Sprocket-cover cracked! Wy?

More
07 Jul 2012 16:29 #534531 by GreatDane
Sprocket-cover cracked! Wy? was created by GreatDane
Hey Everyone

Today i finally got my '79 Z650 on the road, hooray! I went for a short run on some backroads (around 40 miles), and after around 30 miles I got a squeeky sound when I pulled in the clutch-lever, some times more, some times less. I decided to head home, and around 2 miles from home I pulled the clutch again, stopping in an intersection, and my sprocketcover cracked!! :blink:

Can anybody tell me what the f... is going on?

Pretty bummed right now, need to go hunting for a new cover or somebody with welding-equipment for doing it back up?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2012 16:56 #534534 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Sprocket-cover cracked! Wy?
Ever cleaned and lubed the clutch rod throw out mechanism? It was probably past due for service, putting undue strain on the sprocket cover. I'd think if the cover is not to badly cracked, a local welding shop might be able to fix it for you, and there's always the salvage yards:

Motorcycle Salvage Companies
www.cycle-salvage.com
www.motorcycle-recycle-center.com/
www.newrivercyclesalvage.com/index.html
www.bornagainbikes.net/
www.motolane.com/
www.williescycle.com/

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
07 Jul 2012 18:07 #534545 by GreatDane
Replied by GreatDane on topic Sprocket-cover cracked! Wy?
Well thank you, I think it should be cleaned and lubed up alright, but I'll have to have a look at it tomorrow.

Thanks again

More
09 Jul 2012 04:25 #534782 by Garn
Replied by Garn on topic Sprocket-cover cracked! Wy?
GreatDane, that sprocket cover carries an unexpected amount of the clutch load. I've have seen the sprocket cover move when clutch is pulled in. It must be tight on all four retaining points, as the worm actuator pushes against this sprocket cover. You will notice also, that the cover has dowels on at least two of the retaining points to provide a solid base to push against the clutch springs.

1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia

More
09 Jul 2012 11:26 #534824 by damarble
Replied by damarble on topic Sprocket-cover cracked! Wy?
It makes you wonder how good an idea it is to drill speed holes in it like some people have, possibly weakening it more.

Go green, buy a Kawasaki!

82 KZ750M CSR Build Thread

89 ZX600C Streetfighter

More
13 Jul 2012 06:56 #535602 by GreatDane
Darmable: Exactly my thought, I don't understand how they don't break every other week.

Garn: I believe the bolts were evenly tightened, but off course, with this happened, I've been wondering about it too.

I finally got the time to pull the cover of today, I thought it had only cracked on the upper half, so I wanted to bring to a local shop that I use for other jobs (job-related stuff), that I believed could weld it. When I took it off, I found out that the bolthole on the lower front was ripped off too, so I think it's impossible to save now. The other thing i found out was that my pushrod was bend (the part that sticks out of the engine), and that the bearing-ball on the other end was worn flat, and in some way stuck to the end of the pushrod, maybe that's part of the problem?

More
13 Jul 2012 10:11 #535624 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Sprocket-cover cracked! Wy?
Not maybe; for sure. You should get replacements for the cover, rod, and ball bearing, install, and adjust correctly using the manual as your guide. These things do not break or bend easily, so clearly someone goofed before when installing cover and adjusting clutch. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
14 Jul 2012 13:46 #535854 by 2wheeladdict
Replied by 2wheeladdict on topic Sprocket-cover cracked! Wy?
Would seriously consider a roller bearing clutch pusher also. Had the same issue with my kz1000. When I bought it.

80 KZ1000 LTD
81 Yamaha XJ650 maxim
84 CR60r

More
14 Jul 2012 18:02 #535904 by GreatDane
Ed: Thanks alot for confirming my suspicion, I'm pretty new to this so I can only look at what doesn't look right, learn as I go - nice to have a forum like this to be assured that you're on the right track. I've talked to the guy that I bought the bike from today, and he was almost certain that he had a few covers lying around, he'll phone me tomorrow.

2wheeladdict: Sorry, as mentioned above I'm all new to wrenching old bikes (or any bikes for that matter, used to be into cars). Can you explain to me more specificly what that is, how it works, where I can get it and such?

More
14 Jul 2012 18:44 - 14 Jul 2012 18:44 #535908 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Sprocket-cover cracked! Wy?

GreatDane wrote: 2wheeladdict: Sorry, as mentioned above I'm all new to wrenching old bikes (or any bikes for that matter, used to be into cars). Can you explain to me more specificly what that is, how it works, where I can get it and such?

+1

Where can you get one from?

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!
Last edit: 14 Jul 2012 18:44 by mtbspeedfreak.

More
14 Jul 2012 19:09 #535912 by jeffasaki
Replied by jeffasaki on topic Sprocket-cover cracked! Wy?
had the same thing happen to a 900 years ago
the ball on the end of the rod friction welded itself to the pushrod
it the spins with the clutch
which turns the clutch actuator in the sprocket cover
and pushed the cover out til it cracked
it was my fault for over reving the bike
you gotta check the clutch side for damage as well :(

78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

More
15 Jul 2012 00:38 #535986 by 2wheeladdict
Replied by 2wheeladdict on topic Sprocket-cover cracked! Wy?
I am pretty sure I bought it from z1 enterprises. If not from APE. Instead of a friction contact against the clutch housing from the clutch pusher which causes the spin weld to bearing as mentioned above there are roller bearings on the face of the clutch pusher that spin and take some of the friction off the ball bearing and pushrod contact points. My parts were spun welded and sprocket cover cracked just as you described. Only have about 650 miles on mine since repair but absolutely no issues. Had to pull assembly out the clutch side to repair. Good luck.

80 KZ1000 LTD
81 Yamaha XJ650 maxim
84 CR60r