kz750-4 spark plugs

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
29 Oct 2012 16:12 #556246 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic kz750-4 spark plugs

650ed wrote: I have good news for you. If the plugs you show in the pictures are BR7ES and the plugs called for in the manual are B8ES you should not change the jetting or anything at this point. The 7 in BR7ES signifies that those plugs are 1 heat range hotter than the B8ES plugs called for in your manual. That will cause the plugs to retain more heat and cause them to show symptoms similar to those related to lean carburetion. Run the bike with the new plugs and check them to see if there are any lean carb symptoms. Ed

Ed, where in this post does the owner complain of a lean condition. The strap of the plug is showing a 50% or under heat range.....this is proper and well in spec for bike. I see no problems with these plugs and would be careful to suggest that there are any problems with the plugs. The pics were taken under a close flash condition and caused them to be whiter than they are.....as this has happened to me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2012 16:57 - 29 Oct 2012 16:58 #556250 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic kz750-4 spark plugs

4TheKZ1000 wrote:

650ed wrote: I have good news for you. If the plugs you show in the pictures are BR7ES and the plugs called for in the manual are B8ES you should not change the jetting or anything at this point. The 7 in BR7ES signifies that those plugs are 1 heat range hotter than the B8ES plugs called for in your manual. That will cause the plugs to retain more heat and cause them to show symptoms similar to those related to lean carburetion. Run the bike with the new plugs and check them to see if there are any lean carb symptoms. Ed

Ed, where in this post does the owner complain of a lean condition. The strap of the plug is showing a 50% or under heat range.....this is proper and well in spec for bike. I see no problems with these plugs and would be careful to suggest that there are any problems with the plugs. The pics were taken under a close flash condition and caused them to be whiter than they are.....as this has happened to me.

You are correct, he didn’t complain about a lean condition; I did not mean to imply that he did (sorry if it sounded that way). In the thread Donthaveakawman stated “those are white and you know it.” Later in the thread the owner asked “So... at least but not at last... lean or OK?” and “If it is lean... do I have to change jets? or can I adjust the air pilot jet screw (near the carbs top cover).” This led me to believe the owner was at least somewhat concerned about a lean condition.

The owner stated “Yesterday I changed this spark plugs to the original specs according to manual: B8ES.” I did not suggest that there are any problems with the plugs, and I did not advise the owner to change the plugs; he got that from a manual.

The only point I was trying to make was that since the plugs in the picture are 1 heat range hotter than those called for in the manual, and since the owner has now installed the colder plugs, he should check the condition of the colder plugs before trying to determine if he has a lean condition or making any decisions on jetting changes. I certainly was not trying to advise him as to whether or not he has a lean condition. I’m no plug reading expert for sure, so I would not offer such advice. I was just pointing out that hotter plugs may show a different color than colder plugs. This is based on my personal experience having originally run too cold a plug type in my bike. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 29 Oct 2012 16:58 by 650ed.

More
29 Oct 2012 18:19 #556260 by undiablo
Replied by undiablo on topic kz750-4 spark plugs
Thanks to everyone guys. Please don´t get angry between KZRiders! ;)
I just wanted to check because of donthaveakawman reply...since I´m new to the KZ world.

I will post new pictures once I ride 100 miles.

For the record, yes I have used flash and macro in the picture

Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

More
29 Oct 2012 19:31 - 29 Oct 2012 19:31 #556265 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic kz750-4 spark plugs
No anger here for sure. Just clarifying in case my posting was confusing because I sometimes word things poorly. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 29 Oct 2012 19:31 by 650ed.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
29 Oct 2012 21:30 - 29 Oct 2012 21:46 #556288 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic kz750-4 spark plugs

undiablo wrote: Thanks to everyone guys. Please don´t get angry between KZRiders! ;)
I just wanted to check because of donthaveakawman reply...since I´m new to the KZ world.

I will post new pictures once I ride 100 miles.

For the record, yes I have used flash and macro in the picture

No it’s all good. I respect Ed and sure he understands that we are just conversing and not being cross.

I just felt that some forum posters can be influenced, confused or chase red herrings from bogus or unwarranted posts. Dont need this guy freakin out over nothing.

I answered the question as it was asked. The question was based on how the forum guest plugs look…..I keep my answer to how I felt the plugs looked. I found no issues with the condition of the plugs.
Last edit: 29 Oct 2012 21:46 by 4TheKZ1000.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
15 Nov 2012 02:30 #558432 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic kz750-4 spark plugs
so say a bike has intake, exhaust and fuel, should a hotter plug be used?