Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Valve Adjustment Measurements 26 Mar 2019 13:10 #801081

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
If the head is on the engine you can't rotate just the cams without bending valves. You have to make a chart, take your measurements on all valves by rotating the crank going to TDC for each cylinder. Then you'll put the smaller shims in, put the cams back in, adjust the cam chain and remeasure. Some engines the valve cover MUST be on then the cam chain adjusted or damage can be the result. The larger fours have shim over buckets so the cams don't have to be removed to adjust the valves.
BTW, I ran the bike 500 miles and had to readjust a couple valves. I know it's a PITA to adjust them, that's why it's so important to do them when called for. Just know you'll have the satisfaction in knowing it's done right, you'll have 3-5000 miles before you have to check them again and the confidence in knowing what's going on in between your legs. :woohoo:
Steve
PS I set the cams to point away from each other as they would be at TDC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by SWest.

Valve Adjustment Measurements 26 Mar 2019 13:56 #801082

• lousankz
  • lousankz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2

SWest wrote: If the head is on the engine you can't rotate just the cams without bending valves. You have to make a chart, take your measurements on all valves by rotating the crank going to TDC for each cylinder. Then you'll put the smaller shims in, put the cams back in, adjust the cam chain and remeasure. Some engines the valve cover MUST be on then the cam chain adjusted or damage can be the result. The larger fours have shim over buckets so the cams don't have to be removed to adjust the valves.
BTW, I ran the bike 500 miles and had to readjust a couple valves. I know it's a PITA to adjust them, that's why it's so important to do them when called for. Just know you'll have the satisfaction in knowing it's done right, you'll have 3-5000 miles before you have to check them again and the confidence in knowing what's going on in between your legs. :woohoo:
Steve
PS I set the cams to point away from each other as they would be at TDC.

With the 750E, the shims are under the bucket AND the valve cover has the cam chain guide on it, so I get to go all the way back out to getting the valve cover installed to get the right cam chain tension before taking it off and re-measuring. Hopefully I can get this right within 1 or 2 attempts to keep my labor hours down.
1981 KZ750E

Last edit: by lousankz.

Valve Adjustment Measurements 26 Mar 2019 15:23 #801086

• gordone
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 67
Why must you take the valve cover on and off?

I have turned the cams without the cover, when I do the measurement by using the two posistion per cam procedure mention eralier here?
1981 KZ650-D4, with 1981 z750L engine (Wiensco 810 big bore).

Project:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/607213...sr-1981-z750l-engine

Valve Adjustment Measurements 26 Mar 2019 16:17 #801088

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
It depends on the type of cam chain.
Steve

Valve Adjustment Measurements 26 Mar 2019 16:21 #801089

• lousankz
  • User

gordone wrote: Why must you take the valve cover on and off?

I have turned the cams without the cover, when I do the measurement by using the two posistion per cam procedure mention eralier here?

The valve cover on my 750E has a rubber cam chain guide on the top of the inside of it, which is part of the tensioning process as research has told me. I’m on mobile right now but I can upload a photo of it later
1981 KZ750E

Valve Adjustment Measurements 26 Mar 2019 23:53 #801104

• gordone
  • Sustaining Member

lousankz wrote:

gordone wrote: Why must you take the valve cover on and off?

The valve cover on my 750E has a rubber cam chain guide on the top of the inside of it, which is part of the tensioning process as research has told me. I’m on mobile right now but I can upload a photo of it later

I also have these rubber, but as long as the cam you measure has correct position it doesn't matter if the chain is to loose and the other cam you are not measure have some degree off ? Position on the nobs who is important?
or is it something I`m missing ? I don`t say I`m right here.. just that I have not done it earlier...

Project:

Last edit: by gordone.

Valve Adjustment Measurements 27 Mar 2019 06:46 #801112

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Whats the manual say ? diff set up from mine.... hopefully Ness will chime in he's redone his 750e from top to bottom. Thinking Gordon's right but don't want to say unless its a sure thing.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lousankz

Last edit: by KZB2 650.

Valve Adjustment Measurements 27 Mar 2019 07:17 #801114

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2658
The safest way to move forward is to install both cams w/chain, tension up the chain, and then take the measurements in the normal way. Trying to install one cam at a time would be more hassle than it's worth and risky, because if the cam decided to rotate the valves could crash into the pistons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, gordone, lousankz

Valve Adjustment Measurements 27 Mar 2019 07:38 #801115

• lousankz
  • User
Here is a photo of the inside of my valve cover, just for reference. I guess in thinking about it more it would make sense that as long as the motor is at TDC, the cams are lined up and there is the correct amount of links between cam markings that the tension from the top of the valve cover wouldnt be necessary.

I was planning to put both cams back in and tension the chain for each set of measurements I needed, hopefully only being once or twice.
1981 KZ750E
Attachments:

Valve Adjustment Measurements 27 Mar 2019 08:33 #801119

• gordone
  • Sustaining Member

Nessism wrote: The safest way to move forward is to install both cams w/chain, tension up the chain, and then take the measurements in the normal way. Trying to install one cam at a time would be more hassle than it's worth and risky, because if the cam decided to rotate the valves could crash into the pistons.

I have both cams installed when I turn the engine, but not the valve cover and tensioner.

Project:

Last edit: by gordone.

Valve Adjustment Measurements 27 Mar 2019 09:08 #801121

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Be careful doing that.
Steve

Valve Adjustment Measurements 27 Mar 2019 09:15 #801122

• lousankz
  • User
I would think at a minimum you’d want the cam chain tensioned so you don’t slip a tooth while turning the motor by hand, which is why I plan on tensioning the chain before moving forward. Still iffy on if the valve cover needs to be on or not
1981 KZ750E
The following user(s) said Thank You: gordone