Stubborn oil leaks at both sides of head

More
21 Oct 2020 09:05 - 21 Oct 2020 09:05 #837382 by ghostdive
Stubborn oil leaks at both sides of head was created by ghostdive
Once I got her running this summer, I noticed a lot of oil leaks, two of which were from the two 0-rings at either side of the head. I bought two replacements and put them in (along with a new head gasket) about 2500 miles ago, and last week they both started leaking again. It isn't bad - probably a couple mL per ride - but it bothers me and looks bad. Any ideas on how to remedy this in a more permanent way? It looks like this particular part hasn't been used in a new Kawi since 2005, so I fear that I'll just be stuck in a cycle if I buy replacements.

1982 KZ750 Spectre - 6 speed swap, BS34s, 18" rear wheel

2001 ZX-6R
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Oct 2020 09:05 by ghostdive. Reason: Fixed image.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2020 20:22 #837447 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Stubborn oil leaks at both sides of head
Were those o-rings installed dry?

:whistle:

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
22 Oct 2020 07:33 #837467 by ghostdive
Replied by ghostdive on topic Stubborn oil leaks at both sides of head

daveo wrote: Were those o-rings installed dry?

:whistle:

Oiled, but I didn't use any sort of sealer. Maybe that's my issue...I just don't trust goops.

2001 ZX-6R

More
22 Oct 2020 11:22 #837496 by daveo
After following Z1E's advice several years ago...no leaks since!
Thanks again Jeff

;)

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
22 Oct 2020 11:45 - 22 Oct 2020 12:59 #837498 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Stubborn oil leaks at both sides of head
The factory manual calls for sealer on the gasket around the outside stud holes.

What kind of head gasket was used? Kawasaki evolved the head gasket through quite a few iterations over the years, presumably to improve sealing. There is even one version with red RTV on it. Other versions have a varnish type sealer material on them.

Also, did you retorque after some heat cycles? That's critical, especially if you use aftermarket gaskets. I rebuilt a GS1000 engine with Athena gaskets one time and the torque fall off was horrible.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2020 12:59 by Nessism.

More
22 Oct 2020 17:47 #837516 by ghostdive

Nessism wrote: The factory manual calls for sealer on the gasket around the outside stud holes.

What kind of head gasket was used? Kawasaki evolved the head gasket through quite a few iterations over the years, presumably to improve sealing. There is even one version with red RTV on it. Other versions have a varnish type sealer material on them.

Also, did you retorque after some heat cycles? That's critical, especially if you use aftermarket gaskets. I rebuilt a GS1000 engine with Athena gaskets one time and the torque fall off was horrible.

I used a Wiseco one-piece fiber gasket. I haven’t retorqued, so I’ll get on that tomorrow and hope it solves it.

I’ll admit that I didn’t check my FSM before replacing the head gasket, as I’ve done a few on cars before, but looking at it now it makes no mention of sealer - just torque and then retorque after getting it hot once. Maybe it’s a difference between the 750 standard and shaft manuals.

Re: daveo, I’m not sure what advice from Z1E you mean - the link I’ve got to the rings has no info on the page. Could you elaborate?

www.z1enterprises.com/cylinder-o-ring-zx...%2Fall-models%2F1982

2001 ZX-6R

More
22 Oct 2020 21:34 - 23 Oct 2020 13:21 #837527 by daveo
The original(?) Z1 Enterprises was located in New York until a couple years ago, and Jeff Saunders was one of the knowledgeable folks that ran the place..
He was the guy I trusted most to help me with part orders and questions. At the time I was starting to do work on my own engine, rather than paying someone to screw things up. :lol:

My 1982 1135 motor requires four 92055-1148 oil passage o-rings, which are sandwiched between the metal surfaces of the head and cylinder block.
Since I adopted Jeff Saunders advice to install them dry, my engine has not had a single related leak. Perhaps because of that, or the APE cylinder studs which replaced the stretched-out.original ones around the same time.

It may be one or the other, but I think it's both.

:)

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 23 Oct 2020 13:21 by daveo.

More
23 Oct 2020 20:53 #837598 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Stubborn oil leaks at both sides of head
I found over the years putting a little Yamabond #4 on those orings seems to help. Orings are all over the engine, and all will leak eventually. KZ650/750 has 50 orings give or take. I think all 50 have failed on me at least once over the years.
Probably all the replacement rings now are 20-30yrs old in the package which sure doesn't help lifespan of the new orings obviously.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghostdive

More
23 Oct 2020 22:41 #837600 by Irish Yobbo
Replied by Irish Yobbo on topic Stubborn oil leaks at both sides of head

ghostdive wrote:

Nessism wrote: The factory manual calls for sealer on the gasket around the outside stud holes.

I haven’t retorqued, so I’ll get on that tomorrow and hope it solves it.

I’ll admit that I didn’t check my FSM before replacing the head gasket, as I’ve done a few on cars before, but looking at it now it makes no mention of sealer - just torque and then retorque after getting it hot once. Maybe it’s a difference between the 750 standard and shaft manuals.

This is exactly what I presumed the issue might be after reading your initial question. Hopefully you'll get away with a re-torque. What manual do you have, is the Kawasaki one? My manual (for the E and H models) has the instructions to use a sealant around the farthest head bolts: I use non-hardening aviation cement for the job.

1981 KZ750 LTD

More
24 Oct 2020 15:25 #837636 by ghostdive
Thank you, Ron, I'll pick some up before my next replacement.

Yobbo, I'm using the shaft-specific service manual for the Spectre and the GT750. I should probably scan and upload it here someday...

2001 ZX-6R

More
25 Oct 2020 01:27 #837662 by andyhilton27
Replied by andyhilton27 on topic Stubborn oil leaks at both sides of head
The signs of a blown head gasket can be subtle. ... An external oil or coolant leak at the seam between the engine block and cylinder head is a sign that you have a head gasket failure or a cracked block. On disassembly, check for cracks and cylinder head warping.

More
25 Oct 2020 14:55 - 25 Oct 2020 14:56 #837698 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Stubborn oil leaks at both sides of head
If you see coolant seeping out, you might as well toss that bike in the river. :woohoo:

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 25 Oct 2020 14:56 by TexasKZ.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, krazee1, ghostdive