LTD cam

• metricmumford
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 May 2013 22:19 #585176 by metricmumford
LTD cam was created by metricmumford
Hey there all.

Happy to have so much great information available on this forum. I'm a new member but have owned a '78 KZ1000 LTD since 2005, my dad bought it in '81 and I rode it more than he did. It's nearly all stock but I put sport bike bars on it a few years ago. Now I want to start customizing it and I'll start by learning as much as I can from you all.
My first question is whether or not the cam is different on the LTD than the other KZ 1000s?
If so, can I swap it out easily with a different "peppier" cam from another KZ 1000?
I'd also like to do a 4 into 1 exhaust. Kerker is expensive compared to V&H or MAC. Any info or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
01 May 2013 22:33 #585180 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic LTD cam
Welcome to the fun !! :laugh:
Cams are the same as a non LTD model. I am the original owner of a 78 LTD as well. You say cams, but have you come up with a total engine plan to build toward. ?? Before I turbocharged my bike the best motor combo that I liked best was a set of 29 smoothbore carbs and a Yoshi 4 into 1 pipe. Not that cams and a bigbore aren't great , but best times were with that combo. Once you start internal engine work it never stops. 1075 kit with higher compression pistons, Head work and cams. Just a matter of cubic dollars. If your not carefull a turbo could just sneek up on you LOL

Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman, jonarmstrong

• metricmumford
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 May 2013 20:39 #586037 by metricmumford
Replied by metricmumford on topic LTD cam
Thanks Dave.
Well, I don't have a plan yet.... First is a big clean up and some minor repairs and adjustments. a couple side cover grommets have gone bad and I almost lost a side cover on a ride yesterday. I already ordered new ones. I've got a sparkplug wire that is broken. I'm gonna look for a part number somewhere to start my search for replacements.

The turbo is sweet. Maybe someday. :evil: One step at a time tho. I think I'll do a 4 into 1 exhaust first. Any suggestions. What makes the Kerker so expensive? is it worth the money?

Patrick

More
06 May 2013 20:59 #586040 by havakaw
Replied by havakaw on topic LTD cam
What makes Kerker's so expensive? The NAME!!!!

'80 KZ 750 LTD-H
'82 KZ 1100 A-2 Shafty (ex-bagger)

More
06 May 2013 21:12 #586043 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic LTD cam
First step would be to make sure engine is in tip top condition valve adj etc. then for your ignition wire problem I would swap out the oem coils to the better Dyna coils and a good set of wires all available from Z1 Enterprises, as for the pipe I would go V/H over anything else including the kerker.

1984 750 Turbo

More
06 May 2013 22:50 #586070 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic LTD cam
You may want to do a little homework on how stock your bike is (apart from the bars that you changed). If it is in good stock condition.....it may be worth some money, especially if you (and dad) have had it since 1981. May as well learn to really take care of your current bike and have fun customizing a bike you bring back from the dead. Soon as you de-stock (don't know if this is even a word) your bike it's value will drop a lot. What do the current pipes look like? This is just my 2 cents as stock bikes are becoming very hard to find.
One of the really worthwhile mods to stock bikes is changing the headstock bearings to roller type and changing out the swingarm bearings, ltd's come with needle roller bearings as stock....this really helps with overall stability. +1 on the Dyna coils and new HT leads.

Some pictures always go down well!!! Can't wait to see it :)

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

More
06 May 2013 23:24 - 06 May 2013 23:25 #586079 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic LTD cam

bluezbike wrote: You may want to do a little homework on how stock your bike is (apart from the bars that you changed). If it is in good stock condition.....it may be worth some money, especially if you (and dad) have had it since 1981. May as well learn to really take care of your current bike and have fun customizing a bike you bring back from the dead. Soon as you de-stock (don't know if this is even a word) your bike it's value will drop a lot. What do the current pipes look like? This is just my 2 cents as stock bikes are becoming very hard to find.
One of the really worthwhile mods to stock bikes is changing the headstock bearings to roller type and changing out the swingarm bearings, ltd's come with needle roller bearings as stock....this really helps with overall stability. +1 on the Dyna coils and new HT leads.

Some pictures always go down well!!! Can't wait to see it :)

+1

Do yourself a HUGE favor and don't permanently change things that are original. Stuff like painting over the original paint, cutting the frame, cutting the original exhaust system, cutting off frame tabs or welding crap on. etc. will kill the value of the bike now and even more so in the future. As Bluezbike said - "stock bikes are becoming very hard to find." And they're becoming more scarce every day which means their value is increasing every day. Now, about those pictures...... Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 06 May 2013 23:25 by 650ed.

• metricmumford
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 May 2013 23:42 #586085 by metricmumford
Replied by metricmumford on topic LTD cam
Great point about keeping it stock.
I'm torn though. I believe, but need to really do some research, that most everything is near stock. I switched bars back in 2006 and still have original bars and all other extraneous trim pieces and lights I removed. I have a strong pull toward making it look more sleek and stripped down. I've always thought it was a blast to ride it, going all the way back to the days before I was 16 and I'd ride it into town illegally and show off to my friends. Luckily, I never got caught, and luckily I still have the bike.
Which brings me back to keeping it stock. Not sure which way I should go. I'm not gonna do any major engine mods. Maybe just the suggested upgrades on the coils and and new exhaust. As long as I've got the stock bars off, I want to do something better than what's on there now. I like the look of eliminating the rear chrome fender and mounting the tail-light under the duck fin. One of my buddies has a '78 KZ1000, but his is on a custom frame, front end raked and an extended swing-arm. low and long. sweet drag bike look. I'll get some more pics up of mine and I'll get him to send me a few of his as well and I'll post em.
Again, I really appreciate this forum. It's so cool to have so much info available. And the advice and suggestions are great.

More
07 May 2013 02:02 #586112 by Haybus
Replied by Haybus on topic LTD cam
This one is real nice. Not what I would say is a ton of money.
seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/3788548950.html

A buddy I work with picked up a 56 Chevy with 26k miles in great shape for real cheap. Thought he was crazy to customize it, won a bunch of awards, featured on My Classic Car and it was anything but stock. Then he sold it for $80k.

Do what makes you happy.

1976 KZ900 LTD (sort of)
2005 FJR
2009 Hayabusa
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/557845...-streetfighter-build

More
07 May 2013 07:42 - 07 May 2013 07:50 #586133 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic LTD cam

DFIGPZ wrote: First step would be to make sure engine is in tip top condition valve adj etc. then for your ignition wire problem I would swap out the oem coils to the better Dyna coils and a good set of wires all available from Z1 Enterprises, as for the pipe I would go V/H over anything else including the kerker.

x2

If you want it to dazzle you every time you ride it, Cam Motion Z1 Grind cams, 1075 Pistons, 88CFM head and a rack of good carburetors. The difference being night and day over what it has in terms of pulling power over the stock bike but keeps complete street reliability and smooth idle.

If you happen to be near Hellertown Pa., give Justin Schmidt a holler. His 79 LTD was modified that exact way and he's walking on sunshine every day ....

Attachment justin2.jpg not found

Larry C.
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 May 2013 07:50 by LarryC.

More
07 May 2013 07:47 #586135 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic LTD cam
" as for the pipe I would go V/H over anything else including the KERKER."..... :ohmy: Blasphemy!!!!! :angry: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
07 May 2013 07:51 #586136 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic LTD cam

Old Man Rock wrote: " as for the pipe I would go V/H over anything else including the KERKER."..... :ohmy: Blasphemy!!!!! :angry: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: I knew that would get your attention...

Larry C.