update on new exhaust.. cracked mounting screw

More
14 May 2014 11:52 #632408 by jgraham232
Replied by jgraham232 on topic update on new exhaust.. cracked mounting screw
There is still some thread sticking out. Enough where I can gently use grips. I have already begun the perpetrating spray. I figure I'll do it to the bolts twice a day until the new ones arrive then see if they will loosen.

Strangest thing, just took it for a ride came back parked it went to go back on it to go to work and my throttle was sooooooo stiff I could barely change gears, there is also some what looks like oil very very slowly coming from where the clutch lever on the engine goes into the engine. I may drain like 2 cups of oil and see if that help, I may have filled it a bit too much when I changed the oil yesterday. Over compensated for the filter. I'm still new and learning, that's why I bought an ok bike instead of one in great shape though. It's a learning money pit lol.

Strap up, Sit down, Ride Smooth.....

1983 kawasaki kz550 spectre shaft

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2014 11:53 #632409 by jgraham232
I should also note that the first run it shifted like magic. And ran beautifully. It seems to be loosening slowly but Idk what to do.

More
14 May 2014 11:55 #632412 by 650ed
Did you check your motor oil level using the site glass with the bike on the center stand? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
14 May 2014 11:56 #632414 by jgraham232
I unfortunately don't have a center stand but had my gf hold it level. I had it full then ran it for 5 mins so that some would soak into the new filter. It now sits about 3/4 full. Is that too much? Too little?

More
14 May 2014 12:01 #632417 by 650ed
It should be fine as long as it is between the 2 lines next to the site glass. Even if it is near the top line that shouldn't be a problem. Ed

More
14 May 2014 12:13 #632421 by jgraham232
So I was just letting it run for a bit to see if things settled and after a trip around the block and letting it idle for 15 minutes, it died without any interference from anything. I should also mention I'm not sure if my battery's fully charged, I haven't been tendering it as I don't have one. Maybe that could be causing the problem? I'm gonna bring it to auto zone and have then test/charge it overnight.

Ugh. Motorcycles are so fun.. but so frustrating.

More
14 May 2014 12:18 #632423 by 650ed
Be careful about letting the bike run without moving or a large fan blowing on the motor. These are air cooled engines and they will overheat if left idling too long. Ed

More
14 May 2014 12:21 #632424 by gengomerpyle
Replied by gengomerpyle on topic update on new exhaust.. cracked mounting screw
it can be replaced. if it was me i would put some penetrating spray on it and let it sit over night. then the next day try to unscrew it with a pair of vise grips, but go easy with it

1982 GPZ750R1 ELR
1978 Honda CB750F SuperSport
1971 Honda CB750K
1970 Honda CL100 Scrambler

More
14 May 2014 12:30 #632426 by jgraham232
Ahhhh. That I didn't not even think about. Ugh I'm so used to my car. Wish I could have just gotten a car. Damn insurance companies. At least I was lucky enough to have bought en a bike with a following like the X series. Thank you all for the help. I hope to someday return the favor to someone that needs help as I'll be riding for a long time :)