Are MAC exhaust's any good?

More
25 Jan 2013 18:13 #569248 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic Are MAC exhaust's any good?

KZJOE900 wrote:

ed spangler wrote: [
KZJoe900 :)
BTW, Do you still have your Mac pipes?? Interested in selling them? I am wondering if maybe I just got a set that weren't made correctly, My pair when installed did not line up with the bolt hole for rear mount where you show the arrow!! We had to move the tail pipes forward so they would fit together /connect at the joint with header pipe and make a hanger for things to line up for the rear hanger bolt hole!!, interestingly, my cousin who helped me with the resto mod on my bike, has a '76 KZ900..... same Mac 4 n 2 exhaust system, same fitment / alignment issues!! he had to make hangers for his also!! Must have been some changes made at some point in the manufacturing process.....maybe at one point they were actually made in the USA??, mine were made in China I think.By the way, my '75 is Painted Black also!
Thanks
ED
ed.spangler68@gmail.com

Hi Ed, yes I wouldn't mind selling. Just can't see how there can be any difference from your pipe to mine. Do you want me to take some measurements of the exhaust system and bike frame for you? Just wouldn't want you to waste your time with it. I caan assure you that it didn't have any of the soothing issues at the tailpipe/header connection you described. Only soot I could remember seeing was on the header portion, the area of the pipe which fit inside the tail pipe. But nothing external. Fit was good. I had taken the tail pipes off and on a two or three times during this past year and driven it afterwards. No issues. My only concern is that your frame may be slightly different than a KZ900, don't know something's amiss. Maybe someone here can chime in. Is there any differences in between an KZ900A4, KZ1000, or LTD frame with regards to header and tail pipe measurements? There isn't any in that area of the frame as far as I know. Just wouldn't want you to end up with the same issue.

Sending you a PM
ED

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2013 18:30 #569251 by ed spangler

Proxy wrote: I like a quiet bike. All the better for sneaking in at 2am or eluding blue light specials. My CSR had stock exhaust that seemed a little throaty when I got it. Found out exhaust was ready to crumble. Looked good tho. There was a donor bike in the shed that had an almost new MAC on it. Not really wanting a screamer reluctantly I switched to it and I love it. A little throatier very solid, vibration free and I like it's looks. Seems of decent quality. I hear what others are saying about the flanges but don't over tighten them and lock them with another nut. 3+ years and no issues and quite a few compliments on look and sound. Mac's are OK in my book.

Hello Proxy B)
Gotta say those are some nice looking pipes! B)
For my part, my problem was not with "Flanges", ( Maybe someone else had a problem with that?) mine was with the pipes being significantly different in size where they connected and one is just way too big allowing for a big leak ., even then , if Mac had had the decency to at least respond to my repeated inquirys...? My money is on some kind of manufacturing misscommunication on dimensions, its for ex. as if the ID of Header pipe at Connection is 3 1/2 and the OD of Tailpipe thats slips inside Header pipe is 2 1/2 !! BIG Difference! Just flops around. Thinking I may have to take it somewhere they can Expand the OD of Tailpipe so it fits "Tighter".
Yeah Piss Poor Customer Service on Macs part, :angry:
Just my .02, Thaanks for listening
Thanks
ED

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
25 Jan 2013 23:36 #569293 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Are MAC exhaust's any good?
Wow that is a big difference. Muffler shop can usually do some but that is a big difference. Don't hurt to ask but could split.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
26 Jan 2013 08:19 #569349 by ed spangler

Proxy wrote: Wow that is a big difference. Muffler shop can usually do some but that is a big difference. Don't hurt to ask but could split.

Proxy
Would like to ask a couple questions about your bike.
Sending you a PM
Thanks
ED

More
16 Jun 2014 23:58 #636944 by Newimperial
Replied by Newimperial on topic Are MAC exhaust's any good?
Hi all
I got a local guy to make this for me from Stainless. Silencer is from eBay.
What do you think?

I Started out with nothing and still have most of it left.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58