Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Today's stupid clutch question KZ1000P 27 Apr 2017 18:40 #760438

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
  • Thank you received: 55
good luck with the clutch. All I can say is my Z1B doesn't clunk as hard going into gear as does my Coucours 1400. Now that bike has a clunk. Once in gear though shifting is smooth as butter.
Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, Gordoninnc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Today's stupid clutch question KZ1000P 28 Apr 2017 15:55 #760533

• Gordoninnc
  • Gordoninnc's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! and just like that I'm back in business.

New friction plates, cable AND now I'm 99.9% sure I know what the manual means when it states " until it gets hard to turn"

I had a fellow off the board PM me and shared his method of adjusting the clutch and it was exactly what I was finding worked best for me.

The bike hasn't shifted this nice since I got it. YES, there is a nice positive "clunk" when it goes into gear but nothing like it was and I'm happy with the cold start up.....shifting on the run and finding neutral now is a snap.

Thanks for taking the time to reply........it sure helped me think through this.

Keep your wheels spinning and the women grinning...........Gordon in NC
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Last edit: by Gordoninnc.

Today's stupid clutch question KZ1000P 28 Apr 2017 16:00 #760536

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
Good job.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordoninnc

Today's stupid clutch question KZ1000P 16 May 2017 10:45 #762034

• Conspiracy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 18

Gordoninnc wrote: GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! and just like that I'm back in business.

New friction plates, cable AND now I'm 99.9% sure I know what the manual means when it states " until it gets hard to turn"

And...what was it?
I'm in a similar boat. Turn in until "it gets hard to turn" Does that mean until I can't turn it anymore? Or does it mean some resistance...?
After talking with the mechanic he said if I am missing gears it might be turned in too much. I plan on adjusting soon again.

On a side note, if anyone is watching, I replaced my cable and had everything adjusted properly with 2-3mm of slack at the lever. I rode maybe 20 miles on it and then over the course of maybe the next two miles I had nearly full slack. The lever adjuster nor the mid adjuster moved so I have no clue where the extra slack came from. If my locknut came loose is it possible my adjuster rod came loose as well? Would a "too loose" adjuster rode make me miss shifts?
Novice rider
1976 KZ900