Oil pressure problems

• Bozo
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
More
16 Jun 2014 16:21 #636897 by Bozo
Replied by Bozo on topic Oil pressure problems
Baldy, you are scaring me. I just fitted a Cometic gasket to my alternator cover to replace my second hand OEM. Haven't tried it on the run yet so I'll reserve my judgment, but I have noticed it was a poor fit and it stuck out beyond the cover about 1/16 to 1/8" (hard for an Ausy to work in inches) so I had to cut the excess with a blade.
I have to admit they are still a better quality than most non EOM.
All my other gaskets are "now" OEM.

First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, 1983 fully recon motor fitted LOVE THIS BIKE
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as FJ above)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2014 18:32 #636919 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Oil pressure problems
Didn't mean to scare you Bozo just relaying my experiences. I have been rebuilding these KZ engines for going on 35 years and I used to never have to use any type of sealant. I used to put all my gaskets on dry with no issues. I just made sure all surfaces were very clean. Over the last 7 years however I have had to use sealant to get the damn aftermarket gaskets to seal. It's not an issue on engine covers those are easy to replace. It is a pain however to replace the lower cylinder and pan gaskets so with those I always use OEM now. I notice the leaks don't come from the mating surfaces but rather the oil saturates the gasket and it eventually wicks out.

• Bozo
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
More
16 Jun 2014 19:43 #636934 by Bozo
Replied by Bozo on topic Oil pressure problems
Baldy, I mentioned in this forum previously where my Z1R base gasket literally fell to pieces, it was a known brand, at the time I suspected the gasket was not made of an oil resistant paper. I don't mention the name because I have never been able to prove this but like you I used to put gaskets on dry, now I add a sealant.
Although most OEM KZ gaskets have the silver base which seals very well. They cost a bit but well worth it.
In this particular case where the O'ring was concerned because the oil is low pressure I didn't question whether it'll work or not. When I removed it a couple of weeks back even after ~2 months the rubber was getting hard and the O'ring was flat. I now realize that the engine pressure internally gets fairly high when the engine is revved out which caused my O'ring to blow through pushing the oil back into the engine.

First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, 1983 fully recon motor fitted LOVE THIS BIKE
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as FJ above)