Chain cover trouble

More
28 May 2013 20:40 - 28 May 2013 20:40 #589628 by freakinbike
Chain cover trouble was created by freakinbike
I got a new chain cover and I cannot get the clutch right. The spring for the clutch cable at the bottom is giving me grief. I can get the cover on, but the clutch lever won't disengage the clutch because it won't stay in its little inset.

Any tips or tricks for solving this would be much appreciated!

1982 GPZ750, stock (for now..)
1973 VW Bus
Can life really get much better?
Last edit: 28 May 2013 20:40 by freakinbike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2013 21:49 #589637 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic Chain cover trouble
I don't know if it the same on your Gpz but on my KZ 1000 the clutch rod actuator is like a huge threaded piece that can be removed, rotated and set back in to where it looks right but......if you don't get it right it won't push the clutch release rod at the right time. Like I said it might be the same as on your bike (my shot in the dark), worth a check. :)

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

More
28 May 2013 22:09 #589641 by freakinbike
Replied by freakinbike on topic Chain cover trouble
I really just cant get the end of the cable (round piece with three round slots) to seat in the chain cover.

Bluezbike, do you mean the the metal rod that runs through the whole case?

1973 VW Bus

More
28 May 2013 22:22 - 28 May 2013 22:22 #589644 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Chain cover trouble
You can't get it to seat or it won't stay seated?

Did you install a cotter pin at the clutch release to help keep the cable end in place?

Is the clutch lever end of the cable hanging loose? I think it helps to maintain some tension on the inner cable to keep the clutch release end of the cable in place.
Last edit: 28 May 2013 22:22 by martin_csr.

More
28 May 2013 22:51 #589648 by freakinbike
It won't stay seated. The cotter pin is in place. The clutch lever is not dangling, but it is quite loose (the lever has a full range of motion without tension). I'll try with it tighter and see what happens.

1973 VW Bus

More
28 May 2013 23:52 #589660 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic Chain cover trouble
Yes I did mean the rod that goes through the input shaft....again I really don't know if it's the same on both our bikes (hope so). Also does your clutch cable have a barrel adjuster in the middle somewhere as well as the adjuster at the clutch lever?. My son's KZ 650 had to have that almost fully extended before his new clutch cable seated/operated properly

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

More
30 May 2013 13:30 #589930 by freakinbike
I figured out that I had a spring in the wrong place on the clutch cable, so now there's enough slack to allow it to seat, and tight enough to keep it in place. But now I have a different problem.

My clutch cable is way too loose. I have the barrel adjuster fully extended as well as the clutch lever adjuster, and there is still too much play. Not only that, but when I squeeze the lever and encounter a little resistance, the clutch cable end pops out of its inset.

I've adjusted the cable as per the manual, but it doesn't really matter since it keeps popping out of the chain cover

1973 VW Bus

More
30 May 2013 16:00 #589951 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Chain cover trouble
Did you loosen the jam nut and screw the bolt in that seats against the clutch rod? This is built in the cover.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
31 May 2013 21:22 #590147 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Chain cover trouble
Any luck ?

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
01 Jun 2013 18:12 #590312 by freakinbike
I did. No luck. Still stiff and no disengaging fully. I'm going to take it all apart and put it back together according the parts diagram. Maybe I'm missing something.

1973 VW Bus

More
01 Jun 2013 19:04 #590320 by freakinbike
In the attached image is a part I am missing. It doesn't have a part number, so I'm assuming it's just a simple spacer.

Here's what I've deduced, correct me where I am wrong. The clutch rod hits the spacer against the clutch release. Without the spacer, the clutch rod goes all the way into the clutch release, and there's not enough pressure to fully release the clutch.

If this is it, where can I get that spacer? Could I get one from Home Depot? Is there a specific thickness?

1973 VW Bus
Attachments:

More
01 Jun 2013 21:58 #590347 by DBSoundman
Replied by DBSoundman on topic Chain cover trouble
I'm having the same trouble on my 440. cleaned up the release lever and checked the cable, reinstalled. Tried to set the cable but have to extend out a lot to get tension and when I do its hard right away. There's no area of increasing tension and there's no spring back either.

Does anyone know if you should be able to push the pushrod yourself with a tool or something and get movement? I can slide it back and forth just fine but when I tried to duplicate the action of the release lever it wouldn't budge. Makes me worry that the clutch is seized.