Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Removing Carbon Deposits From Valves 24 Nov 2019 09:21 #814461

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
I'd remove the pistons and rings for a good cleaning at least. That carbon gets everywhere and can cause deep scratches in the bores.
I'd also go with new rings and a good hone. B)
Don't ask me how I know. :whistle:
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Removing Carbon Deposits From Valves 24 Nov 2019 11:09 #814469

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2674
Some side play in the valves is normal. This is a snip from the factory 1000 manual showing how to test the play. Spec allows quite a bit of clearance.

Attachments:

Removing Carbon Deposits From Valves 24 Nov 2019 13:19 #814475

• hardrockminer
  • hardrockminer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
I'm leaning towards new rings and a hone because I don't plan to go back into this engine ever again.

Yes, I have that valve spec but I don't have a dial gauge. Maybe I should buy a gauge....would be cheaper than replacing the guides and seals, except I've already ordered and paid for them.

The engine is out of the frame. I started stripping it. The attached photos show what it looks like from the bottom. Not bad for 44 years!
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
Attachments:

Removing Carbon Deposits From Valves 24 Nov 2019 13:36 #814476

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
If the guides are replaced you have to recut the seats which greatly adds to the cost.
The following user(s) said Thank You: missionkz

Removing Carbon Deposits From Valves 24 Nov 2019 13:47 #814478

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
Do yourself a BIG favor, considering that motor is some 44 years old, and since you don't want to ever tear it down again.

Have someone that knows what they are doing, not someone that can just cut the seats. Have them replace the guides, and do a proper valve job. I would trash the 44 year old valve springs too!!!!!

I get a big chuckle when I read when someone had a valve job done by someone they know in a lawn mower shop, and now they have ZERO valve clearance upon assembly!!!!! Of all the heads that I had the valve seats freshen up on, I never had to go down more than 2 to 5 shim sizes after assembling the head.

I like people that use the old Kwik-Way setup that uses stones to dress up or cut the valve seats. Or someone that uses a Serdi machine to do the seats. Those valve seat tools that use carbide cutters just remove too much valve seat material too quick!!!
1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.

Removing Carbon Deposits From Valves 24 Nov 2019 14:53 #814485

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
I cut my own valve seats using Neway carbide cutters and thought they were wonderful. I used a sharpy to track progress (stop cutting when the pattern suggests it's time.) When the cutting blades are brand new they cut easily but they dull down pretty fast.

Removing Carbon Deposits From Valves 24 Nov 2019 15:02 #814486

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Looks great
Steve

Removing Carbon Deposits From Valves 24 Nov 2019 16:01 #814489

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
When I replaced my valve guides I had Clupper Racing do the three angle seat grind. They didn't touch the valves. It was just a matter of the two extra grinds leaving the original seat then cleaning it up. Didn't lose too much but after two more laps and new valves I finally lost my clearance on two exhaust valves so I tipped all of them. I suspect I'll have to go with larger valves next time.
It was a 40 year old KZ900 head.
Steve
johnmaherracing.com/tech-talk/3-angle-valve-job/

Removing Carbon Deposits From Valves 24 Nov 2019 20:10 #814503

• hardrockminer
  • hardrockminer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
The seats still look good so I don't think a lot of cutting is needed....just a careful touch. In the past I've used an aircraft machinist in Vancouver. He has his own shop and does mostly motorcycles.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Removing Carbon Deposits From Valves 26 Nov 2019 07:22 #814584

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
I took the auto mechanics course at North Iowa Community College in the 77-78 era. I had 2 years formal classroom and shop training with the physics and math classes required courses. (and a lifetime of technical experience) During that time in school, I was working at a small neighborhood auto repair shop called "Skippys" or some sh!t about 5 miles from the school. The guy was a redneck a-hole, but I did learn a lot from ol skippy while he criticized the stuff I told him my instructors taught me. (2 much respected local area ex-dealer techs)

I was trained on the old sunnen stone type machine with water/oil lubricated dressed stones for everything. Expensive machine. Motorcycle tools are typically smaller than auto or truck tools which makes lawnmower shops >the< people with the proper sized tools. These tiny valves all need the proper sized tools and the average sizes of the stones and stone holders all needs to be bought. A lawnmower has a lot closer valve sizes rather than my 68 GTO ground pounder or a cummins diesel valve sizes.. Tiny stuff. Lawnmowers sized tools needed.. It sometimes costs more for the tools to do the job than the job or bike is worth.

96 Zx1100 head. Still untouched, but I know it needs cleaning and seals. Lots of tiny valves. :)

In the 50's-60's era, engine blocks and alloy contents made them wear so badly, that rebuilds and refreshing were "recommended" on some motors at 24K miles, by then you had to cut out a 1/16" ring ridge on the top of the block to be able to be able to beat those slugs out of that carbon encrusted combustion chamber. The causes were primarily prior to massive advances in engine block metallurgy . Remember the vega sleeved 4 cylinder motor that never made it out of warranty? lol Buick helped immensely with the alloys used by the Turbo Buick V-6 grand national racing program utilizing the "109" turbo blocks. You could then still see the original crosshatch in the bores after 50K neglected miles.

I did a light deglaze, these cast sleeve bores look great.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: hmmmmm

Removing Carbon Deposits From Valves 23 Apr 2020 08:45 #824054

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014

Nessism wrote: I cut my own valve seats using Neway carbide cutters and thought they were wonderful. I used a sharpy to track progress (stop cutting when the pattern suggests it's time.) When the cutting blades are brand new they cut easily but they dull down pretty fast.

I tried to send Ed a PM about a link to buy the Neway seat cutter he got for his head. The page was in German and I couldn't change it so I'll post it here too. :blink:
Steve

• Page: