The right stuff

More
17 Mar 2013 09:13 - 17 Mar 2013 09:33 #577332 by LarryC
The right stuff was created by LarryC
The right media makes all the difference in the finish.

Head on the left has been blasted with a cleaning media. On the right is a head blasted with finishing media.

Crushed glass, sand, soda..... leave a dull flat surface. True glass bead of the right size with the right pressure can leave a brilliant surface.

Attachment 392.jpg not found

Also, all castings are not equal. Some are softer than others. You can tell immediately when you start the blasting process or cutting the ports with a carbide. The head on the right was one of the hardest castings I've come across. Aluminum is funny stuff when it comes to cast parts.

Something I've noticed about transmission fluid and aluminum too. Often times the bottom of the tappet bores are stained brown. Trans fluid seems to remove that discoloration pretty well.

A cheap and effective way to clean heads, blocks, pistons, etc. is to get a plastic storage tub at Walmart. Get a few gallons of Simple Green. Cut it with about 20% water. Soak the head in it and use a parts brush to scrub on it.

Hose the hell out of it. Don't let the cleaner dry on it. When it's as clean as you can get it, a stiff nylon brush can be used to buff it.

Here's Wireman heading in to get one.. :laugh:

Attachment plumgoestowalmart.gif not found

Larry C.
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Mar 2013 09:33 by LarryC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2013 09:36 - 17 Mar 2013 09:36 #577335 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic The right stuff
I took your advise last year when i sandblasted my cases. I went with the glass bead. I think it was 60/80. I played with the pressures. It turned out looking real good, maybe even better than factory :lol: Thanks for the tips.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now
Last edit: 17 Mar 2013 09:36 by Powerstroke_fan.

More
17 Mar 2013 09:45 #577336 by peter1958

More
17 Mar 2013 09:56 #577339 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic The right stuff

peter1958 wrote: What size bead do you use Larry

30/40

Larry C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: peter1958

More
17 Mar 2013 10:07 #577341 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic The right stuff
I have read on the internet (and you know everything there is true) that blasting aluminum with glass bead can result in glass embedded in the surface. Have you ever run into this problem, or maybe is it the result of using too much pressure? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
17 Mar 2013 11:26 #577344 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic The right stuff

Attachment larrycav.jpg not found

And heres Larry out test riding a vmax B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
17 Mar 2013 11:33 #577346 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic The right stuff

650ed wrote: I have read on the internet (and you know everything there is true) that blasting aluminum with glass bead can result in glass embedded in the surface. Have you ever run into this problem, or maybe is it the result of using too much pressure? Ed

You can run into that problem with just about any material,thats why its important to clean every place there will be surfaces rubbing against each other.
I also plug ends of valve guides before blasting cylinder heads :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
17 Mar 2013 20:38 - 17 Mar 2013 20:42 #577403 by LarryC

650ed wrote: I have read on the internet (and you know everything there is true) that blasting aluminum with glass bead can result in glass embedded in the surface. Have you ever run into this problem, or maybe is it the result of using too much pressure? Ed

Ed....with enough effort, anything is possible I suppose :laugh: Personally I've never had any problems from using glass bead on those heads. It's like anything else....apply common sense to what you're doing and you don't have issues.

Everything should be degreased thoroughly before you blast and it must be flushed properly when you'r finished.

Larry C.
Last edit: 17 Mar 2013 20:42 by LarryC.

More
17 Mar 2013 20:39 #577404 by LarryC

wireman wrote:

Attachment larrycav.jpg not found

And heres Larry out test riding a vmax B)

It was really hot that day...what can I say :lol:

Larry C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
17 Mar 2013 22:56 #577432 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic The right stuff

LarryC wrote:

Ed....with enough effort, anything is possible I suppose :laugh: Personally I've never had any problems from using glass bead on those heads. It's like anything else....apply common sense to what you're doing and you don't have issues.

Everything should be degreased thoroughly before you blast and it must be flushed properly when you'r finished.

I figure maybe the person who had the problem was using too much pressure. I once had a boss who tried to wash his 6 month old Chevy truck using a 2,000 PSI pressure washer and he bitched like crazy when it blasted off some of the paint. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
17 Mar 2013 23:01 #577433 by LarryC

650ed wrote:

LarryC wrote:

I figure maybe the person who had the problem was using too much pressure. I once had a boss who tried to wash his 6 month old Chevy truck using a 2,000 PSI pressure washer and he bitched like crazy when it blasted off some of the paint. Ed

Exactly ;) Speaking of that. My neighbor got an industrial power washer to strip paint off his porch. He put on the zero degree nozzle and ripped trenches into the wood :silly:

Larry C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
17 Mar 2013 23:04 #577434 by LarryC

Powerstroke_fan wrote: I took your advise last year when i sandblasted my cases. I went with the glass bead. I think it was 60/80. I played with the pressures. It turned out looking real good, maybe even better than factory :lol: Thanks for the tips.

You're very welcome :)

Larry C.