overheated and now have knocking noise

• studysession
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Sep 2014 16:31 #646006 by studysession
overheated and now have knocking noise was created by studysession
embarrassed to say but I let the oil get low. it over heated and now there is a loud noise from the engine...I am sure could be million one things that it could be but figure I would post and ask....
The bike runs after oil change but afraid to ride it because of the loud knocking noise....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2014 16:36 #646007 by boots
Replied by boots on topic overheated and now have knocking noise
you have to ride it sometime to check it out!

present bikes 1976 KZ900, 1978 KZ650 Past bikes Too many to remember!!Mostly Kawasakis and a few Sportsters

81 cb650

• studysession
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Sep 2014 16:38 #646008 by studysession
Replied by studysession on topic overheated and now have knocking noise
Thanks -

Anything specific I should be looking for?

More
02 Sep 2014 18:14 - 02 Sep 2014 18:17 #646028 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic overheated and now have knocking noise
You might want to introduce yourself and tell us what the bike is.

These old Kz 4 cylinder motors are pretty tough and i remember watching a video where a guy ran one without any oil and he had the engine redlined for about 10 minutes before it finally let go.

I would suggest starting the bike and letting it idle so that can you pinpoint where the knocking is coming from...either from the top end or down below from the crankcase area. This will give you an idea of what potential issues you are dealing with.

Cheers

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...
Last edit: 02 Sep 2014 18:17 by reborn650.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

• studysession
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Sep 2014 18:28 #646034 by studysession
Sorry -

Hi - I have a 1980 KZ550 LTD that embarrassingly I let the oil get too low and it over heated.
I did an oil and filter change and It now starts with a rattle/knocking noise but afraid to run it.

Thanks
Attachments:

• studysession
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Sep 2014 18:29 #646035 by studysession
Attached a bigger picture of the bike
Attachments:

More
02 Sep 2014 18:39 #646037 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic overheated and now have knocking noise
How low did you let it go?
Is the knock coming from up high or down low? ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
02 Sep 2014 18:40 #646038 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic overheated and now have knocking noise
Remove your oil pan/ sump from the bottom of the engine. Inspect for signs of bearing failure, look close at findings in there. Also inspect the big end of the connecting rods where they go on the crank, see if they look like they got hot. See if there is any excessive play, at the rod to crank big end bearing.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

• studysession
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Sep 2014 06:47 #646100 by studysession

PLUMMEN wrote: How low did you let it go?
Is the knock coming from up high or down low? ;)

It leaks oil and one day rushing off to work forgot to double check oil levels.
I now have a complete gasket kit for the engine. In the next month or two will pull it out of the frame and replace all the gaskets....

Mean time trying to gather all info I can to know what to look for when I have it pulled apart. Will go over where I have it parked to determine if it is high or low and post back what I find....

More
03 Sep 2014 10:13 - 03 Sep 2014 11:04 #646112 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic overheated and now have knocking noise

studysession wrote: embarrassed to say but I let the oil get low. it over heated and now there is a loud noise from the engine...I am sure could be million one things that it could be but figure I would post and ask....
The bike runs after oil change but afraid to ride it because of the loud knocking noise....

Did the engine oil warning light come on at the time, while the engine was running?

Normally, when the bike is off & you turn the ignition switch to ON, the oil warning light should come on & stay on until you start the bike, then it should go off after you start the bike. Just making sure you know what the warning light is supposed to do. (assuming your 550 has the warning light -- reference the owner's manual).

There are some knowledgeable guys around here, so I would do what Motor Head suggested --- drain the oil, pull the oil pan, & take a look. After draining the oil, maybe put it on the side stand so that you can get a better view. A good light & mirror would be handy as well, There might be a youtube video or two that might be helpful for comparative purposes. While the oil pan is off, that would be a good time to clean the oil pump screen n stuff. :)
Last edit: 03 Sep 2014 11:04 by martin_csr.

More
03 Sep 2014 13:03 #646129 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic overheated and now have knocking noise

studysession wrote: embarrassed to say but I let the oil get low. it over heated and now there is a loud noise from the engine...I am sure could be million one things that it could be but figure I would post and ask....

Low oil, knocking sound? You don't say how low or how you figured out it "overheated".

My first guess would be a rod bearing failed.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
04 Sep 2014 20:53 #646304 by steell
Replied by steell on topic overheated and now have knocking noise
I bought a ZX12R that fell over on it's side while parked and idling. It ran for no more than 3 minutes and spun two rod bearings. The only noise was a tapping coming from the head, caused by the pistons on the two rods that spun rod bearings hitting the head. Wouldn't think a noise coming from the top end would be caused by a bad bottom end, would you :P

Buy a used motor, and rebuild the one you have over time, as you find the parts.

KD9JUR