Spark Plug: Overheating on a Colder Plug?

More
18 Jun 2013 21:23 - 18 Jun 2013 21:26 #592954 by Austin440
The plug tips on my '81 KZ440 are coming out pure white (picture would not upload) all the way to the 90 degree bend on the tip. This is after about 20 minutes of warm up and trying to balance the carbs, and then about 5 minutes of riding; otherwise these plugs are brand new.

My understanding of this means that it is running too hot, usually indicating a lean condition. These plugs are NGK BR9ES, which is different than the factory recommendation of B7ES. Given that the B7 is a hotter plug, would the B7 come out even more white/overheated, or would it get better since it is a hotter plug? Perhaps this isn't even a spark plug issue, maybe I'm just not balancing the carbs perfectly so they're running lean. I'm not sure how to interpret this.

1981 KZ440 LTD
Last edit: 18 Jun 2013 21:26 by Austin440. Reason: picture didn't upload - changed text

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2013 21:27 #592956 by P21
how many turns out is your air screws?
2 carbs easy try 4 of them bitches!
hope you have a fan on this motor when servicing it?

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21
The following user(s) said Thank You: Austin440

More
18 Jun 2013 21:32 #592958 by Austin440
Replied by Austin440 on topic Spark Plug: Overheating on a Colder Plug?
If you are referring to the idle mixture screw, they are 2 1/4 turns out as specified in the manual. However, the 440 does not have an air screws - the only adjusters on these keihn carbs are the balance screw, idle mixture (factory preset & plugged), idle stop, and float height. The only live adjustments I can make are to the balance screw and the idle stop.

1981 KZ440 LTD

More
18 Jun 2013 21:34 #592959 by Austin440
The fan might be a good idea. Is it possible it's getting too hot from just sitting there and being revved up?

1981 KZ440 LTD

More
18 Jun 2013 21:38 #592960 by P21
yes sir it is

More
18 Jun 2013 21:45 #592961 by P21
are you using a sync tool?

More
18 Jun 2013 22:13 #592971 by Austin440
I probably should, but I don't have one. Are there cheap ones out there that you would recommend?

About the plugs, do you think changing to the factory recommended plug would make a difference even though it's a hotter plug? I've been going with the BR9ES just because that's what came with the bike.

1981 KZ440 LTD

More
18 Jun 2013 22:34 #592977 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Spark Plug: Overheating on a Colder Plug?
If you let the bike sit and idle for 20 minutes it very likely was overheating causing the plugs to turn white. These engines are air-cooled and should not sit and idle for more than just a couple minutes without a fan blowing cooling air on the engine. 20 minutes is a looong time for an air-cooled bike to run without moving. You may want to install new plugs and go for a long ride to see if the plugs look normal. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
20 Jun 2013 01:51 #593166 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic Spark Plug: Overheating on a Colder Plug?
Oh for goodness sake.
The only way to read a spark plug is at FULL THROTTLE UNDER FULL LOAD !!!!!!
For ALL the other adjustments you just use your ear and the seat of your pants.

And use the standard plugs unless the engine is HIGHLY modified AND you know what you are doing.

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
22 Jun 2013 21:55 #593521 by Austin440
Good news and bad news.

The good news - I got it running acceptable; it can pretty easily maintain 65-70 mph in a strong headwind with the throttle not more than a 1/4 open, so in my book that's running pretty good.

The bad news - I seem to have to replace/clean the spark plugs every time I run it. After going on a lengthy ride yesterday, I started it up today and it sounded really weak. The idle got slower and slower even with the choke on (it would stall with the choke off). Eventually it stalled out and wouldn't start again. I pulled the plugs and they were entirely black and had gas on them. I Replaced the plugs with a previous set that I had cleaned and it fired right up and was back to running acceptable again. This is the second time this has happened; it runs good one day, then the next day it barely runs at all.

Am I still running lean and burning out the plugs? Any ideas?

P.S. Thanks for the tips above. I think the fan made a difference in keeping the bike cool during the tune up.

1981 KZ440 LTD

More
22 Jun 2013 22:27 #593524 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Spark Plug: Overheating on a Colder Plug?
Find non resistive sparkplugs(the "R" in the plug number). I'd imagine your bike has the standard sparkplug caps? if so, there's already a built in, non serviceable 5000 ohm reisitor inside the cap. So now you've got two resistances, reducing the spark energy,making tuning more difficult for yourself.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
22 Jun 2013 23:00 #593529 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Spark Plug: Overheating on a Colder Plug?

Austin440 wrote: Good news and bad news.

The good news - I got it running acceptable; it can pretty easily maintain 65-70 mph in a strong headwind with the throttle not more than a 1/4 open, so in my book that's running pretty good.

The bad news - I seem to have to replace/clean the spark plugs every time I run it. After going on a lengthy ride yesterday, I started it up today and it sounded really weak. The idle got slower and slower even with the choke on (it would stall with the choke off). Eventually it stalled out and wouldn't start again. I pulled the plugs and they were entirely black and had gas on them. I Replaced the plugs with a previous set that I had cleaned and it fired right up and was back to running acceptable again. This is the second time this has happened; it runs good one day, then the next day it barely runs at all.

Am I still running lean and burning out the plugs? Any ideas?

P.S. Thanks for the tips above. I think the fan made a difference in keeping the bike cool during the tune up.

You mentioned that after a ride you pulled the plugs and they were entirely black and had gas on them. This would indicate that either the plugs are too cold or the air/fuel mixture is too rich. In an earlier post you stated you are using BR9ES plugs. Those plugs are 2 heat ranges colder than the plugs called for by Kawasaki (and are resistor type plugs which doesn't help), so it is likely that this is contributing to the plug fouling problem. I suggest you install the spark plugs that Kawasaki recommends - they are B7ES plugs (see diagram). This should help eliminate the plug fouling problem. Ed

Attachment 00000_2013-06-22-2.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments: