. Sooner or later, the guide gonna scratch the valve anyway. Fix it before it does more damage.

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
    84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
    89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

More
    21 Feb 2022 23:08 #862727 by zed1015
    The actual missing piece isn't a problem as it doesn't affect the valve stem support.
    Many guides get cut back further than that when porting has been done.
    Continuing to run it like that won't do any harm but the wet stems and carbon build ups means it's due for a clean up and new seals at the least.
    If the bike runs fine though its not in any danger of anything major happening.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
    kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• kzstreetfighter71
    • User
    • Atlantic West Coast
    More
    21 Feb 2022 23:32 #862728 by kzstreetfighter71
    I would also be worried at the potential damage the broken piece did before it’s exit, fingers crossed none at all but it would be a reassurance to know.

06 Gsf 1200 bandit, 08 Triumph tiger 1010
    05 Yam xv1700 , 02 Hon shadow 1100
    1975 Z1 (currently working on)
    1977 Z1000 ( running and in storage)
    1978 Z1000 (currently working on)
    1978 Z1r "skinny tank" (currently working on)
    1978 Z1r "fat tank (gathering parts)
    1979 z1000st (currently working on)

More
    21 Feb 2022 23:47 #862729 by 750 R1

The actual missing piece isn't a problem as it doesn't affect the valve stem support.
    Many guides get cut back further than that when porting has been done.
    Continuing to run it like that won't do any harm but the wet stems and carbon build ups means it's due for a clean up and new seals at the least.
    If the bike runs fine though its not in any danger of anything major happening.

If that piece has been fbroken by carbon on the valve forcing it out, there's a chance that the integrity of the rest of the guide, at least the underside , has been compromised.
    Personally, I just wouldn't risk it. Much cheaper to fix it now than after it fails... That's my way of thinking anyway..

More
    22 Feb 2022 00:31 #862731 by zed1015
    Carbon build up doesn't cause chipped guides.
    There is no opportunity for carbon to build up on the part of the stem that constantly sweeps the guide.
    I've seen this many many times and the most likely cause is excessive guide wear and bellmouthing at the broken end which allows side load from the stem on the guide in the same plane ( fore and aft ) as the sweep of the cam lobe or a fracture of the guide on installation.
    The black varnising further up the stem indicates excessive valve to guide clearance but will not build up more than the clearance allows as it is constantly wiped when running.
    In the current situation it is clear that it's been like that a long time and unlikely to cause any other issues apart from the on going wear and oil usage.
    It's clear that ideally the head ( and probably the whole top end ) needs a overhaul but the chipped guide on it's own doesn't pose an imminent problem and the bike could be run for years like that if you wanted to put up with it.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
    kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mc Tavish, Terry in Australia

More
    22 Feb 2022 14:11 #862773 by 750 R1

There is no opportunity for carbon to build up on the part of the stem that constantly sweeps the guide.
    I've seen this many many times and the most likely cause is excessive guide wear and bellmouthing at the broken end which allows side load from the stem on the guide in the same plane ( fore and aft ) as the sweep of the cam lobe or a fracture of the guide on installation.
    The black varnising further up the stem indicates excessive valve to guide clearance but will not build up more than the clearance allows as it is constantly wiped when running.
    In the current situation it is clear that it's been like that a long time and unlikely to cause any other issues apart from the on going wear and oil usage.
    It's clear that ideally the head ( and probably the whole top end ) needs a overhaul but the chipped guide on it's own doesn't pose an imminent problem and the bike could be run for years like that if you wanted to put up with it.

I understand, but I still think  there's the risk, without cleaning and having a good look, that the guide could be weakened further up, if the guide has excessive wear, and it looks like it does, it would blow smoke and use oil anyway, maybe I'm over cautious but either way I'd fix it...
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

More
    22 Feb 2022 17:52 #862780 by Nessism
    To each their own, but if that engine was mine, I'd tear it down and fix the head.  The valves look loaded with carbon anyway.

• DOHC
    • Topic Author
    • Sustaining Member
    • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
    More
    22 Feb 2022 18:57 #862782 by DOHC

To each their own, but if that engine was mine, I'd tear it down and fix the head.  The valves look loaded with carbon anyway.

I agree that it's probably the right thing to do.  But I really don't know where to send it.  It seems like it would be cool to have some porting done while it's off, but I don't want it to get messed up.  How do I find someone who actually will do it right and end up with a real improvement?  Now that Larry is gone, who is the second best?

At the moment I don't have a shop to work in, but I'm hoping to have something set up later this year. I figure I could pull the head and send it out and have it ready to go back on once I have space to work again.  Once I figure out where to send it...

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
    My dad's '74 Z1
    '00 ZRX1100

More
    22 Feb 2022 20:26 #862785 by Nessism

I agree that it's probably the right thing to do.  But I really don't know where to send it.  It seems like it would be cool to have some porting done while it's off, but I don't want it to get messed up.  How do I find someone who actually will do it right and end up with a real improvement?  Now that Larry is gone, who is the second best?

At the moment I don't have a shop to work in, but I'm hoping to have something set up later this year. I figure I could pull the head and send it out and have it ready to go back on once I have space to work again.  Once I figure out where to send it...

Take this for what it's worth, but a big KZ already makes more than enough power to get a sane person into trouble, so why bother spending several hundred dollars for a minor increase in power via porting?  On my bikes under rebuild, I do some mild pocket porting to knock off the sharp edges and blend casting imperfections, and then call it done. 

I've got some Neeway cutters that I've used for several rebuilds, and they work great for cleaning up the seats.  I'm half way tempted to put them in rotation for guys interested in doing their own valve jobs.  The cutter inserts wear, so buying inserts may be the cost of rotation?
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Terry in Australia

More
    22 Feb 2022 22:41 #862790 by Terry in Australia
    Replied by Terry in Australia on topic Would you run the engine with this broken exhaust valve guide

Yep I agree, that buggared valve guide isn't going to cause the engine to take a dump, but the engine must have done a ton of miles and needs a top end rebuild, at least.