Broken Bolts

More
25 Feb 2015 07:00 #662719 by KzChop82
Replied by KzChop82 on topic Re:Broken Bolts
Pittsburg digital torque wrench from HF. Worth the money.
Mechanical torque wrenches de-calibrate quickly.

Clinton, NJ
Custom chopper, 1982 KZ 1000 M2 CSR engine, K&N Pod Filters

PICTURES AND GOPRO VIDEOS!! :
www.dropbox.com/sh/jipz3l8nhzr4jge/AABbm...OC3sqlhCSLxH5Fa?dl=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2015 09:01 #662729 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Broken Bolts
With 3/4" sticking out, you should be able to use a pair of vise grips. Pipe solder is not going to work. What about the other bolt? It looked farther down in the picture. It seems most people are not big fans of EZ-outs on here. I've got a set in my toolbox and have used them many times. They may be a last resort, but there are times when there's no other choice. Always use a sharp bit. Start with a good center punch. Use a guide if possible, Go slow, check frequently and never try to force things. Assuming your other bolt is broken at or below the head surface, I'd put the cover in place and use a sleeve or tube with an outer dia. the same as the cover hole and inner dia. of the drill bit size. This will keep the bit centered on the broken bolt. Drill just deep enough for the EZ-out to bite. If it doesn't turn easily, try penetrating oil or heat. Again, excessive force will only make thing worse.

More
25 Feb 2015 11:23 #662743 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Broken Bolts
The 81 KZ650 Kaw manual says 69-INCH/lbs.

More
25 Feb 2015 14:20 #662761 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Broken Bolts
I was able to remove the cam end bolt with some vice grips earlier. I'm looking for a website I can order a new set of valve cover bolts from. Does anyone know of a good link?

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"