wrong oil

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
03 Mar 2015 10:55 #663315 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic wrong oil
15W oil should be fine as long as it's not super cold outside.

I agree that the regular auto oil should be okay as long as it's not Energy Conserving. EC oils are typically 5W and 0W, so 10W is typically not affected.

Rotella is good stuff, as is most diesel oil (regardless of whether or not it has the MA reference). Diesel oil makers don't make a ton of money off motorcycle guys, so most don't bother to go through the costly certification process. But that doesn't mean the oil isn't good to use in a motorcycle though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2015 12:54 #663330 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic wrong oil

gwyon wrote: "Valvoline Premium Conventional 10W-40." On sale at Autozone. I don't see an Energy Conserving Seal. I'll be in town tomorrow, so I'll shop around for JASO-MA compliant oil. And a new filter.

10-40 weight never has the energy conserving badge, neither does 20-50. I don't know for sure if it means there is no moly in it (?) I actually run 10-40 car oil in mine but it was purchased some years back before they started adding so much junk to it. These days, I agree with buying whatever has the MA rating to be safe.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
09 Mar 2015 20:24 #663926 by ezrider714
Replied by ezrider714 on topic wrong oil
I use Valvoline 20-50 Racing Motorcycle oil have for years,36 to be exact, and have never had any clutch problems.... Their racing oil contains ZDDP as it always has... It is not a energy saving oil... I also would not flush with kerosene or diesel, put new oil & filter in and run it 100-2000 miles then change the oil/filter and you should be good to go....

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)

More
10 Mar 2015 05:08 #663955 by fitscott
Replied by fitscott on topic wrong oil
What part of Maine are you in? I grew up in Hampden

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Mar 2015 05:34 #663956 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic wrong oil

gwyon wrote: Thanks martin_csr, I'll look for the Rotella 15W tomorrow. I already drained the Valvoline, so I'll make a fresh start with new oil.
Thanks for the pics, Steve. I'll keep them in mind while I'm shoveling my deck this afternoon.

Attachment IMG_2879.jpg not found

Oh, my god. That's pretty and I thought I got cabin fever in the summer. It's nothing compared to that. I just work on Bossie in the box and ride early in the day or not at all.
How hot are your summers?
Steve

More
10 Mar 2015 07:01 #663962 by gwyon
Replied by gwyon on topic wrong oil
I'm in the Midcoast area of Maine. In July, that same deck gets so hot I can't walk on it barefoot. And yet, the summer nights and mornings can be chilly, which is why I decided to go with 10W-40.

Attachment IMG_2907.jpg not found

1981 KZ440 LTD
Attachments: