what are allowed cylinder-measurement tolerance?

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
02 Jan 2013 21:30 - 02 Jan 2013 21:31 #565620 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic what are allowed cylinder-measurement tolerance?
So here's what my situation is -- the cylinder, after I honed it, I'm getting a 0.3mm (!) piston-to-newly-honed cylinder clearance -- that's measuring the old piston and the newly-honed cylinder.

Now, I never had this one running, I got it non-running so it must've been knocking with mighty loud piston-slap when it last ran.

A 0.3mm clearance, converted to inches, is 0.0118 inches of clearance.

Sounds like I need to bore it to the next oversize *after* buying a new piston set.

Can I get by with just the top end or do I need to do the bottom end too? Could get real expensive.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker
Last edit: 02 Jan 2013 21:31 by newOld_kz1000.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2013 21:53 #565624 by zed1015
Ok. Your bores are buggered and need new pistons and rebore.

Going by your user name you have a kz1000 ?
These are bullet proof and unless it has had serious neglect the bottom end won't need touching.
While you have the exhaust off etc i would pull the sump and check that oil pump pick up gauze is clear of obstructions.
Good luck.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Jan 2013 22:13 #565629 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic what are allowed cylinder-measurement tolerance?
Okay good deal, yep this is not the first kz1000 I've owned, I think they must be over-built as modern California police bikes use basically the same engine 35 years on with some upgrades, glad to hear about the bottom end.

I will have a look at the screen -- if memory serves me correctly, you can pull the oil pan off the bottom without removing the engine, I'll get in there with some kerosene or something and flush it out.

More
02 Jan 2013 22:25 #565631 by zed1015
Yep!
When the end of the world comes all that will be left is cockroaches and KZ engines :lol:

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
03 Jan 2013 02:11 #565661 by wireman
Theres no magic formula that Im aware of for figuring what a kz motor needs without opening it up and actually checking it.
Ive seen motors with 30,000 plus on them still look surprisingly like new inside if they were taken care of,but at the same time Ive seen motors with 10,000 on them that I was shocked at the amount of wear inside! :sick:
Check oil pump/cam chain and related stuff while youre in there B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Jan 2013 10:55 #565681 by newOld_kz1000

wireman wrote: Theres no magic formula that Im aware of for figuring what a kz motor needs without opening it up and actually checking it.
Ive seen motors with 30,000 plus on them still look surprisingly like new inside if they were taken care of,but at the same time Ive seen motors with 10,000 on them that I was shocked at the amount of wear inside! :sick:
Check oil pump/cam chain and related stuff while youre in there B)

Okay will do, I'm hoping I find a clear oil pump pickup screen and no metal in the pan.