Crankshaft rotation direction

More
23 Jan 2014 13:00 #619784 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Crankshaft rotation direction

slayer61 wrote: Doesn't "clock-wise" or "counter clock-wise" depend which side of the motor you're facing! LOL! :lol:

Smat arss! :ohmy:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2014 14:27 #619794 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic Crankshaft rotation direction
I've always wondered about this. There are several points (like adjusting the cam chain) in the manual for my 750 that say to only turn the crankshaft counter clockwise (mine's on the right side of the bike). For other procedures (like valve clearance) it doesn't say that.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
23 Jan 2014 14:55 #619797 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Crankshaft rotation direction
This just me...but thing runs spinning one way ..that -for me- is 100% the way I'm gonna wrench on it...a smidge when doing a bit of work..if you KNOW what your DOING..is one thing...but if you just think you know most stuff...then what is the lost time of rotating around again and catching that sweet spot you missed...Im no pops yoshimura ,,,and my bike is for me to go riding..so when I break it..I cant ride...I turn it clockwise always...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
23 Jan 2014 14:56 - 23 Jan 2014 16:45 #619798 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Crankshaft rotation direction

Topper wrote: I've always wondered about this. There are several points (like adjusting the cam chain) in the manual for my 750 that say to only turn the crankshaft counter clockwise (mine's on the right side of the bike). For other procedures (like valve clearance) it doesn't say that.

Likely because the running KZ750 twin engine crankshaft is turning opposite from the bike's forward rolling wheels.
In other words, the running KZ750 twin engine is turning counter-clockwise when viewed toward its starboard side.
Sometimes referred to as a "backward" running engine -- just like KZ400 twins, and Ed's old BSA 650 twin engine (even though BSA's sister Triumph models have forward running engines, so I've been told :unsure: -- go figure).

When adjusting the cam chain, turning the engine in the direction of normal crankshaft rotation creates most slack where the tensioner presses against the cam chain, thereby allowing the slack to be taken up by the adjustment. At least that's the way it works on large Kaw fours.

When measuring valve clearance, it makes no difference which side of the cam lobe first leaves the bucket, so long as the cam lobe is pointing directly away from the bucket when measuring the clearance.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 23 Jan 2014 16:45 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Topper

More
23 Jan 2014 16:08 - 23 Jan 2014 16:17 #619807 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Crankshaft rotation direction

daveo wrote: Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but is it advisable to NOT rotate the motor the opposite (or counter-clockwise) direction? :whistle:

Depends on what you're doing. In some instances (like Ed's example) it's not advisable, in others it is.

For instance, there's no way you can use the factory Kawasaki valve shim tool on a shim-over engine without rotating it backwards (counter clockwise).

In other words, while it may not suit the task at hand, you won't damage the engine by turning it backwards.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2014 16:17 by OnkelB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo