Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Cam don't seem to be getting enough oil 07 Aug 2021 06:51 #853333

• Robb2018
  • Robb2018's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 76 KZ900 73 Z1 A
  • Thank you received: 29

Is there silicon squishing out around the head gasket?
Steve

No.  He used what looked like an OEM fiber gasket and glued the entire bottom side to the head with something that doesn't appear to be silicone.  It was hard as hell to get off.
KZ900; Z1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cam don't seem to be getting enough oil 07 Aug 2021 07:39 #853339

• Robb2018
  • User
  • 76 KZ900 73 Z1 A
This is weird...  test oil pressure at the port on the rear of the right cylinder... needle never even moved off the gage.... but the oil pressure light goes out when I crank it and when it runs.
KZ900; Z1

Last edit: by Robb2018.

Cam don't seem to be getting enough oil 07 Aug 2021 07:48 #853341

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1951

This is weird...  test oil pressure at the port on the rear of the right cylinder... needle never even moved off the gage.... but the oil pressure light goes out when I crank it and when it runs.

What is the range your gage reads ???

Mine is a zero to fifteen pound gage 
A higher reading gage can fool you as these motors rely on flow versus high pressure

My gage when stone cold will read up to 15 as the throttle  is  blipped to rev motor 
 Once warm  it sits near 1 psi until throttle given then reads 3 psi and my gage is connected to the right side port

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb2018

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

Cam don't seem to be getting enough oil 07 Aug 2021 08:30 #853345

• Robb2018
  • User
  • 76 KZ900 73 Z1 A
Well, ends up it was a compression tester.  The guy at Auto Zone heard "pressure" and "tester" in the same sentence and put two and two together and got five.  So, the range on it was pretty high compared to a regular oil pressure gauge... like 300.  I already returned it but from what you're saying, it make sense that the gauge wouldn't move then.  I'm dropping the pan right now to take a look around in there.
KZ900; Z1

Cam don't seem to be getting enough oil 08 Aug 2021 18:13 #853423

• Robb2018
  • User
  • 76 KZ900 73 Z1 A
Ugh...  still trying to sort this all out.  I've narrowed it down to two likely scenarios...  The oil passages have an obstruction or the PO changed the head and put the gasket in upside down.  Damn, I hate to pull the head to check the gasket but I'm wondering how the oil passages could get blocked in the first place.  Let's say someone used RTV on his gaskets and ended up with some floating around in the oil.  Wouldn't that all get trapped by the screen?  How could chunks of RTV find their way into the oil passages?  Is this actually a common thing?  Also, if the PO did put the head gasket in upside down, would that totally block all the passages and would any oil at all be getting up to the cam compartments?  Because I do have a good amount of oil in the exhaust side, with the exception of #3 cylinder compartment, which has about half of what's in the other chambers. 
KZ900; Z1

Cam don't seem to be getting enough oil 08 Aug 2021 19:36 #853425

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
Even if the PO installed the head gaskets up side down, it would not block oil flow to the top end. I think the term is the head gaskets are symmetrical.

Any use of that blue or red RTV silicone on base or head gaskets is a sure sign of a rank amatuer alley mechanic in my book. In my whole life I have only seen two Kz900/1000 motors where the excessive use of RTV blocked oil flow to the top end. You cannot believe how much RTV you have to put on the base and/or head gasket to stop the flow of oil to the head. The first thing that goes if there is no oil flow to the head is the cam bearings. They are a plain bearing and the minute they lose oil flow, they gaul!!!! Pull the cam caps and see if the cam bearings are waxed. Then you know there is no type of oil flow to head.

O.E.M. head gaskets. Left one is up side down. Right one is the correct way they are installed on the motor.

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Dr. Gamma.

Cam don't seem to be getting enough oil 09 Aug 2021 03:45 #853434

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1441
If there was an oil shortage your cams would be toast , blued, blackened and scored within a few miles of riding which they obviously aren't.
When stood, oil drains down past the buckets and back to the sump via drillings linking the bucket bores and the camchain tunnel.
It usually only pools and sits mainly around cylinders 1 and 2's buckets when left parked on the side stand as the oil can't run uphill to drain.
Normal oil pressure is around 3psi and down to almost zero when hot.
It's the oil volume that counts on these engines not the pressure.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Cam don't seem to be getting enough oil 09 Aug 2021 09:43 #853449

• Robb2018
  • User
  • 76 KZ900 73 Z1 A
Well this is all good to hear.  My post to Steve was in error... He asked if there appeared to be RTV oozing out around the head gasket,  my answer was relating to valve cover gasket.  He did glue that down but now I'm thinking it wasn't RTV but something else. 

So Zed and Dr. Gamma, are you both thinking I've got a normal situation here?  The thing that still bothers me is after taking the plugs out and spinning the motor with the starter for a good 20 to 30 seconds, the exhaust bucket compartments filled with oil but the intake side was still pretty dry.  I could see some oil as the buckets went up and down, enough to coat the cam lobes, but it didn't really pool in any of the chambers.  Shouldn't it have after that much cranking?
KZ900; Z1

Cam don't seem to be getting enough oil 09 Aug 2021 10:53 #853452

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
The oil goes to the mains and tranny first at the same time it's pumped up the galleys at the back of the barrels then across the head. The exhaust cams get it last. If you have oil there there is enough for the intake cams and valve train. 
Steve

Attachments:

Cam don't seem to be getting enough oil 09 Aug 2021 11:09 #853453

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598

Cam don't seem to be getting enough oil 10 Aug 2021 17:07 #853540

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:

Cam don't seem to be getting enough oil 11 Aug 2021 09:06 #853572

• Robb2018
  • User
  • 76 KZ900 73 Z1 A
Still trying to figure out what's going on with the oil feed for the intake cam...  just dawned on me, thinking back to the problems I was having dealing with the timing chain slack and installing the timing chain idler and tensioner, I wonder if that could be related to not getting enough oil to the intake cam.  What if the PO changed the head and used the same bearings, or put the bearings in the wrong slots when he reinstalled the cam?  Being that these cam holders are line bored, would a mix up in the bearings cause the cam to fit too tight, causing me to have to use a big screwdriver to rotate the intake cam counterclockwise to take up some of the slack between the cams?  Could that also somehow be the problem with the oil feed?  (Assuming I actually have a problem with the oil feed... still not even sure about that).
KZ900; Z1