GPz 1100 cam cap bolt torque specs - again.....

More
07 Nov 2012 08:20 #557356 by LarryC
Torque them to whatever spec you fell good about. If you start with cap 1, then do 2 as soon as you can get the bolts started. Alternate back and forth to pull the cam down evenly.

Then 4 and 3 the same way. You'll put less stress on the threads. Just make sure when you do 4 that 3 already just started down over the thrust faces on the intake cam. Oil the threads on all the bolts.

Dowel pin taper goes up. Dowel pins should be in the head, not in the cap. Put some oil on them and their mating hole in the cap. Dowels should slip easily into the cap holes. That should be checked before any assembly has begun.

Larry C.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2012 09:38 #557365 by 650ed
Is there some reason Kawasaki didn't just use studs for fastening the cam caps so the threads in the cylinder head wouldn't be at risk of stripping? They did this for the exhaust pipe holders. Is this something that could be done by folks who strip a cam cap thread? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
07 Nov 2012 12:11 #557384 by wireman
Ive thought of that also,but it would be really tough to install/remove cams with studs in there B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
07 Nov 2012 16:00 #557407 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic GPz 1100 cam cap bolt torque specs - again.....

wireman wrote: Ive thought of that also,but it would be really tough to install/remove cams with studs in there B)

and easy to drag the polished bearing faces on the threads of the studs.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
07 Nov 2012 20:27 #557430 by LarryC
Actually, if they made the bolts about 5mm longer, it would help a bunch. They put too much initial force one to few threads for them to hold up against the resistance of a valve spring.

When you're starting down the high side caps, don't be afraid to push the cam down with your palm. You might be surprised how much load you can take off the threads doing that.

Larry C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman, KZJOE900, Del_Herring

More
09 Nov 2012 01:39 - 04 Dec 2012 14:29 #557603 by daveo
Using two Bessey Tradesman style woodworking clamps (one on each cap to press the caps/cams down fully), allows the bolt(s) to then follow with no stress on the threads, until all are fully inserted...then torque, and remove the clamps afterward.

I won't pull the caps down with bolts anymore. Been there.

Regarding weak threads: Could poor quality castings contribute to thread weakness?
Back then...when head production was cranking along, a few lesser-ones may have zipped past quality control.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 04 Dec 2012 14:29 by daveo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
09 Nov 2012 02:27 - 09 Nov 2012 02:28 #557611 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic GPz 1100 cam cap bolt torque specs - again.....
gutentight, that is what i learned while repairing Volkswagen cars if I haven't broke it and it is not going to fall off the correct number is of foot pounds is gutentight. i also learned righty tighty and lefty loosey. also if you do break it and it is easy to get to then you can take a small hammer and a small sharp punch to turn it carefully, also you may heat the metal around it with a torch if you think that will help.
yes, gutentight and threadlocker.
Last edit: 09 Nov 2012 02:28 by donthaveakawman.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
11 Nov 2012 18:54 #557943 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic GPz 1100 cam cap bolt torque specs - again.....
my local library reference database says 12 ft/lbs for the kz1000/1100 81-2002

More
11 Nov 2012 19:06 #557946 by MFolks
Kawasaki Cam Cap Bolt Torque

Cam Cap Bolts - 8ft/lbs and no more. Oil the threads before you install them. Make SURE the dowels pins have the tapered end pointing up toward the cam cap. Drop of oil on them and inside the cap boss hole where the dowels slide in.

Remove the 17mm cap nut, spring and split plunger to unload the tensioner. You need to do that when ever the valve cover is removed to prevent over tight cam chain on J motors.

Do not re-install the split plunger, spring & cap nut until after you have the valve cover installed.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
11 Nov 2012 19:59 #557957 by donthaveakawman
I am definitely going to have to get myself an inch pounds torque wrench, I have broken a bolt or two with a worn ft/lbs torque wrench.

More
13 Nov 2012 07:59 #558170 by Polar_Bus
Replied by Polar_Bus on topic GPz 1100 cam cap bolt torque specs - again.....

donthaveakawman wrote: I am definitely going to have to get myself an inch pounds torque wrench, I have broken a bolt or two with a worn ft/lbs torque wrench.

With 6 different bikes, I now do a lot of small dia. bolt torquing so I finally purchased a 1/4" torque wrench. It was only like $45 and works great. No more worring about stripped threads or snapped bolt heads.

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy

More
13 Nov 2012 18:22 #558232 by RonKZ650
Yea, get an inch pound for small bolts. The problem is most if not all torque wrenches are normally rated as accurate from 20% to full scale, so in other words if you have a ft/lb torque wrench that reads to 75ft/lb it is only accurate down to 15ft/lb, below that you are taking your chances. I'm sure there are many good torque wrenches, some decent low priced models possibly but I found a good torque wrench in the mid price point is CDI which is a devision of Snap on tools.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.