Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Easy pull clutch 09 Jan 2020 05:03 #816750

• ayeckley
  • User
  • Thank you received: 29
I believe these are all made by PMC (Japan). Love mine on my KZ1000 and plan to upgrade the KZ900s as well at some point. Made riding the bike a much more fun experience.
1976 KZ900A4 (1105 Project)
1976 KZ900A4 (Stock Project)
1978 KZ1000A2 (Completed Project)
1983 ZX750 A1 aka GPz 750 (Completed Project)
1983 ZX750 A1 (Almost Road-Ready)
1973 CL350K4 (Completed Project)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Easy pull clutch 09 Jan 2020 07:24 #816760

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 595

Rick H. wrote:

slmjim+Z1BEBE wrote:

Rick H. wrote: So when you installed it you could tell right away if it pulled too far and make the subsequent correction? I have the nylon worm housing in my KZ-1000 and I am sure it leaves much to be desired in the friction department. I have greased it with some pretty hi tech stuff, but the lever effort still seems excessive.Rick H.

We've learned that even when new, some aftermarket clutch cables will cause excessive clutch lever effort regardless of lube. Replacing with OEM (preferred) or Motion Pro cables has lessened clutch lever effort in every case.

Our preferred cable lube is DriSlide with moly. Goes in as a thin liquid, then the carrier evaporates leaving behind a coat of molybdenum.

We lube the nylon worm mechanism with a 1/2 & 1/2 mix of TriFlow teflon grease and silicone grease. That doesn't make a whole lot of difference in clutch effort but, it's eliminated the stiction that makes it difficult to feather the clutch smoothly from a standing start.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

Thank you for the reply and suggestions for what grease to use on the nylon worm gear setup. Your description fits my problem to a "T" in as much as I have a difficult time taking off from a dead stop. I try to let the lever out just a bit to get going and 50% of the time I overshoot the initial friction zone I want and take off like crazy or the reverse happens and I kill the engine. Very frustrating but your suggestion for grease on the worm gear may be the cure. I will have to try this and see what happens. Do you know which version of Tri Flow grease you use for this application? It appears there are several versions of Tri Flow grease available.

I have a new OEM clutch cable on the bike, but never thought of using DriSlide. We used DriSlide all the time back in the day, but I forgot all about the stuff as all my recent bikes have had hydraulic clutches on them.
Rick H.

Apologies for missing this.
No, don't know what TriFlow grease it is. It's neither the red nor clear greases currently listed on the TriFlow site, it's dark gray.
slmjim came by this grease in another life as a hardware Field Tech on photocopiers. Mita issued the grease to Field Tech's at about the same time that Mita was acquired by Kyocera, 20 or so years ago. The tube says "Scanner Rail Grease" with a Mita part #. In the day, that part# was identified in the printed parts manuals simply as "TriFlow lubricant, scanner".
The silicone grease we use says "NFO Chemplex 710 Silicone Compound" on the tube. It's clear-ish light-bodied grease.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by slmjim+Z1BEBE.