I may be buying a KZ1000. Should I?

More
18 Jun 2006 18:05 #55368 by Reave
Replied by Reave on topic I may be buying a KZ1000. Should I?
I did not catch your original post , but you will buy if you like the look of the things ,the way they go,the way they handle...or not etc.I like the one goose rode in Mad Max , they are a link to a wilder past.
However on a more mechanical theme most problems can be fixed given enough time skill and money, same go'es for electrical prob's.The thing that I have not been able to get round is the quality of the alloy used in the engins from that time it can be a bit variable.I run a GPz 1100 and have rebuilt the engine , on the strip down I found that the rocker caps had pulled and stripped thier threads on the right hand side which could have been caused bey warm up on the side stand but still worrying. All the stripped thresds were heli coiled and reasembled engine rocker cover was removed to check clerance some time later only to find more rocker caps had pulled thier threads.Also check rocker cover securing bolts,for chemical metal bodging I broke to thread castings trying to tourque down cover.
Any signs of rebuild or liquid gasket ask for discount or walk away.
I am at approx £3000 and rising.

Good luck you know it make sense !;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2006 08:20 #55475 by jenshhj
Replied by jenshhj on topic I may be buying a KZ1000. Should I?
Probably you will be able to get the bike on the road in a couple of days - and it will be rideable! :)

After a while you'll probably discover bits and pieces that need to be replaced, but you can probably live with them in "original" condition until you have the time etc to take care of them... you just might not want to ride quite as hard and fast until everything is sorted out.

Synchronizing carbs is not a problem (Motion pro have a cheap kit with mercury - you can spend more and get better systems, but the mercury one is quite accurate and easy to use www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1689 ) - but go ahead and clean them up, and replace all the parts in the kit you buy. Also take the gas tank off and get rid of any crud and rust which is lining the tank. I would remove the petcock assembly to give both it and the tank a good clean.

Johnny5 wrote:

Thanks for everyone's input. All received and catalogued in my little brain.

The paint is original dark green. I should be able to rebuild the carbs quite easily. I did on my old Yamaha Banshee. It's syncing them that Im a bit nervous about.

Im hoping to check it out thoroughly tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll try and post some pics.

Thanks again!

More
30 Jun 2006 08:37 #58255 by dtc
Replied by dtc on topic I may be buying a KZ1000. Should I?
I have a 1981 KZ 440 LTD. How did u lower yours?