ZR550F Engine trouble, noises and proper cam timin

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
01 May 2013 21:14 #585166 by Motor Head
DesertKZ where are you located anyway? There May be a member in your area with a couple of helping hands to get you through/ going again.
You definitely need to inspect the valve keeper groove and the keepers closely. If it came lose once it may happen again. Did you check the valve spring? There will be a length in the service manual for checking the free length. But spring pressure is something else to consider. A machine shop for checking it all out for you and seeing if the head needs a valve job, new springs etc might be a good idea. Of course that means $$$. But then it would be correct.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2013 22:38 #585182 by DesertKZ

Motor Head wrote: DesertKZ where are you located anyway? There May be a member in your area with a couple of helping hands to get you through/ going again.
You definitely need to inspect the valve keeper groove and the keepers closely. If it came lose once it may happen again. Did you check the valve spring? There will be a length in the service manual for checking the free length. But spring pressure is something else to consider. A machine shop for checking it all out for you and seeing if the head needs a valve job, new springs etc might be a good idea. Of course that means $$$. But then it would be correct.

Thanks MotorHead, I'm getting there and the local KZ community has provided tons of useful info. (Gilbert AZ)

1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
01 May 2013 22:46 #585184 by Motor Head
Well there are certainly a few guys on this site near you. Maybe one will help you a bit?
At least you didn't drop a valve as that would have been a mess.
Post up some pictures if you want of the parts you have disassembled.
This is why KZR is such a great web site, everyone here tries to help each other out on a common love, the KZ! ;)

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: jonarmstrong

More
02 May 2013 01:43 - 02 May 2013 01:56 #585229 by Patton
DIY valve spring compressor

May fab with metal pipe, a socket, or pvc pipe.

Could also search the Tools forum for more ideas.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 May 2013 01:56 by Patton.

More
02 May 2013 07:59 - 02 May 2013 07:59 #585255 by ggvalchev
Thanks for the suggestions :] I managed to do it with a cut pvc pipe. The first time around it was expanding when force was applied to it, however I used the bucket itself on top of the pvc pipe to hold it. Just so I put your mind at ease the clamp has plastic at the tips of the rod, so no damage to the bucket.

I'll upload a video later, probably tomorrow or the day after.
Last edit: 02 May 2013 07:59 by ggvalchev.

More
04 May 2013 09:12 #585589 by ggvalchev
Thought you guys should know : ] I put everything back to it's place and ran it for 10 secs, since I don't have the valve cover gasket, no rattling noises. I've ordered the gasket and it should be with me sometime next week.
I'll focus on getting the electrics sorted out after, than the exhaust pipe bolt and finally a new paint job. :]

Thank you for the help :}

I'll keep you posted on progress in this thread : ]