78 kz650 SR BURNING OIL

More
03 May 2014 21:33 #631248 by Kawilk01
78 kz650 SR BURNING OIL was created by Kawilk01
Hey all this is my first post here. So bear with me!

I've got a 78 kz650 SR model with 10,000 original miles that seems to be burning oil and I cant figure out why.

Motor mods:
MAC 4-1 no baffle
Dyna electronic ignition
Pod filters with crank vent ran to behind the swingarm

Ive checked all 4 plugs and they are all perfect tan color which makes sense because the carbs have been jetted and synched darn near perfect. The oil level is dead center between the marks on the window. The bike still pulls hard and has no issues running whatsoever. I also just ran a compression test and came up right at 155 psi in all cylinders. I have correct timing etc.

On to the symptoms:
ive been riding the bike for about a week now with no problems or blue smoke. However, today I noticed at a red light that there was blue smoke steadily coming from the pipe, not like a two stroke but enough you can see it, it puffs more every time I goose the throttle and a friendly driver caught me and said he could smell something burning behind me.

My question is, if I have solid compression on all cylinders and the plugs look fine, what would make me burn oil while riding? normally i would think valve seals if it just smoked on startup but it worries me that it smokes after its warmed and all. partially blown head gasket maybe?
sorry for the book guys but I would like to get to the bottom of this quickly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2014 00:57 #631257 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 78 kz650 SR BURNING OIL
Check that vent tube to make sure it is not crimped or blocked in any way.

KD9JUR

More
04 May 2014 01:17 #631259 by Kawilk01
Replied by Kawilk01 on topic 78 kz650 SR BURNING OIL
Hmm now that you mention that, it seems to me that the smoking problem started the day after i ran a piece of hose from the crank vent to down over the swingarm. But from what i can tell its not crimped or restricted in any way. Also, i can feel a small amount of air coming out with the bike idling. What could this vent have to do with it burning oil? My understanding is that vent only lets excess pressure out of the crankcases.

More
04 May 2014 02:51 #631261 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 78 kz650 SR BURNING OIL

Kawilk01 wrote: Hmm now that you mention that, it seems to me that the smoking problem started the day after i ran a piece of hose from the crank vent to down over the swingarm. But from what i can tell its not crimped or restricted in any way. Also, i can feel a small amount of air coming out with the bike idling. What could this vent have to do with it burning oil? My understanding is that vent only lets excess pressure out of the crankcases.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
04 May 2014 03:08 #631262 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 78 kz650 SR BURNING OIL

Kawilk01 wrote: ...78 kz650 SR model with 10,000 original miles that seems to be burning oil...4 plugs and they are all perfect tan color... oil level is dead center between the marks on the window. The bike still pulls hard and has no issues running whatsoever. I also just ran a compression test and came up right at 155 psi in all cylinders. I have correct timing etc.

On to the symptoms:
ive been riding the bike for about a week now with no problems or blue smoke. However, today I noticed at a red light that there was blue smoke steadily coming from the pipe, not like a two stroke but enough you can see it, it puffs more every time I goose the throttle and a friendly driver caught me and said he could smell something burning behind me.

My question is, if I have solid compression on all cylinders and the plugs look fine, what would make me burn oil while riding? normally i would think valve seals if it just smoked on startup but it worries me that it smokes after its warmed and all. partially blown head gasket maybe?....

Would examine and sniff-test the crankcase oil for possible gasoline contamination. Which might maintain the "level" while reducing burnt-oil residue on the spark plugs.

As known, blue smoke from the exhaust comes from oil being burned in the combustion chamber, which is inconsistent with perfectly tan spark plugs. And if burning oil -- as opposed to leaking oil -- the spark plugs won't remain perfectly tan for long.

If chrome exhaust headers are fitted, is there excessive bluing?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
04 May 2014 06:34 #631272 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 78 kz650 SR BURNING OIL
Forgive me if this question sounds insulting; I'm not trying to be a smartass. When you check the oil level do you have the bike on the centerstand or side stand? If it's on the sidestand the crankcase is overfilled with oil. I have read that some have done this without realizing the problem it causes. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
04 May 2014 07:36 #631274 by Kawilk01
[/quote]

Would examine and sniff-test the crankcase oil for possible gasoline contamination. Which might maintain the "level" while reducing burnt-oil residue on the spark plugs.

As known, blue smoke from the exhaust comes from oil being burned in the combustion chamber, which is inconsistent with perfectly tan spark plugs. And if burning oil -- as opposed to leaking oil -- the spark plugs won't remain perfectly tan for long.

If chrome exhaust headers are fitted, is there excessive bluing?

Good Fortune! :)[/quote]

Sniff test on oil passed with flying colors I don't smell any fuel! As for the headers, yes they are chrome but there is no bluing. Only a slight change to a golden color

More
04 May 2014 07:41 #631276 by Kawilk01

650ed wrote: Forgive me if this question sounds insulting; I'm not trying to be a smartass. When you check the oil level do you have the bike on the centerstand or side stand? If it's on the sidestand the crankcase is overfilled with oil. I have read that some have done this without realizing the problem it causes. Ed

650ed - I have removed the center stand on the bike but I did have a friend hold it perfectly vertical while checking the oil level. PO had about 1/3 quart too much in there so I drained it and refilled to proper level

More
04 May 2014 08:06 #631277 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic 78 kz650 SR BURNING OIL
Just because there's good comp.
does not mean the oil ring's are good.
If the bike sat for a long time then some surfaces
rust on the cylinder can wipe out the oil ring's
and not hurt the comp. ring's.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

More
04 May 2014 08:19 #631279 by Kawilk01

zukdave wrote: Just because there's good comp.
does not mean the oil ring's are good.
If the bike sat for a long time then some surfaces
rust on the cylinder can wipe out the oil ring's
and not hurt the comp. ring's.

The bike sat for about 6 years before being cleaned out and ran and basically all maintainence done by me and the guy I bought it from. I hope I don't have to put new rings in it after riding it only a week :( I mainy work on dirtbikes so street motors are somewhat new to me. How hard would it be to put new rings in it?

More
04 May 2014 16:55 #631324 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic 78 kz650 SR BURNING OIL
Ring's would be a basic top end rebuild
on four dirt bike motor's line'd up.
If you can do a four stroke single you could do this motor.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

More
06 May 2014 14:41 #631556 by Kawilk01
Hmm. Anything important i should know like special torque specs or a common mistake people make that i should avoid? Id really rather not tear into this thing it runs too good and is in too good of shape to need a top end already. Anyone else have any ideas what the smoke could be?