Base gasket leaking on 1983 KZ1100 ltd....

• saxonpirate
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1983 KZ1100 LTD
More
18 Feb 2013 16:33 #573038 by saxonpirate
Base gasket leaking on 1983 KZ1100 ltd.... was created by saxonpirate
Hi guys...

I wonder if you can help me out here. Last summer I successfully cured the oil leaking from the head on my bike, fitted two new head gaskets, and the rectangular shaped o-ring. All was well, but then I noticed oil weeping from the base gasket after a run, along with a good lubricating of my boots... I must have disturbed the cylinder block while removing the head.

I have the Kawasaki works manual and it shows a factory ring compressor clamped on all four cylinders. Now, I haven't got one of these, and was wondering if you guys have any tricks/tips for me to accomplish this job efficiently and successfully. At the moment I can't think for the life of me how I'm going to manage to drop the cylinder block over all four pistons single handed.

Thank you and here's hoping .... Dave

1983 KZ1100 LTD..

Ride like your life depended on it :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2013 18:08 - 18 Feb 2013 18:11 #573048 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Base gasket leaking on 1983 KZ1100 ltd....
Lots of people use hose clamps as mickey mouse ring compressors.

Depends on whether the gasket is torn up or still physically intact but leaking. A lot of times the base gasket tears when you lift the cylinder up, if not you might be able to seal it.

You MIGHT be able to raise the cylinder up an inch or two without releasing the rings. Use small vise grips clamped to the studs to hold the head up and apply 3-bond to the base gasket.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 18 Feb 2013 18:11 by bountyhunter.

More
18 Feb 2013 18:10 #573049 by pig9r
Replied by pig9r on topic Base gasket leaking on 1983 KZ1100 ltd....
Have you tried to retorque the head?

I have tried a few different ring compressors but nothing works better than my fingers. There is a bit of taper on the base of the cylinder liners. Just use a clamp on the cylinder studs or a piece of wood etc to support and incrementally lower the cylinders as you feed the rings.

• saxonpirate
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1983 KZ1100 LTD
More
18 Feb 2013 18:25 #573055 by saxonpirate
Replied by saxonpirate on topic Base gasket leaking on 1983 KZ1100 ltd....
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I tried re-torquing the head but to no avail. You've given me something to think about though re jubilee clips and clamping the studs to let the block down slowly though. That's good news on the cylinders being tapered at the bottom too.

I've got to admit I've been dreading doing this job. I'm a pretty handy mechanic, but for some reason I've probably built this up to be a bigger deal than it is. Pretty simple popping the pistons in a car block from the top, but easing all four in from the bottom from a suspended cylinder block has been what's bugging me I think...

One thing I will say while here. A mate said something about cutting some old beer or coke cans in half and using those as clamps... ever heard or tried anything like that?

Thanks anyway, I appreciate your time... Dave

1983 KZ1100 LTD..

More
18 Feb 2013 18:32 - 18 Feb 2013 18:32 #573057 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Base gasket leaking on 1983 KZ1100 ltd....
Where is the leak on a front corner or rear? I have a fix if it is leaking from the front, it requires removing the head but you can leave the cylinders alone.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2013 18:32 by baldy110.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
18 Feb 2013 18:34 #573058 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Base gasket leaking on 1983 KZ1100 ltd....
That's why anytime anybody talks about replacing a head gasket on here they always hear a little voice in the background that sounds a lot like mine,it wispers something like this:
ANYTIME YOU REPLACE A HEAD GASKET,REPLACE BASE GASKET AT SAME TIME! :woohoo:
For all the time and money it takes to replace a head gasket once,it sucks even more the second time. :blink:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
More
18 Feb 2013 18:37 #573059 by wireman
Remember to order the O-rings for base of 4 outside studs when you order the gaskets B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• saxonpirate
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1983 KZ1100 LTD
More
18 Feb 2013 19:15 - 18 Feb 2013 19:37 #573064 by saxonpirate
Replied by saxonpirate on topic Base gasket leaking on 1983 KZ1100 ltd....
Cheers guys...

Baldy, it appears to be coming from front left corner if you're sat on the bike, same side as gear shift.

Wireman, its sucking al-right :S Still, you live an learn, I'm looking at it as character building. Regarding those 4 O-rings on the outside studs, would they be the same as the 4 outside ones under the cylinder head? Also, what's this I hear about different material base gaskets with different thickness's...? I knew it wouldn't be that simple... :woohoo:

Bountyhunter, I like the thought of being able to get some seal in there, but what worries me a little is the space to clean up properly prior to sealing, and then of course putting it all back together and its still leaking. Still, that's my cross to bear.

I'm very grateful for the input from everybody, it definitely helps to make the job less daunting.

I'm off to get some kip now, got an early start in the morning... 10.30pm UK time.

Dave...

1983 KZ1100 LTD..

Last edit: 18 Feb 2013 19:37 by saxonpirate.

• wireman
  • User
More
18 Feb 2013 19:33 #573066 by wireman
Yes those are the same O-rings B)

More
18 Feb 2013 20:39 #573081 by natetru
Replied by natetru on topic Base gasket leaking on 1983 KZ1100 ltd....

wireman wrote: Remember to order the O-rings for base of 4 outside studs when you order the gaskets B)

yea...i learned that today!

1982 kz1000 m2 csr
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
18 Feb 2013 22:47 #573094 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Base gasket leaking on 1983 KZ1100 ltd....

saxonpirate wrote: ...I have the Kawasaki works manual and it shows a factory ring compressor clamped on all four cylinders. Now, I haven't got one of these, and was wondering if you guys have any tricks/tips for me to accomplish this job efficiently and successfully. At the moment I can't think for the life of me how I'm going to manage to drop the cylinder block over all four pistons single handed....

Some ideas --
www.kzrider.com/forum/advsearch?q=piston...ldforums=1&catids=21

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
20 Feb 2013 13:09 #573317 by Rickman
Replied by Rickman on topic Base gasket leaking on 1983 KZ1100 ltd....

natetru wrote:

wireman wrote: Remember to order the O-rings for base of 4 outside studs when you order the gaskets B)

yea...i learned that today!

Sorry to interrupt but I need to know more about this.
Wireman you're saying to put 4 o-rings under the cylinder block in addition to the ones on top of the cylinder block? I don't see these on the parts diagram... :huh:

1983 KZ1100-L1 "LTD Shaft"
Wiseco 10.5:1 1171 piston kit, bored by APE
Dyna 2000, Dyna S, Dyna grey coils, WG coil power mod, CB900 starter