Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

78 kz1000ltd weird back pressure in oil system? 14 Dec 2019 04:53 #815336

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
If that oil filter bolt was in place at one time and worked well I would see no reason to shorten it. Perhaps you can measure the overall length of the bolt and compare it to a new one, or a known "good" bolt to see if any stretch has taken place. I am certain someone on the forum has a new oil filter bolt and can give you the overall length. Take a close look at your bolt and make sure it has no cracks in it especially around the head or thread area. Otherwise put it all back together properly, install the oil pressure gauge and see what happens.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

78 kz1000ltd weird back pressure in oil system? 14 Dec 2019 04:54 #815337

• mopguy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 168
Many times when I do an oil change the O ring is big and it does not fit properly, so I cut the O ring and make it a perfect fit.
I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.

78 kz1000ltd weird back pressure in oil system? 14 Dec 2019 07:04 #815340

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
When I had Jeff weld the crank journal it distorted the case a little so oil was leaking past the O ring between the cases. Oil pressure was way down. I could see it leaking past it with the filter out. I loosened all the small bolts, installed the filter tightened it then tightened all the pan bolts. Oil pressure came back up. I wound up using a thicker O ring I cut to size at a steep angle and glued it using Super glue for plastic. Worked great. I doubt the bolt is the culprit but it may have had a ham handed PO that tightened it too much. Normally the head would be stripped if that were the case. I'd try using the washer on the outside to see if that's the problem. You can buy new bolts from a number of places or maybe a good used cover. A member here had a issue of the cover breaking. It was caused by a plug installed by the PO for his Micky Mouse oil cooler setup. Removed the plug and all was well.
Steve

Last edit: by SWest.

78 kz1000ltd weird back pressure in oil system? 14 Dec 2019 17:21 #815352

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
I was thinking about that today. There is a big O-ring, same size as the one on the bottom of the filter cover. It's between the cases. Maybe it's missing?
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

78 kz1000ltd weird back pressure in oil system? 14 Dec 2019 20:36 #815364

• seanbarney41
  • seanbarney41's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • '79 kz1000 LTD '75 Honda CB750
  • Thank you received: 23

hardrockminer wrote: I was thinking about that today. There is a big O-ring, same size as the one on the bottom of the filter cover. It's between the cases. Maybe it's missing?

so cases have to be split to see if it's there? Why is it there? To seal oil passage between the two case halves?

78 kz1000ltd weird back pressure in oil system? 14 Dec 2019 21:12 #815367

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
If the engine is full of oil and the cover is off there shouldn't be any oil getting past the O ring. If there is it might be missing or cracked. You would also have very low oil pressure if any.
Steve

78 kz1000ltd weird back pressure in oil system? 15 Dec 2019 03:04 #815368

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1467

hardrockminer wrote: I was thinking about that today. There is a big O-ring, same size as the one on the bottom of the filter cover. It's between the cases. Maybe it's missing?

There isn't a large 'O' between the cases.
Only on the filter and breather covers.
There is a small squared profile 'O' ring between the cases the same as on the oil pump to that seals the join up to the oil pressure switch.
If that was missing the oil would leak back into the sump and the oil pressure would drop so that would not be the cause of the leak.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

78 kz1000ltd weird back pressure in oil system? 15 Dec 2019 05:14 #815371

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
Apologies...I was wrong. It's on the inside of the oil pan.

There is also a small O-ring inside the cases at the top of the oil filter.

If either one is leaking it would reduce pressure to the mains.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
Attachments:

Last edit: by hardrockminer.

78 kz1000ltd weird back pressure in oil system? 15 Dec 2019 05:14 #815372

• Rick H.
  • User
No there isn't a large o-ring between the cases, but there is a large 91mm o-ring above the oil filter area of the oil pan that is compressed against the case when you tighten the oil pan bolts. That shouldn't be the issue unless the oil pan was disturbed. The o-ring on the filter cover is 105mm. If it is properly installed and the components are in good condition and correct, I don't see how the o-ring could simply blow out.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

78 kz1000ltd weird back pressure in oil system? 15 Dec 2019 06:06 #815377

• seanbarney41
  • seanbarney41's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • '79 kz1000 LTD '75 Honda CB750
  • Thank you received: 23
Rick H., that is what got me in the first place. Just now ordering a new filter and something caught my eye. The photo of the filter I just bought shows one with more holes in the shell, larger and more densely spaced than the one I have pictured earlier in the thread. I wonder if I have the wrong filter. TBH, I really don't remember when or where I got that filter. This has been a very long term project,as mentioned earlier. All I remember is being quite surprised when, just before I first started the engine, checking and finding that brand new filter in place.

78 kz1000ltd weird back pressure in oil system? 15 Dec 2019 18:38 #815415

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 111
I am not familiar with the bigger KZ engines but bear with me. Anyone check the oil pressure relief valve? Or do these engines not have one. I haven't read where it was mentioned.
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

78 kz1000ltd weird back pressure in oil system? 15 Dec 2019 19:25 #815425

• Rick H.
  • User
Yes there is a relief valve as such, but even if that was defective I don't think there is enough pressure build up to force the o-ring out of its location between the filter cover and the oil pan. If there is enough pressure to do that I would be super surprised. If the components for the oil filter cover, bolt and o-ring are correct and properly in place it should make for an almost seamless joint. I am not at home while this thread has been running, but I wish I were. I would like to see if there is any gap whatsoever between the filter cover and oil pan on my KZ-1000 just to verify what I believe is correct. Moreover, excessive pressure will/should take the path of least resistance. I am not so sure that path would be through the oil filter cover o-ring.
Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1