Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

82 GPZ 550 Loss of oil pressure after a drop 22 Apr 2020 11:03 #823945

• Vabi1
  • Vabi1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
I just want that light off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

82 GPZ 550 Loss of oil pressure after a drop 22 Apr 2020 11:34 #823947

• Vabi1
  • Visitor
So, I just want that light off.
I don't want to install pressure gauge if I already have a level gauge or vice versa. I just want that light not to turn on after 1 or 2 min running.
Please, humor my curiosity.
If it is a LEVEL sensor why is it ON before I start the engine and the oil level is at highest?
Why does it turn OFF when I start the engine and pressure is build, oil is distributed trough the engine and the oil level in the pan (where sensor is located) is low?
And, where my question lays, why does it turn on after 1 minute of running? If I kill the engine and restart it within same second, the light is OFF for another 1 minute. Then goes ON again.
That just doesn't make sense.

Last edit: by Vabi1.

82 GPZ 550 Loss of oil pressure after a drop 22 Apr 2020 13:04 #823963

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Do you have the owner's manual or service manual? Either one should describe how the oil warning light should work. Then compare that info to what it's actually doing, then do the checks outlined in the manual. There are step by step procedures.

The oil light coming on when you first turn the ignition switch to ON is probably normal. The fuel gauge / warner unit probably has self-checking circuitry that illuminates the warning light briefly so that you know that it's functional >> how else are you going to know whether or not the LED is working? If the oil level is correct & the warning light comes on with the engine running, then something is obviously wrong with the wiring or sensor or maybe even the warner unit. I don't know that much about it, but I bet the problem is with the oil level sensor, so I would remove, clean & check it. as already mentioned previously.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vabi1

Last edit: by martin_csr.

82 GPZ 550 Loss of oil pressure after a drop 22 Apr 2020 13:21 #823969

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

Vabi1 wrote: So, I just want that light off.
I don't want to install pressure gauge if I already have a level gauge or vice versa. I just want that light not to turn on after 1 or 2 min running.
Please, humor my curiosity.
If it is a LEVEL sensor why is it ON before I start the engine and the oil level is at highest?
Why does it turn OFF when I start the engine and pressure is build, oil is distributed trough the engine and the oil level in the pan (where sensor is located) is low?
And, where my question lays, why does it turn on after 1 minute of running? If I kill the engine and restart it within same second, the light is OFF for another 1 minute. Then goes ON again.
That just doesn't make sense.

I suggest you check your Kawasaki Owner’s Manual for details, but the following is from the Kawasaki KZ650 Owner’s Manual:

The red oil pressure warning light goes on whenever the ignition switch is in the ON position with the engine not running, and goes off when the engine oil has reached sufficient pressure.

For the KZ650 the manual is clear that the pressure is being checked rather than the oil level. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

82 GPZ 550 Loss of oil pressure after a drop 22 Apr 2020 14:09 #823982

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The Kz650 manual for an older bike is not what I would use to troubleshoot a Kz550H model. :)

The Kz550H uses an oil-level sensor and the photo he provided shows the oil-level sensor.

It is very different from the Kz550 oil pressure sensor, which is why the oil pans are so different as detailed in the earlier link.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed, martin_csr, Vabi1

Last edit: by loudhvx.

82 GPZ 550 Loss of oil pressure after a drop 22 Apr 2020 14:13 #823984

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
The wiring diagram indicates it's a switch. So you either disconnect it, or you short the wire to ground.

82 GPZ 550 Loss of oil pressure after a drop 23 Apr 2020 03:19 #824023

• Vabi1
  • Visitor

loudhvx wrote: The wiring diagram indicates it's a switch. So you either disconnect it, or you short the wire to ground.

But, why does it turn ON after a minute of running? Why? I can camouflage the indicator with the Darth Wader sticker, and still, that would not solve my problem. :laugh:

82 GPZ 550 Loss of oil pressure after a drop 23 Apr 2020 03:26 #824024

• Vabi1
  • Visitor

loudhvx wrote: The Kz650 manual for an older bike is not what I would use to troubleshoot a Kz550H model. :)

The Kz550H uses an oil-level sensor and the photo he provided shows the oil-level sensor.

It is very different from the Kz550 oil pressure sensor, which is why the oil pans are so different as detailed in the earlier link.

I had read this. I have that manual and, trust me, my nose hasn't been up the book this much since college days.
So, manual says it is a LEVEL switch, right?
Ok. I have some ideas what is going on.

82 GPZ 550 Loss of oil pressure after a drop 23 Apr 2020 03:58 #824025

• Vabi1
  • Visitor
Ok, there is a Genesis.
The bike sat for about 10 years dry and without any care.
I took him home for a project in boxes and baskets.
I assembled him peace by peace with love and care, in my spare time (night or day).
Carburetors are good. I've tested them and they checked OK. Fuel level in all 4 carbs are good.
I did the oil and oil filter change first time after 10 years and everything was OK.
Until I've leaned him on the right side (rode it and ran out of fuel. Pushed him uphill for a mile and dropped it, silly me).
Had some petcock problems but sorted that out.

Here are my thoughts:
The oil sludge builded up during those 10 years of sitting dry.
I did the oil change and started the engine (numerous times) and the engine got warm after a long time of sitting.
That started to resolve the oil sludge and got it moving trough the engine.
Then, I dropped him and immediately pulled him back up. Sludge got in the oil pump, level sensor and all of the oil tunnels in the engine.

Solution?
I have ordered the oil pressure gauge. Just to be sure what is going on in the engine.
I will change the oil and the oil filter.
Remove oil level gauge and clean it.
See what happens next.

Then I will get back to You.

82 GPZ 550 Loss of oil pressure after a drop 23 Apr 2020 04:13 #824026

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1895
I would try to remove the oil Level sensor and give him a good cleaning. Ten years of old oil sludge can lock the mechanism.

Here is a solution i have read in an other forum about oil level sensor problem.

I pulled the sensor and as you guys said it was full of 33 years worth of crap. Because it is located in the lowest part of the sump, that's were all the nasty stuff collects. I tried testing it as per the manual but could not get any readings on the multimeter that made any sense. I decided to soak it in degreaser for a few hours as I have nothing to loose at this point. As it is a oil level sensor, after this if the idiot light stays on I will live with that till I can find another one. I check the oil level before every ride so I know the oil level is right. After soaking, I sprayed some carb cleaner into the holes around the sensor and got plenty of nasty stuff out of it. After it had dried I did the test with the multimeter again and got readings within factory specs so its going back in and I will see what happens.

Here is the latest news. Sensor cleaned and back in, oil and filter in and I have taken the bike for a ride for about an hour. No problems and no flashing oil light.
I would say that the sensor is easy to remove once the oil is drained (2 bolts) and easy to clean with some carb cleaner. Anyone having the same oil light problem should give it a clean as I found a lot of nasty stuff in mine causing the problem. Hope this helps others with similar issues.

The following user(s) said Thank You: martin_csr, Vabi1

Last edit: by Scirocco.

82 GPZ 550 Loss of oil pressure after a drop 23 Apr 2020 09:00 #824055

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend

loudhvx wrote: The wiring diagram indicates it's a switch. So you either disconnect it, or you short the wire to ground.

You said you just want the light off. Those would be the easiest options that won't look like anything had been changed.

If you want it to work, then you start with a voltmeter and see if the voltage on the wire changes when the light condition changes.

82 GPZ 550 Loss of oil pressure after a drop 24 Apr 2020 07:03 #824130

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Bypassing the oil level sensor should be pretty easy. It only has 1 wire w a male bullet terminal, so as a test, you could disconnect it & secure the sensor wire so that it doesn't get damaged. If the oil warning light is still acting up, then the problem is the wiring or the fuel gauge / warner unit. If the oil light returns to normal, then the problem is the oil level sensor. I guess this is correct or pretty close. hee.

Last edit: by martin_csr.