Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bummer 28 Jun 2006 20:25 #57947

• donthekawguy
  • donthekawguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Well I took my bike in and had it checked out and got some bad news. Low compression and really low in number 3. Now I guess it's time to put it away until next year or maybe throw in a set of rings and get it running for this summer. I was planning a total build up on the motor next sring so just throwing in a set of rings and a hone job. What do you think?
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bummer 28 Jun 2006 20:41 #57949

• 77kz700?
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
That sucks! I would do a ring job, I wouldn't be able to wait! Depends on how bad you need it. If you do it yourself it's a bit of work but worth it just to ride again!

Bummer 28 Jun 2006 20:51 #57953

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Well Don...there IS still at least 3 months of riding left,before We get wet...I'd go for the hone and rings.
Unless You can handle not riding this season(I'd be going stir-crazy,Myself):silly:
I've got some very low-mileage rings(approx.3k,with pistons,which have more than 3k miles on them) and I MIGHT be heading down to Newport this weekend??...:whistle:
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Bummer 28 Jun 2006 20:53 #57955

• donthekawguy
  • User
Thats what I'm thinking. I just don't have a clue when it comes to putting the cams back in. Maybe I can just do the rings myself and put it back to gether as much as possible and take it back to the shop for the cams.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Bummer 28 Jun 2006 21:38 #57963

• agawam
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Thats why its nice to have several bikes..."one down three to go" I used to be heavy into cars but I found out a couple of years ago the average car takes up the space of 5 or 6 cycles, I have bought a few bikes for not much cash and even got a couple free, my 79 KZ750 was free and now is my preferred cruiser, I got a real nice 72 honda CB350 with 11K miles in trade for a ford 390 engine, I would find something to ride and do that one over

Bummer 28 Jun 2006 21:50 #57966

• donthekawguy
  • User
It sucks cuz my 400 is totally apart and I can only ride to 1000 for an hour or so before it fouls the plugs. I'm going for the rering cheapy job for the summer.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Bummer 28 Jun 2006 21:52 #57968

• donthekawguy
  • User
Hey Sandy check your pm. I can meet up with you this weekend. Are you riding or driving?
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Bummer 28 Jun 2006 22:05 #57969

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Well,if I DO go...I'll be riding,because the Warden will have the truck,and I'm NOT taking My van!It'd be cheaper to FLY!lol.
I'll wait and see what the weather is going to do,but if it's nice enough,I'll probably head down.
I'll reply to Your u2u...
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Bummer 29 Jun 2006 06:26 #58015

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Don, Its your money but a total rebuild is OFTEN not called for. You really can't tell for sure till you have the cylinder off and measure the bore diameters and width of the pistons. If the piston to bore clearance is well within spec, sticking new pistons in will only lighten your wallet. You will not see one bit of increased performance over new rings and hone. The cylinder head should be disassembled at this time and assessed for what work is needed. The main thing is the condition of the seats and guides. New oil seals and clean up/lapping at a minimum and restoring thread on the plug holes may all that is needed. Last, you should pop in a new cam chain while the cylinder is off... you can use a master-link type chain so the lower end doesn't have to come out. Splitting the cases is a snap but cleaning all the gasket mating surfaces to get the engine covers off is very time consuming (expensive). I would re-verify the compression issue myself making sure you open the throttle all the way when you do it. I am sure you trust your shop but a double check might tell you that you can get through the riding season as it generally takes 2-3 days to rebuild an engine and that would cut into your ride time.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Bummer 29 Jun 2006 06:34 #58018

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19
How can you be sure it is only the rings? Have you had the head off to look at the valves? What was the compression numbers anyway? Oil could be going in around the guides too as well as the rings depending on how badly worn things are in the top.

As much of a PITA it can be to pull the top end, I'd spend the $80-90 for new rings IMHO. If you're not doing the hone yourself then that makes it even more a waste of money to pay someone to hone it and buy new gaskets, not to mention your time involved if you use used rings afterwards.

Don't get me wrong, it is nice of Sandy to offer the rings and even bring them to you, damn nice really, but depending on what you have going on in there it might be a waste of his time to bring them if you have bad valve guides or the valves/seats are no good. I'd pop the head off first to see what the valves look like first before he makes the trip down at least. Besides think of all the beer money you'll spend if there is nothing the two of you can do but stare at it if the valves are bad! :P
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

Bummer 29 Jun 2006 09:08 #58053

• donthekawguy
  • User
Yeah I was planning on doing the head while I have it off. It will save me some time next year when I tear it down again. I have the money now for the head but not the rebuild I really want next year so it's not to big of a deal for me. I think a nice honing, rings and a head rebuild will be good for this year and get me on the road cheap enough. We only have another 3-4 months of riding left. I'm planning on a 1075 kit, undercut 2nd gear, new clutch, welded crank, new timing chain, bigger carbs, bigger cams and clean up the head some more. All this will be done next winter as well as all the frame mods and suspension change over. I'm hoping to find a blower this winter but they are a bit spendy and might have to wait until next winter. They are a bitch to work with but the cool factor is off the chart.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Bummer 30 Jun 2006 06:49 #58240

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Don, What you are really wanting us is to aid and abet you in doing go fast stuff on your bike? Bwhahaha Sounds like you are getting the urge to do some hot rodding and are trying to explain (to someone who keeps the checkbook perhaps?) the "1075" kit as a compression fix? hehe I can hear the conversation now...

"Honey, No! Really! The Wiseco 10.25:1 1075 kit is necessary as I think my compression is down some. It really makes sense to put new Megacycle cams in while I am in there as a preventive maintenance thing and get the head ported while I do a valve job and clearancing work for the cams since the guys told me it would help fuel economy!... see honey, I am looking out for out checking account... saving gas money is really my objective here"... (you will have to come up with a rationaization for a blower on your own!)

snicker
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: