1983 kz750n compatibility

More
13 Sep 2014 11:20 #647363 by FritoVL
Replied by FritoVL on topic 1983 kz750n compatibility
Thanks for the input. Its definitely not the cam chain. I did install an APE tensioner and noticed no difference with this slight noise. I synced it with no real improvement. I then checked the valve clearances. I had two exh valves that were way too tight. I shimmed all the exh valves to the wider side of spec, this made quite a difference in smoothing out idle and this noise. Should I resync after the valve adj? I used a stethoscope and the noise is definitely primary. I also had the pan off and noticed slack in the chain. It seems to not affect performance whatsoever. No comments were made on where to find another motor; any thoughts or will this one last forever?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2014 11:51 #647368 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 1983 kz750n compatibility
Guys with 750 Turbos push ~250 hp through that chain with nary a worry, and I've never heard of one breaking.

If that chain is still available through Kawasaki, it's fairly expensive. but I'm pretty sure the Honda 900 (or so, the one with the high and low range, early 80s or 90s) uses the same chain and costs much less.

KD9JUR

More
13 Sep 2014 15:10 - 13 Sep 2014 15:14 #647404 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 1983 kz750n compatibility
I suspect most of the malfunction claims on the auto-tensioners are on bikes where someone in the past bolted down the valve cover without releasing tension first. Then you have a chain under much more tension than intended... maybe 10 times more... but I'm not sure, for at least a littlewhile. That quickly increases wear on the guides, and probably stretches the chain. Then after that, you will have more chain noise and slack etc.

The warnings in the manuals are simply too few and too small.

The 550 and 750 share very few parts. The ignition advancer can swap, but the curve may be different. The ignition cover, crankcase breather cover, probably the oil filter cover and bolt assembly, and maybe some transmission parts can swap, but hardly worth keeping a 550 around for those few items, which are usually available cheap on ebay anyway.
Last edit: 13 Sep 2014 15:14 by loudhvx.

More
06 Oct 2014 18:55 #649900 by CharlieLamberti
Replied by CharlieLamberti on topic 1983 kz750n compatibility
I am fully guilty of what you mentioned about the valve cover. Did this when I checked my valves right after buying he bike. Hadn't found the FSM online yet so I went by he owners manual and they don't mention it at all. Now I'll have to read that section and fill myself in on what right looks like.

Keep on keepin' on.

1981 kz750ltd

More
07 Oct 2014 06:07 #649935 by eisenherz
Replied by eisenherz on topic 1983 kz750n compatibility
i have been looking for that kind of information!

1984 Kawasaki ZN750A1 (750 LTD)

More
07 Oct 2014 08:36 #649955 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 1983 kz750n compatibility

CharlieLamberti wrote: I am fully guilty of what you mentioned about the valve cover. Did this when I checked my valves right after buying he bike. Hadn't found the FSM online yet so I went by he owners manual and they don't mention it at all. Now I'll have to read that section and fill myself in on what right looks like.

Here's a site w a manual & wiring diagrams. mbsween.bike-night KZ750L3 page
Scroll down & click "The Bible" link.

Note: some of the wiring diagrams are mislabeled in the links.
The 1981 Ltd is an H2, the 82 is an H3, & the 83 is an H4. search tags mbsween KZ750L3
The following user(s) said Thank You: CharlieLamberti