Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

81 KZ440 Exhaust. Can't find any 14 Jul 2021 09:16 #851739

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
So this was pointed out to me and the other mods
Swest pulled a post , but the others will be left to stand  at least for now .
Please stick to  the topic.
Personal attacks will not be tolerated 
WE exist here to further the   knowledge to all about our vintage Kaw's
Have a Nice Day
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: TexasKZ, SWest, Nerdy, Boogywstew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

81 KZ440 Exhaust. Can't find any 19 Jul 2021 09:05 #852024

• SteveKing84
  • SteveKing84's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12

So this was pointed out to me and the other mods
Swest pulled a post , but the others will be left to stand  at least for now .
Please stick to  the topic.
Personal attacks will not be tolerated 
WE exist here to further the   knowledge to all about our vintage Kaw's
Have a Nice Day
Dave

I'm assuming that dingus attacked me.  I'd like to hear what he had to say.  People like that never have the gull to talk to someone IRL like the way they talk on a forum.

Last edit: by SteveKing84.

81 KZ440 Exhaust. Can't find any 19 Jul 2021 10:46 #852032

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 378

What a nice initial dive into this forum.  If this is the standard, I won't be here for long.  Talk about someone with a chip on their shoulder - geeeezzz.  So easily triggered too - by like nothing!  I don't have time for people like this... he's blocked once I figure out how.  I'll might look elsewhere for a new forum.

I'm gonna assume you were talking about the other guy.

And that's the thing: shoulder-chip-person is not the standard here. A lot of folks have been on this site for a while and are helpful and engaging even if a couple are occasionally a little bit gruff. (I'm a n00b and it's been like 4 years.) Most new people who show up and genuinely want to participate will stick around; only rarely do we get the kind of jackassery we saw here, and when we do those folks either quit or are shown the door by the admins (who do an excellent job).

Side note: AFAIK Kunena (the forum software) does not have an ignore/block function. As above though, you probably won't see much need for one.
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

81 KZ440 Exhaust. Can't find any 19 Jul 2021 14:01 #852043

• SteveKing84
  • User
I still don't know what I'm going to do.  My bike is in such good shape I hate to take it way from stock, but I can't seem to find any exhaust/muffler-header systems on eBay that are as nice as mine.  Mine are still super shiny they just have a few holes under my right side muffler.

What sort of affect would I see if I delete the crossover pipe?  It seems the only aftermarket pipe I can find on the market deletes it.  Also, assume I replace my mufflers should I expect to re-jet?

81 KZ440 Exhaust. Can't find any 19 Jul 2021 14:53 #852045

• SteveKing84
  • User

You say you're educated, well that's debateable.

My diplomas and several accolades seem to be pretty good indicators that I'm educated.  I'm also wise enough to admit where I'm ignorant, which I have here.   And then, I'm also educated enough to be able to spell "debatable".  But I didn't start any pissing competition here about be educated.  Your shortcomings, whatever they may be, set off some firecracker in your brain.  People like you are the exact reason I retired from engineering early.  It doesn't matter what an engineer tells you because you are too arrogant and stubborn in your ways to listen.  You likely see letters after a person's name, such as PE or PhD, hell probably even MD and instantly shut them down / tune them out.  My wife is a DO, she saw the same thing happen about 10-15 years ago - people starting to hate on those with an education - but she stuck with it because that's what good doctors do.  They care about your health no matter how much you piss them off or shut them out/down.  I hope you're in good physical health despite that gigantic chip on your shoulder, but perhaps you should see someone to help you with your mental health because it's just as important, and you put it all on full display that you could probably use a little help.  And now I'm done with you.  Wish you good health.

81 KZ440 Exhaust. Can't find any 19 Jul 2021 17:53 #852060

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member

I still don't know what I'm going to do.  My bike is in such good shape I hate to take it way from stock, but I can't seem to find any exhaust/muffler-header systems on eBay that are as nice as mine.  Mine are still super shiny they just have a few holes under my right side muffler.

What sort of affect would I see if I delete the crossover pipe?  It seems the only aftermarket pipe I can find on the market deletes it.  Also, assume I replace my mufflers should I expect to re-jet?

Unfortunately, if there are rust holes now there is probably more rust under the surface. You should be able to find universal chrome megaphone mufflers that will work (1.5" inlet size) and look like the originals.

Re: those aftermarket systems. I suspect the manufacturers determined that the performance gain didn't justify the added expense and complexity of the crossovers. You shouldn't experience any dramatic loss by going to two discrete pipes.

Re-jetting will not be required in either case (replacement mufflers or two full pipes).
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R
The following user(s) said Thank You: SteveKing84

81 KZ440 Exhaust. Can't find any 19 Jul 2021 18:11 #852062

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2053
As I understand the situation, the crossover pipe serves two functions. One is to help tune the system, in this case, for more mid-range torque. The other purpose is to allow each pressure pulse to be split between the two mufflers, allowing good performance while not raising the ire of the sound Nazis in the gubment. 
Aftermarket systems generally improve performance and reduce weight at the expense of a little noise.
Most aftermarket systems require little or no carb tuning unless you remove the baffles or buy a race system.
So far as I know, the only old Kawasaki models that have factory replica exhaust systems available are the Z1 and the earlier two stroke triples. Those systems are frightfully expensive.
If you are determined to stick with a factory system, I recommend using the one you have while very patiently watching the interweb for a really nice one to pop up.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

81 KZ440 Exhaust. Can't find any 20 Jul 2021 13:31 #852135

• SteveKing84
  • User
@TexasKZ and @Nerdy  - thanks for the help.  I found a found a system on eBay today that is free of holes and was actually cheaper than other systems that have been on ebay.  It's not as shiny as mine is, but maybe I could shine it up with some polish.  If not I have a stock system now that's free of holes that I can keep stored away and have re-chromed if I decide to take my bike down a different route and want to return it to it's original glory.  I really wish my bike were a C instead of an A model, but that's how to dice rolled.  I just bought a new saddle in poor condition for cheap that I plan to shave down and have re-upholstered, and I found a pair of handlebars that are from a C in really good condition.  It won't take too much to get it close to looking like a stock C model, and I'll have all my parts to keep it an original A.

Can either of you recommend a particular muffler should I decide to go that route upon receipt of the new exhaust system?  If I get a stainless muffler and have to weld it on, could that be chromed along with the rest of the system?  My knowledge of metallurgy is nil.

81 KZ440 Exhaust. Can't find any 20 Jul 2021 14:16 #852138

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
You may also want to contact Delkevic.They make a wide variety of systems for old Japanese bikes, and may have plans for the 400/440 soon. I have read nothing but good reviews of their products and service. In the mean while, you can be polishing away on that system you just got.

delkevic.com/

81 KZ440 Exhaust. Can't find any 20 Jul 2021 15:24 #852146

• SteveKing84
  • User
Thanks, I sent them an email inquiring about that.  I'll report back with whatever they say to share with others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nerdy

81 KZ440 Exhaust. Can't find any 20 Jul 2021 17:04 #852158

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member

Can either of you recommend a particular muffler should I decide to go that route upon receipt of the new exhaust system?  If I get a stainless muffler and have to weld it on, could that be chromed along with the rest of the system?  My knowledge of metallurgy is nil.

That's a good question: I don't know how often folks chrome plate stainless parts. The plating is both cosmetic and functional as a layer to prevent rust (which stainless wouldn't need). However, with a lot of patience and work you can polish stainless so it looks almost like chrome.

Re: muffler recommendations - BUY THESE RIGHT NOW!!

www.denniskirk.com/mac/performance-megap...1103.prd/4411103.sku

They were originally $200+ each and are on closeout for $58 each. They're 22" long and have 1.5" inlets. Good luck!

Edit: I have no affiliation with DennisKirk.com. They're one of the sites I use for tires and non-OEM stuff.
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

Last edit: by Nerdy.

81 KZ440 Exhaust. Can't find any 20 Jul 2021 17:09 #852159

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
That is a screaming good deal. Only three left in stock!