Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Timing chain chaos-- replacement options? 08 Apr 2019 15:46 #801815

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1973

Flatblackobsession wrote: Thank you all for the great thoughts and advice. I'm going to tear into this and get the job done right. Three questions:

1.) does anyone have a Kawasaki factory manual for a 1978 KZ1000B2 (ltd) they want to sell or donate? If so, please send me a message.

2.) on the cleaning: what solvents and oils should I use? Dave, did you mean a spray down with something like carb cleaner and then compressed air to blow something like MMO through the oil passages? Also, what do you all recommend be used on things like the crank bearings?

3.) what kind of sealant should be used on the mating surfaces of the cases when the two halves are bolted back together again?

Again-- thank you all for the help and information.

Im sure we have a KZ 1000 manual on our site to download for engine work.
I own a 78 LTD 1000 and the regular manual is all you need. The LTD supplement is for brakes chassis, and electrical diiferences only and frankly
you dont need it.
Flush and clean parts with what ever means you have . Parts cleaning machine , spray cans ,Brakeclean / carbclean... high pressure air. pipe cleaners , whatever you have to chase holes.
Go to Joe Hoppers Pitstop Performance for a very good step by step rebuild instructions guide . It's a great guide.
Yamabond is what I use as directed
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Flatblackobsession

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Timing chain chaos-- replacement options? 08 Apr 2019 17:26 #801824

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1033
Be sure to pull the starter out and undo the M6 case bolts underneath. If you don't and you try to use the case screw points you will crack your lower case at the drive axle bearing set pin.

I use Loctite 515 for sealing the cases.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Flatblackobsession

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: