New bike - 2 of 4 cylinders

More
13 Aug 2013 13:46 #601242 by kjelderg
Replied by kjelderg on topic New bike - Update
I just got back from AT and thought it would be a good time for an update of the situation.

A bit of tinkering with carbs and coils has 4 of 4 cylinders firing reliably. I replaced the float bowl gaskets and the fuel tap diaphragm which has eliminated my fuel leaks and I can use the bike without so much thinking about turning the fuel tap to prime when running and back to a vacuum-engaged position when it is sitting. I just jump on and go!

The air pods are in the mail and should arrive tomorrow. I bumped the jets up to 65 and 130 which has eliminated the backfiring on deceleration and the bike seems to be running pretty smoothly.

I was having a problem with the engine idling very high once it was warmed up. I home-made a manometer with some clear tubing, cheap bottles, and kool-aid. I used that to sync up the carbs and the idle is now calmed down and reliable. The carbs were pretty far from balanced with the right-most carburetor being far too high.

I got the repair manual from eBay. I will try and do valve clearances soon but the bike seems to be running which definitely does not help with the motivation.

1982 KZ750 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.