Oil Pressure light is on !!!!

More
15 Feb 2013 21:29 #572590 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Oil Pressure light is on !!!!

bountyhunter wrote:

650ed wrote: If it is in fact an oil pump problem it could be that the light comes on after the oil gets hot and thins down a bit. Ed

Yep. That would worry me enough to buy or rent an oil pressure gauuge to isntall at the hole where the sender is. I have one I bought way back when.

That part:

he suggested either the switch is bad (switch, or wiring), or the filter (to the pump? not the main oil filter) is clogged thanks to the water foam that we've been slowly working out of the block

would really scare me. I would have risned the water out with solvent and blown it clean. Water and oil don't mix... literally.

I would also reccomend getting a pressure guage. Or you could just remove or loosen the bolt a little while idleing and see if the oils flowing. But it might get kinda messy. also dont run it very long and run it out of oil.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2013 22:36 #572604 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Oil Pressure light is on !!!!
You have water contaminating the oil? Step 1 - change the oil before you ruin the engine. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
15 Feb 2013 23:31 #572612 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Oil Pressure light is on !!!!
I think I'd change the dude working on his bike.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

More
15 Feb 2013 23:34 #572614 by mcmelend
Replied by mcmelend on topic Oil Pressure light is on !!!!
650ed ... I have changed the oil twice. nice and foamy white.

I just can't afford to rebuild the motor. Maybe in a few years... as for now i'm milking my piggy bank.

I checked the wiring from the switch to the harness, doesn't look like there's any shorting. I believe the problem is with the oil pump screen. So i hope my local kawi shop has the oil pan gasket so i can drop the pan and clean the screen.

Do i absolutely need a new gasket? or can i just use the old one to drop the pan and clean the screen?

1979 Kz750 Twin.

Behold Asian Ingenuity!

More
18 Feb 2013 14:21 #573021 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Oil Pressure light is on !!!!
I have re-used old gaskets in a pinch as long as the gasket comes off clean with no breaks. If it breaks upon removal then I would get another one.

More
18 Feb 2013 18:14 - 18 Feb 2013 18:16 #573051 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Oil Pressure light is on !!!!

mcmelend wrote: 650ed ... I have changed the oil twice. nice and foamy white.

I just can't afford to rebuild the motor. Maybe in a few years... as for now i'm milking my piggy bank.

I checked the wiring from the switch to the harness, doesn't look like there's any shorting. I believe the problem is with the oil pump screen. So i hope my local kawi shop has the oil pan gasket so i can drop the pan and clean the screen.

Do i absolutely need a new gasket? or can i just use the old one to drop the pan and clean the screen?

If it's like my 79 750, the pan gasket will tear to shreds upon removal. I had to use a sledge hammer to get the pan off. You can buy the gasket material at Pep Boys and make one for a couple of bucks. Can probably get an OEM one off ebay for maybe $10 ballpark.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 18 Feb 2013 18:16 by bountyhunter.

More
19 Feb 2013 15:56 #573187 by aek
Replied by aek on topic Oil Pressure light is on !!!!
I think the reason your oil light takes some time to come on is due to the original condition of the water and oil you have in the crankcase. The oil and water will try to separate and for the first mile or so the pump is pumping a liquid albeit one you don't want. It soon emulsifies and becomes a combination of water, oil and air. The pump cannot maintain pressure or maybe suction and there can't be much oil support in the bearing interfaces in the engine. I think it's urgent that you get this stuff out of the engine before you run it again. I would suggest removing the oil pan and the clutch cover and spraying cleaner up into the engine and transmission. I would use kerosene for this job.
Hope this is helpful.
art

1980 750-4 LTD original owner

More
19 Feb 2013 16:46 #573191 by mcmelend
Replied by mcmelend on topic Oil Pressure light is on !!!!
Hey aek

i totally agree ! - i got to thinking about it, when the oil becomes that frothy white crap it can't pressure properly hence the light kicking on later...

i've changed the oil 3 times since owning the bike, but i plan to take it to my mechanic and let him pull the pan and clutch cover like you said and clean those bad boys out, pluss clean the oil pump screen... bet it's crapped over.

1979 Kz750 Twin.

Behold Asian Ingenuity!