Motion Pro Clutch Cable Too Long

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
21 Jan 2013 21:52 #568562 by Topper
Motion Pro Clutch Cable Too Long was created by Topper
Wondering if anyone else has run into this. I ordered a Motion Pro clutch cable (MP03-0023) billed as fitting a KZ750B for my 1979 KZ750B-4.

The cable I got is a couple inches too long. I got it to fit and work the clutch, but I had to route it from the clutch cover, across to the right hand frame tube, zip tie it there, then cross back to the left frame tube and run up to the clutch lever.

Of course I didn't discover this until the cable was lubed and halfway on the bike, so no returns (plus I really wanted to ride that day :whistle: )

Anybody else run into this? Can you recommend a replacement clutch cable that's the right length?

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2013 23:15 #568575 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Motion Pro Clutch Cable Too Long
Yes...buy OEM when possible. Not only for correct length, but better quality in the details.
Example: The OEM crimped end that inserts into the hand-lever (on my bike) has a cover which rotates as the lever is pulled/released, which minimizes stress on the cable at that high-stress spot.

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
22 Jan 2013 00:49 #568591 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Motion Pro Clutch Cable Too Long
Yea, oem superior, but most likely no longer available. The thing about aftermarket that grates on me is just this. Motion Pro consolidates so many cables into one "replacement". Kawasaki uses 300 different clutch cables probably of which some are nearly identical, some +/- an inch or whatever. Motion Pro bulks up a bunch that are within a certain range and makes a replacement that is usable, but rarely perfect, so the cable you get will never or at least rarely be exact length as original was. Not just motion pro, as I have nothing against their cables for the most part, but just a general statement about the entire aftermarket motorcycle parts as seen by myself, which obviously has seen not great results with aftermarket, but you do what you have to do. Kawasaki chose to not make every part for every motorcycle available, and I can understand that and am glad at least Motion Pro and others step in, but wish they were a little more stringent about making things the correct dimensions.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58

More
22 Jan 2013 01:33 #568602 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Motion Pro Clutch Cable Too Long

Topper wrote: Wondering if anyone else has run into this. I ordered a Motion Pro clutch cable (MP03-0023) billed as fitting a KZ750B for my 1979 KZ750B-4.

The cable I got is a couple inches too long. I got it to fit and work the clutch, but I had to route it from the clutch cover, across to the right hand frame tube, zip tie it there, then cross back to the left frame tube and run up to the clutch lever.

Of course I didn't discover this until the cable was lubed and halfway on the bike, so no returns (plus I really wanted to ride that day :whistle: )

Anybody else run into this? Can you recommend a replacement clutch cable that's the right length?

Per Z1E:
MP03-0023 is 58.5" long;
Optional MP03-0018 is 54.5" long.

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...KZ750&item=MP03-0023

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...KZ550&item=MP03-0018

Is the shorter cable not long enough? :unsure:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
22 Jan 2013 02:26 #568608 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Motion Pro Clutch Cable Too Long
I got a cable from a kz900 to fit my kz750 ltd because I changed my handlebars to regular kz style handlebars.

More
22 Jan 2013 04:53 #568618 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Motion Pro Clutch Cable Too Long

Topper wrote: Wondering if anyone else has run into this. I ordered a Motion Pro clutch cable (MP03-0023) billed as fitting a KZ750B for my 1979 KZ750B-4.

exactly what I did on my B4. I couldn't find an OEM one.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jan 2013 08:54 #568624 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic Motion Pro Clutch Cable Too Long

Patton wrote: Per Z1E:
MP03-0023 is 58.5" long;
Optional MP03-0018 is 54.5" long.

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...KZ750&item=MP03-0023

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...KZ550&item=MP03-0018

Is the shorter cable not long enough? :unsure:

I'm going to try the shorter cable next. Measured my old one end to end. It's about 53.5. So the 54.5 one should fit.

So the lesson is I would have been smarter to take the old cable off and measure it before ordering a new cable. I just figured if it was listed as fitting, it would fit.

Not sure why the longer cable is listed for B4. It'd only work properly if you had some big ole ape hangers or some seriously pulled back handlebars.

If you've got the stock bars order the shorter cable which I think is listed as being for a KZ550.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
22 Jan 2013 10:02 #568630 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Motion Pro Clutch Cable Too Long
See PM. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jan 2013 13:48 #568659 by Topper
The folks at Z1 Enterprises suggested that my handlebars may not be stock. They said the '79 KZ750 originally came with some big LTD bars. Mine aren't like that. They're more standard looking bars with a modest rise and not a whole lot of pull back.

It's certainly possible that a PO replaced the bars. I'd assumed they were stock, but honestly I don't know. If anyone has pics of the stock bars I'd love to see them.

Fortunately it's an inexpensive part. I'm going to try the shorter KZ550 cable.

If I'd had the patience and foresight to measure the cable that was on the bike before ordering I'd have known not to order this part. It's way too long for my bike.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
22 Jan 2013 14:21 #568664 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Motion Pro Clutch Cable Too Long

Topper wrote: The folks at Z1 Enterprises suggested that my handlebars may not be stock. They said the '79 KZ750 originally came with some big LTD bars. Mine aren't like that. They're more standard looking bars with a modest rise and not a whole lot of pull back.

It's certainly possible that a PO replaced the bars. I'd assumed they were stock, but honestly I don't know. If anyone has pics of the stock bars I'd love to see them....

Let's try this --
www.vuvox.com/collage_express/collage.swf?collageID=03f9d12505

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jan 2013 14:48 #568669 by Topper
That's what my bars look like. So that confirms for me that the Motion Pro clutch cable listed as a replacement for the KZ750B is too long for a bike with stock bars.

Thanks Patton. Sweet bike by the way!

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
22 Jan 2013 14:50 #568671 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Motion Pro Clutch Cable Too Long
I ordered a speedometer cable from one of our regular supliers that was about an inch short of being usable routed any way ended up measuring original and calling for certain length cable

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...