Power Flow Exhaust

More
12 Aug 2012 13:31 #542099 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic Power Flow Exhaust
Saxjonz,...I agree !!! I have all three pipes, and the Bassani has the best looks, sound, & performance.....(in my oppinion).....Pete

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• saxjonz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KawboyZ
More
12 Aug 2012 16:21 #542119 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Power Flow Exhaust
The performance is all I care about. Bottom line, I put a pipe to maximize bike's potential. If the Bassani is better by 5-6HP I'm doing it. My RSX exhaust I put on a three inch exhaust instead of the 2.5 everyone else was doing. End result? 10hp gain on the dyno compared to the slightly larger pipe everyone else used. I'm a strong believer in tuning and if everyone tells me that Bassani is better for tuning I'm going to spend a bit more to find out. I rode my friends bike with a bassani. Something about the way it feels. Much more smooth and I think the bigger pipe is the reason. The sound is just sex to my ears. So, if it is not that much better at least I will have something out of the norm and the sound is just music.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
12 Aug 2012 16:37 #542124 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic Power Flow Exhaust
I agree again !!! everyone has Kerker, or Vance & Hines, but pipes like Bassani, & even some Yosh pipes, have such a unique look & sound....(that I.... LOVE)

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

• saxjonz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KawboyZ
More
12 Aug 2012 19:43 #542152 by saxjonz
Amen Pete.

79 LTD B3

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
13 Aug 2012 00:41 #542214 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Power Flow Exhaust
Sad thing is the Power Flow pipes come with gaskets made from Corn Flakes boxes. :pinch:
Just kidding haha.

I've seen a six into one on a CBX and it sounded damn good, but then a CBX would make an exhaust made from salvaged fence pipe sound good.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• saxjonz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KawboyZ
More
13 Aug 2012 02:38 #542228 by saxjonz
Did the guy happen to be named Pat?
They do sound evil incarnate.

79 LTD B3

More
13 Aug 2012 09:11 - 13 Aug 2012 09:15 #542242 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Power Flow Exhaust

saxjonz wrote: The performance is all I care about. Bottom line, I put a pipe to maximize bike's potential. If the Bassani is better by 5-6HP I'm doing it. My RSX exhaust I put on a three inch exhaust instead of the 2.5 everyone else was doing. End result? 10hp gain on the dyno compared to the slightly larger pipe everyone else used. I'm a strong believer in tuning and if everyone tells me that Bassani is better for tuning I'm going to spend a bit more to find out. I rode my friends bike with a bassani. Something about the way it feels. Much more smooth and I think the bigger pipe is the reason. The sound is just sex to my ears. So, if it is not that much better at least I will have something out of the norm and the sound is just music.

It's all relevant to a number of factors. I personally saw a KZ pick up .2 seconds by sleeving down a Bassani at the collector.

Larry C.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2012 09:15 by LarryC.

• saxjonz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KawboyZ
More
13 Aug 2012 11:47 #542257 by saxjonz
Ok, so the main difference would be that it is different and sounds different.

79 LTD B3

More
13 Aug 2012 12:14 #542263 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Power Flow Exhaust
Generally, with exhaust systems, there's a trade off somewhere in power range. Gain a bit here, loose a bit somewhere else to do that. No system is optimal for the entire RPM range.

A pipe can be evaluated many ways.

Sound - Performance - Fit - Looks - ease of oil filter access - price.

If that company makes custom pipes, then have one made specifically for what you want out of it. They should be asking you for specs for "YOUR" engine combo and also what you are looking for in an exhaust system. That's what the big dollars should be all about....specific design for a specific engine for a specific customer's expectations ;)

Larry C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
13 Aug 2012 13:09 #542271 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic Power Flow Exhaust
Good post LarryC. There are way too many factors weighing in on what makes an exhaust system work with any specific bike/engine combo to be able to put it all into a one size fits all pipe. I've heard more than once why the Denco small tube system always dominated the low ET scene. That doesn't mean that pipe would do good on a road course.

To tell you the truth, I don't care what pipe is on my KZ after I get off one of my ZRXs. It just doesn't matter, it's still just going to be an old KZ by comparison :P :silly:

Now, about this necked down Bassani.....care to elaborate? :whistle:

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

• saxjonz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KawboyZ
More
13 Aug 2012 23:09 #542430 by saxjonz
Larry, I was thinking, past tense, on ordering one of these but after seeing that they are nowhere near looking like bassani pipes I gave up. But for someone who has a six cylinder bike looking for a pipe this may be the ticket.
I totally agree with you on the whole pipe thing and tuning. I just heard many people say they like the bassani pipe because it feels different throughout the power band. I personally have always run Vance pipes. I never found an issue with them till the stock baffle got swapped out for a comp baffle and then the light shone. What a difference! The same guy that turned me on to that baffle also said he liked the Bassani pipes best but that they were impossible to find and that they rust out but they make really good power compared to the Vance. I don't know but I would like to find out. I think I found a pipe, unless the guy changes his mind. If he sells it, I'm buying it. If I don't like it, I'll put the Vance back and call it a day and let someone else who wants it buy it.
What has been your experience with the Bassani pipe? I don't think there could be that great of a difference between the pipes but I would like to see.

79 LTD B3

More
13 Aug 2012 23:43 #542443 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Power Flow Exhaust

LarryC wrote:

saxjonz wrote: The performance is all I care about. Bottom line, I put a pipe to maximize bike's potential. If the Bassani is better by 5-6HP I'm doing it. My RSX exhaust I put on a three inch exhaust instead of the 2.5 everyone else was doing. End result? 10hp gain on the dyno compared to the slightly larger pipe everyone else used. I'm a strong believer in tuning and if everyone tells me that Bassani is better for tuning I'm going to spend a bit more to find out. I rode my friends bike with a bassani. Something about the way it feels. Much more smooth and I think the bigger pipe is the reason. The sound is just sex to my ears. So, if it is not that much better at least I will have something out of the norm and the sound is just music.

It's all relevant to a number of factors. I personally saw a KZ pick up .2 seconds by sleeving down a Bassani at the collector.

Bingo! And if you can't do it at the collector you have to do it farther down the line.

Velocity = power = RRF RRF!