Oil line Sizes

More
22 Dec 2013 10:16 #616130 by jp-15
Replied by jp-15 on topic Oil line Sizes
Hey PSF,
I've only been messing with kz's forba while, BUT I have messed with cars most of my life. -8 is closer to a 1/2 from what I've found. When your stringing trans cooler lines on a hotrod, and you're using the steel braided stuff I know you usually use -6. I dnt believe the -8 will allow for enough line pressure. Try the oil pressure gauge and see what you have, but you might also try some -6 hose.

1976 bobber KZ900

903cc
K&N Pods
4-1 V&H
VM26's
Dynatek S w/Green Coils.
Winter Project= 10.25:1 1015 cc kit w/ Web cams and Refurbished head. 33 smoothies hopefully.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
22 Dec 2013 10:31 - 22 Dec 2013 13:04 #616133 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Oil line Sizes

jp-15 wrote: Hey PSF,
I've only been messing with kz's forba while, BUT I have messed with cars most of my life. -8 is closer to a 1/2 from what I've found. When your stringing trans cooler lines on a hotrod, and you're using the steel braided stuff I know you usually use -6. I dnt believe the -8 will allow for enough line pressure. Try the oil pressure gauge and see what you have, but you might also try some -6 hose.

Im running 6-AN fittings with 3/8 " hose. 8-AN is way big, and uses 1/2 " dia hose. I think 1/2" hose is to big, could cause a pressure drop?
Last edit: 22 Dec 2013 13:04 by 4TheKZ1000.

More
22 Dec 2013 11:49 #616137 by jp-15
Replied by jp-15 on topic Oil line Sizes
I'm not quite sure I understand. You say you think that 5/16" is to big, but you're using 3/8" (6/16"). I believe -6 should be alright for oil cooler lines on a bike. Then again, I've got minimal experience with this on these motorcycles. I would just think that if I use -8 on my racecar for the oil cooler with a HPOP, that -8 would be like a garden hose to the kz with a LPOP. Obviously, the smaller the line, the more pressure you will have. In theory. You need to find a happy medium between volume and viscosity.

1976 bobber KZ900

903cc
K&N Pods
4-1 V&H
VM26's
Dynatek S w/Green Coils.
Winter Project= 10.25:1 1015 cc kit w/ Web cams and Refurbished head. 33 smoothies hopefully.

More
22 Dec 2013 12:36 - 22 Dec 2013 12:37 #616138 by Dr. Gamma
Replied by Dr. Gamma on topic Oil line Sizes
I have a 13 row Earl's cooler with Earl's -8 hose and fittings on my little 1105 motor, and I have never had a problem with my oil light coming on.

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2013 12:37 by Dr. Gamma. Reason: badd grammer

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
22 Dec 2013 13:06 #616140 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Oil line Sizes

jp-15 wrote: I'm not quite sure I understand. You say you think that 5/16" is to big, but you're using 3/8" (6/16"). I believe -6 should be alright for oil cooler lines on a bike. Then again, I've got minimal experience with this on these motorcycles. I would just think that if I use -8 on my racecar for the oil cooler with a HPOP, that -8 would be like a garden hose to the kz with a LPOP. Obviously, the smaller the line, the more pressure you will have. In theory. You need to find a happy medium between volume and viscosity.

ya, my bad its 1/2 " hose if you use 8-AN not 5/16.

More
22 Dec 2013 15:29 #616159 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Oil line Sizes
The proper way to check the oil level in a bike with a cooler is to stop the engine, put it on the centerstand, wait 10 minutes, then check. Add oil to bring it to th proper level.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

• Powerstroke_fan
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Dec 2013 16:00 - 22 Dec 2013 16:01 #616168 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Oil line Sizes
I have the oil level/amount part taken care of. But i wondered about the lines. i could try reducing the line size. Its just weird that the problem started after a cooler swap. I had the old cooler with the same line on there for over two years with no problem. Then i added a one row larger cooler and now i got a light. But i will try to get a gauge sometime. Does anyone have a decent used one they would like to get rid of decently cheap?

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now
Last edit: 22 Dec 2013 16:01 by Powerstroke_fan.

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
29 Dec 2013 20:27 #616677 by DOHC
Replied by DOHC on topic Oil line Sizes

Powerstroke_fan wrote: I am having some problem with my oil pressure light after a bigger oil cooler install.

First question: how is your cooler plumbed into the system? I've seen some bikes with the cooler in parallel with the oil system (oil is taped off near the pressure switch and returned somewhere like the oil fill plug, but the stock oil transfer pipe is left in place). In this case it may be possible for the cooler to cause a loss of pressure in the head/cam by stealing to much oil volume away from the pump.

Most people put the cooler in series by replacing the stock oil transfer pipe with two hose barbs. In this case all of the oil that flows through the cooler then passes on to the head. A loss of pressure in the cooler would cause a loss of pressure in the head. But bigger lines and a bigger cooler would both reduce the pressure lost on the way to the head, making the system better. With this setup smaller hoses should be bad.

Second, where is your oil pressure switch. The most common setup has the switch located before the input to the cooler. So any pressure lost through the cooler would not even be seen by the pressure switch. The switch would always see full pressure.

I also think the pressure switch is really more of a flow switch. I seem to recall the switch has a disk that plugs the oil transfer pipe, and the disk is pushed up when oil flows around it. If not enough oil is flowing the disk would not be pushed up far enough to close the switch contacts. Can anyone confrim this?

Is there any chance the new cooler or one of the lines or fittings is plugged or pinched?

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

More
29 Dec 2013 21:40 #616681 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Oil line Sizes
I was reading this and wonered if maybe your old system was working but borderline too big so when you put on that bigger cooler, the added cross-section of the cooler was just big enough to reduce your pressure to the point where now it is triggering your light. You shortened your lines but maybe it wasn't enough to compensate for the added area in your cooler. Beings you only changed the cooler, it seems the only thing it could be is the extra volume of the cooler resulting in a loss of pressure. This is interesting beings I'll be adding a cooler to a bike this spring and the cooler you have is about what I will need. Can you increase the pressure in the system some way? I know when a turbo is added, they used to put in a little bit stiffer spring in the oil pressure swith behind the engine to compensate for the extra volume and to feed the turbo.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

• Powerstroke_fan
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Dec 2013 05:46 #616706 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Oil line Sizes
Iam not sure on the stiffer spring racer54. But i agree that maybe my lines are too big. Iam running oil cooler bypass fittings that replace the stock switch.piece with a two piece set up. The switch is still in the factory location tho, which is before the cooler. Thats why the light was throwing me off before because i thought pressure dop in lines shouldnt affect the light. but i guess with the drop in the lines its just not enough to open the switch fully. Anyways i will be ordering smaller lines friday to see if this fixes the problems. i will probably be going with -6an size line.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now