• Page:

TOPIC:

bad day 13 Jun 2006 11:16 #54226

• hardr0ck68
  • hardr0ck68's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
  • Thank you received: 3
well now... i will be looking for a head and jugs on ebay. but i reread the manual (after working on the bike while mad, which is why i WILL be needing a new head and jugs :blush: )

Looks like my bumb ass missed a couple of bolts....sigh

this will be an expensive and time consuming lession.
1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

bad day 13 Jun 2006 12:28 #54249

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
sometimes I just dont understand, I cut the damn thing twice and its still too short:
I cracked a fin on a spare engine the other day, it had rust in the cyl, had to use a air hammer to get the piston out, not sure what made me think the thing was going to be worth saving
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

bad day 13 Jun 2006 12:59 #54260

• hardr0ck68
  • User
well im going to keep going with the project; as todays blunders were no fault of the bike....it was me who dident REALLY read the manuel, and them me who broke my first rule of wrenching; dont wrench when mad.

Right now im going to go post a wanted ad for a used but runnable head and some jugs. Its a bummer i went and ruined these ones as they were in fair shape (high milage but nothing wrong with them).

well next years top end rebuild appears to starting now :p
1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

bad day 14 Jun 2006 18:14 #54542

• kaw-62046
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
If you find a good welder near you.He can weld the broken fins up and the intake runner also.I have some one near me that does all my repair work on heads and cylinders.And you can not even tell were the welds are at.He has been doing this type of welding for over 30 years.Do not scrap them just have them weled up.These old bike part are getting to hard to find.Later Mark

bad day 14 Jun 2006 20:25 #54568

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
I'll ad another to the "that also happened to me" posts.

I broke the top intake manifold screw off flush with the head for the #2 carb. :pinch:

This all started off in just trying to replace the intake manifolds with new ones, and I wasn't going to allow it to turn into a full fledged rebuild (that's for a later time).

I used a small right angle drill to get it started, then started turning the EZ-out into it....SNAP! :pinch: :angry:

Ok, long story short, I went and bought a couple of those cobalt tipped drill bits with the funny shaped heads on them (it kinda resembles a mushroom) and drilled into the head around the screw itself.
Once removed, I went and purchased a stud to install in the screws place, and just JB-welded it into the now enlarged hole where the screw once resided.
After letting it sit for a full 24 hours to cure, I installed the manifolds (I also replaced the screws on the other manifolds with studs as well), then just screwed some flanged nuts onto those studs.
Almost a full two years and roughly 20K later, and it's still holding solid.
Plus being on the #2 carb the repair can't be seen.
Besides, the manifold hides the repair anyway.
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

bad day 14 Jun 2006 20:26 #54569

• hardr0ck68
  • User
well im keeping the head and jugs maybe one day i will get them patched up; i just got a head off a fellow KZer nearby that is in MINT shape; and i picked up a set of jugs/pistons of ebay for 32.00 shipped (the auction went for 9.99).

I will keep them because i got the same advice from a few people already. A buddy looked at the head today and said he knows a guy who can weld and surface it so it looks like new; all while only taking .0010-.0015 off the surface. Maybe i will build a 700 kit out of these parts one day.

Thanks for all the the help guys!!

Rocco
1977 kz650 c1

bad day 15 Jun 2006 20:17 #54792

• agawam
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
where are you located, I have a complete 77 650 engine here, not a great engine but all the parts are there, came off a parts bike that sat in some guys shed for quite a few years, if you are close enough you can come and get it, Im in western mass near springfield

• Page: