White smoke

More
05 Aug 2015 12:12 - 05 Aug 2015 12:13 #684482 by Bluecrush
Replied by Bluecrush on topic White smoke
Going back to the moisture possibility, the bike was started and let idle a few times to keep gas running through the engine while other parts were fixed. So could this potentially have left moisture and thats what im seeing now? If this is what it is should i still be worried about the oil on the first spark plug?
Last edit: 05 Aug 2015 12:13 by Bluecrush.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2015 15:14 #684503 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic White smoke
I'll try again. Instead of guessing whether or not there is a problem, or expecting someone who has never seen the bike to "divine" the answer, I suggest you perform a compression test and if there is poor compression in one or more cylinders perform a leak down test. Considering that you should be able to perform the tests for free why not do them?

The compression test will show if you are leaking compression, and if so, the leak down should help you identify whether or not the leakage is an issue with the rings or the valves. You should be able to borrow the leak down tester and compression tester free using the AutoZone, Advance Auto, or other major auto parts store's free tool loaner program.

If the compression test shows good compression on all 4 cylinders, oil may be bypassing the valve guide seals and being sucked into the engine during the intake stroke and making the smoke.
Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
05 Aug 2015 15:36 #684506 by Irish-Kawi
Replied by Irish-Kawi on topic White smoke
I'm probably the odd guy out here, but I'm the guy that would rather tear it apart to be SURE and KNOW everything instead of just hoping. Not saying that is what you are doing here, just making an analogy. The guys on here are extremely sharp and 10X more knowledgable than I could hope to be, I don't have a single hesitation that they won't lead you in the right direction, they will. What I am trying to say is, no harm in pulling it apart and proving beyond a shadow of a doubt what is and what isn't, plus it would be great experience and a good confidence booster. Hope I'm not talking out of turn here...

- Irish

All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

More
05 Aug 2015 16:49 - 05 Aug 2015 16:51 #684521 by 650ed
Pulling it apart is fine if there's a problem, but to me before doing that one should try to identify and diagnose the problem. For example - once the cylinder head is removed it's too late to test the compression or do a leak down test to diagnose the problem (assuming there is a problem), so if in this case the smoke is caused by bad valve guide seals one might end up boring; honing, replacing rings. etc. even though those items might be perfectly ok. Even though doing that extra work might not hurt anything, it might not be a good thing to do if the budget is tight. Ed

Last edit: 05 Aug 2015 16:51 by 650ed.

More
05 Aug 2015 18:20 #684531 by Bluecrush
Ill do whatever is necessary to fix the bike properly but have not had te to perform a compression test yet. Maybe im completely wrong here, but if there was a compression problem would the bike have a rough idle, miss, or hard start?

More
05 Aug 2015 18:46 #684539 by Irish-Kawi
Replied by Irish-Kawi on topic White smoke

650ed wrote: Pulling it apart is fine if there's a problem, but to me before doing that one should try to identify and diagnose the problem. For example - once the cylinder head is removed it's too late to test the compression or do a leak down test to diagnose the problem (assuming there is a problem), so if in this case the smoke is caused by bad valve guide seals one might end up boring; honing, replacing rings. etc. even though those items might be perfectly ok. Even though doing that extra work might not hurt anything, it might not be a good thing to do if the budget is tight. Ed

Ed, once again you prove to be the voice of reason and wisdom and that is 100% right. If budget is a concern then wouldn't make any sense to do that without a need to do so, I was kinda just thinking of my own preferences which is to take things down and confirm so that I know what is in there and going on instead of wondering, apologies if it came out any other way.

- Irish

All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

More
05 Aug 2015 19:35 #684543 by 650ed

Bluecrush wrote: Ill do whatever is necessary to fix the bike properly but have not had te to perform a compression test yet. Maybe im completely wrong here, but if there was a compression problem would the bike have a rough idle, miss, or hard start?

Not necessarily; but it might smoke. It would depend on the severity of the problem. Ed

More
05 Aug 2015 19:41 #684546 by Bluecrush
Im taking it to a guy tomorrow to get some back brake work done. Then i will do a compression test and let ypu guys know.

More
06 Aug 2015 10:55 #684628 by Bluecrush
Upon looking at the plugs again there's no oil but they are black from gas. The exhuast also has a layer of soot in it. Should i adjust the carbs?

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
06 Aug 2015 12:08 - 06 Aug 2015 12:13 #684635 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic White smoke
I had a very similar problem on mine, the post mortem pics were posted here within the last couple of weeks

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
Last edit: 06 Aug 2015 12:13 by Tyrell Corp.