Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 18 May 2019 08:55 #804081

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The disk is an anti-tamper device. It plugs the hole of the mixture screw. It should run fine with it left out.

A carb diagram might show where the orings go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 18 May 2019 16:59 #804115

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
I think one oring goes on the float bowl drain screw, and the other goes in the plastic cap that goes on the pilot jet. As mentioned, the aluminum plug goes in the trash.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...-g1/carburetor-parts
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 18 May 2019 17:13 #804116

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2658
The aluminum plug keeps water from accumulating on top of the pilot screws, causing a bunch of corrosion.

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 19 May 2019 09:06 #804160

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

loudhvx wrote: The disk is an anti-tamper device. It plugs the hole of the mixture screw. It should run fine with it left out.

Correct, the plugs are to prevent tampering with the carbs after delivery to keep the emissions within specs, or least during warranty period. I assume that period has expired. :-) Much the same way the GM quadrajunk carbs had plugs, then the later plastic caps over the adjustment screws. I pried and drilled out many of them when working in various repair shops. I still have the long flexible screwdriver for adjusting the mixture.

Attachment not found

With so many of our great members posting great, and accurate advice, service info and pics etc, I would suggest that you consider making the $100.00 "reward" a donation to kzrider to help Bill pay server the expenses involved with the site. Ads fee's and donations do not equal the the expenses involved. :

Also when posting pics, you should insert your pics into your post. It makes your post easier to keep reading while scrolling through your pics. Just sayin. :S :
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
The following user(s) said Thank You: old greek

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: proofreading is a good thing. :-)

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 19 May 2019 11:34 #804177

• goatfarming
  • goatfarming's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4

old_kaw wrote:

loudhvx wrote: The disk is an anti-tamper device. It plugs the hole of the mixture screw. It should run fine with it left out.

Correct, the plugs are to prevent tampering with the carbs after delivery to keep the emissions within specs, or least during warranty period. I assume that period has expired. :-) Much the same way the GM quadrajunk carbs had plugs, then the later plastic caps over the adjustment screws. I pried and drilled out many of them when working in various repair shops. I still have the long flexible screwdriver for adjusting the mixture.

Attachment not found

With so many of our great members posting great, and accurate advice, service info and pics etc, I would suggest that you consider making the $100.00 "reward" a donation to kzrider to help Bill pay server the expenses involved with the site. Ads fee's and donations do not equal the the expenses involved. :

Also when posting pics, you should insert your pics into your post. It makes you r post easier to keep reading while scrolling through your pics. Just sayin. :S :

I did post a picture and donated 100$ to kzrider, so thanks again for all the help and the forum. i will try tomorrow and see if the jet screw thing is whats messing with me now.

But the plastic cap over the jet needle is supposed to be taken off right that is just for protection ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, old_kaw

Last edit: by goatfarming.

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 19 May 2019 17:44 #804201

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
Good man! you get EXTRA brownie points for donating to the site. Thank you! ( I didn't see the post where sorrocco beat me to it. )

In order to make your pics show in line with your post, you need to have the cursor where you want the pic, then click "insert" under the attached files when posting a comment. If you don'r insert them, they show up as small icons at the bottom of your comment. I notice on your other comments the pics are not inserted, just little icons at the bottom of the comment.

I am not sure what plastic cap you are refering to. Got a pic?

BTW< I have my carbs off right now, installing the #125 "racing jets" because my new SS header is really turning blue. I don't want to burn up anything with the sustained speeds and lean mixture.

Attachment not found

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: hmmmmm

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 19 May 2019 19:15 #804208

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
Plastic cap.

Are they Keihin carbs ? And is that cap over the pilot jet? Is it a white or creamy coloured plastic cap with an o ring on one end?

If so then then it is very necessary. Bike will run like crsp or not at all without it.

If not as described above then please disregard this post.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 20 May 2019 03:53 #804214

• goatfarming
  • User
I got slightly unsure about which o-rin to use at the end of the pilot screw the tiny one or the big one ?

Attachments:

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 20 May 2019 03:55 #804215

• goatfarming
  • User

JR wrote: Plastic cap.

Are they Keihin carbs ? And is that cap over the pilot jet? Is it a white or creamy coloured plastic cap with an o ring on one end?

If so then then it is very necessary. Bike will run like crsp or not at all without it.

If not as described above then please disregard this post.

Yes it is Keihin carbs but it looks like its supposed to be taken off, it is a clear plastic sort of , but im almost certain it should be removed because the spring and o-ring etc wouldnt fit if not

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 20 May 2019 05:49 #804222

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2658

goatfarming wrote: I got slightly unsure about which o-rin to use at the end of the pilot screw the tiny one or the big one ?

The skinny one is my guess. It looks too big in the photo but it's hard to tell. I'm not a fan of aftermarket "carb kits" because you never know if the parts will fit. The fat one looks like it's for the drain plug screw.

Last edit: by Nessism.

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 20 May 2019 07:07 #804232

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
The plastic cap I referred to goes inside the carb on the end of the pilot jet. It is number 11012 in the diagram I linked to. As mentioned above, the bike will run like pookie, or not at all, without them in place with a well-sealing oring.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Kz400 H82 Cam / Timing refitting. 100$ reward paid for solution 28 May 2019 13:37 #804728

• goatfarming
  • User
Ok guys! So i have been at it for another week. After being now slightly bald from hair pulling and teeth grinding coupled with a 2x increase nicotine and caffeine usage i have concluded with this - i think the cam timing is now correct. Both one tooth advanced and «level» yields the same results carb farting - back fire through the left carb, i have taken them apart and cleaned for the 3 time and everything looks good but then it hit me, i changed the float spring things - dont know the exact name - and i think i have a overfilling or need to synch this with the clear tube method.

Now i have searched high and low for the original post on this , but there is a bunch of new ones that has been made , and from searching online a bunch it seems like you will not be able to adjust the idle and pilot jet without this being done right.

so tomorrow im gonna take the carbs off and make a stand and do this and hopefully by this time next week my hair has regrown and i can Hopefully cut down on the caffeine and nicotine and Get some shut eye, so bare with me here !

Is ther anyone that has done this before or can link me the guide to either the original thread that still has pictures etc attached or to someone preferably that had done this with my carbs krigen carbs that has same nipple for both overflow and drain on the bowl.

Or better yet anyone that feel the urge to explain to me how i go about doing this, do i just put a tube - open up the nipple drain and fill the bowls up - making sure the clear tube is not twisted etc. And make a mark on the tube and use the same tube for both or do i make two. How long do they need to be ? What is the height im aiming for i’ve Read right on the Edge of the float bowl top where the gasket is level with that + - 2 mm ?

For anyone that takes the time to answer i salute you all the way from Norway. Keep in mind we have only one month of riding weather out of every year basically so any and all help is appreciated:cheer: