KZ440 bogs on hard acceleration and full throttle

More
24 Aug 2018 22:23 #789766 by Togoster
I love that word pal. It's so derogatory and implicates the original intent.I'm sorry I'm so cynical these days. Sorry I'll likely leave shortly t oo. Don't need much help these days. Prefer just a bit of camaraderie but this is littered with subterfuge and that I can't handle.

Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2018 03:55 #789772 by riturbo
Dont no much about the two cylinder bikes but I would think it has something to do with the one soot covered plug . That one is definitely running rich . I would check that carb .

Have you checked the valve adjustments .

Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk
The following user(s) said Thank You: hugorruss

More
25 Aug 2018 06:54 #789775 by 650ed
I read that the old left plug was sooty. Have you checked the condition of the new plugs to see if one is sooty? That might help narrow down the problem to one carb or cylinder. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
25 Aug 2018 18:00 #789808 by TexasKZ
The sooty plug may also be the result of a bad Val e atem seal and not related to the bog. The rattling in one of the pipes could easily be some badly rusted chunks of baffle that are restricting exhaust flow at higher rpms.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
28 Aug 2018 15:31 #789927 by hugorruss

riturbo wrote: Dont no much about the two cylinder bikes but I would think it has something to do with the one soot covered plug . That one is definitely running rich . I would check that carb .

Have you checked the valve adjustments .

I've checked the carb pretty thoroughly, and I've also done the valve adjustments. I guess it could be sooty if the left side exhaust is restrictive...

More
28 Aug 2018 15:42 #789928 by hugorruss
I've checked the new plugs first and they are the same condition as the old ones, left side sooty, right side seems fine.

Not wanting to just chop off the exhaust until I had a replacement in hand, I drilled three 1/2" holes in both mufflers just after the header pipes so air could get out. I had started with one per side and noticed the bike seemed better so then I added two more. on each side.

Now the bike seems a lot better! Way peppier! I don't really have anything to compare it to because this is my first bike, so I just thought that was it as far as performance went. :)

It still bogs down sometimes at WOT, but at higher revs and not all the time anymore. So it's definitely all or at least mostly exhaust related. But at least now I can ride it and bomb around town happily.

I ordered some of those EMGO slip on reverse cone mufflers from amazon and I should have them installed by tomorrow (fingers crossed). I will let you guys know how it goes. a pet peeve of mine is these threads where the OP doesn't come back to say if they fixed the problem or not!

More
29 Aug 2018 12:50 #789974 by hugorruss
Do I chop the original exhaust before the crossover pipe or after?

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
29 Aug 2018 12:57 #789976 by Scirocco
Some pics of your exhaust enviromevd or the collector Body???

More
29 Aug 2018 13:06 #789978 by hugorruss
Sure, first pic is the bike now with original exhaust, second pic is the emgo reverse cone exhaust, it is 17" end to end.
Attachments:

More
29 Aug 2018 20:16 #789985 by hugorruss
Well I put the new exhaust on but it didn't solve my problem. The engine just seems to get "stuck" at a certain rpm, and when I twist the throttle it changes the sound but the rpms stay the same. Sometimes it sticks for a while, sometimes it's just for a second. Sometimes I gear up and it stays stuck and other times not.

Tomorrow I will check to see if the sliders in the carbs are sticking. I am now officially out of ideas.

More
31 Aug 2018 19:00 - 31 Aug 2018 20:03 #790080 by hugorruss
Yesterday I made sure the carb sliders were moving nicely in the carbs and readjusted the pilot screw and made sure carbs were synced again.

Today I did a compression test (170 and 175) and since that checked out but one plug was still sooty I thought maybe it was the valve seals so I replaced those.

I still have the same problem with acceleration, it's just not as bad. Now it can more easily get past the bog down spot. And sometimes the big down doesn't happen. I can pretty much make it happen every time at WOT in third gear at high RPMs though. But now it seems to be faster and doesn't stick as much.

I went for a ride, came back after 20 mins and put a new plug in the bad cylinder. Went for another ride and the new plug is sooty!

If compression is good and valve seals are new, It can't be oil can it? Maybe it is rich? How do you end up with rich in one cylinder?
Last edit: 31 Aug 2018 20:03 by hugorruss.

More
01 Sep 2018 06:00 - 01 Sep 2018 06:19 #790093 by riturbo
Have you checked the float height on the carbs ? Search clear tube method on here .

This might help with your tuning www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_tuning_proc...igh_rpm_engines.html

Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk
Last edit: 01 Sep 2018 06:19 by riturbo.