Smoking Oil Breather

More
25 May 2020 19:34 #826523 by mahamil2
Replied by mahamil2 on topic Smoking Oil Breather
Hey gang,
So had to park the bike for a bit and take care of some personal stuff. I was able to take apart the carbs today and test for a vacuum leak. Looks like I found the problem! When spraying brake cleaner while running on the center boots the bike would stall. I could only fine one crack but its pretty decent size. Ordering new boots from Z1 this week to swap out. Looks like they also put some compound on this before so I'll need to get all the gunk cleaned off the carbs.

Couple questions:
  • I'm having a difficult time identifying the model of carb here. Can anyone ID this from the photos attached?
  • Am I missing something from inside? Should there be a plastic plug or cap where the red circle is. Would this cause leaness?
  • Do my jet sizes look correct? I have 4-1 exhaust (No idea if it is stock.) and pods Anybody have the stock sizes? I've seen a lot of different answers online.
  • -Primary- 122.5[/li]
    -Pilot- 35[/li]
    -Needle- N10C (Has a small washer put under.) [/li]
    --Should this needle wiggle a bit when attached to the sleeve? Right now it is rigid as hell with no play.[/li]

My current plan of action:
- Buy new boots from Z1
- Buy new K&N Pods OR Uni Pods (Any experience here?)
- Buy new jets if these do not look correctly sized.

1983 KZ750F1 Shaft LTD
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2020 20:45 #826526 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Smoking Oil Breather
Keihin CV34 carbs

A Dynojet kit is highly recommended when running pods and a header.

K&N filters, the real ones, are the standard all others are compared against.

More
26 May 2020 05:47 #826535 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Smoking Oil Breather
Here is what should be in each carburetor-
www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...-f1/carburetor-parts

The factory service manual lists the exact jetting and needle number that came from the factory.

As Nessism wrote, a Dynojet Stage Three kit will get you very close and it will have high quality parts. Jet kits by 6Sigma seem to work as well, based on user reports. For filters, I prefer APE to K&N, though I am not sure they make pods for the CV34s. K&N work great, and there are fans of the Uni filters as well. Avoid cheap

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
26 May 2020 08:41 #826558 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Smoking Oil Breather
Another vote for Ape pods....... much better price and vg quality/ looks.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
26 May 2020 13:57 - 26 May 2020 14:09 #826581 by mahamil2
Replied by mahamil2 on topic Smoking Oil Breather
Thanks guys,
The sizes show in Partzilla for the main look drastically different than what I have. They show 100. I'm running Mikuni 122.5- does that seem excessive? I'm second owner on this bike and the previous guy has clearly done some carb work.

Currently have the 122.5 main jet in with a mikuni logo on it (These are Keihin carbs....) Reading the Dynojet guide it looks like the stage 3 kit uses a DJ122 or the 136. I'm assuming this is just a size 122 jet? I don't see my model listed here. Any thoughts on if I should go the Spectre or the R,E&H model route? Looking at my factory manual they seem to indicate carbs that have both a main and a secondary. My model F1, only has a primary listed at 100. The pilot and needle appear to be stock and match what is in the manual (however the needle has been shimmed.)

Text from guide:
3. Remove the main jet and replace with the Dynojet main jetsprovided. Use the DJ122 main jets with Spectre models, or use the DJ136 main jets with R, E & H models. Be sure that the jets you are changing are the main jets

1983 KZ750F1 Shaft LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 May 2020 14:09 by mahamil2.