sand in the crankcase GPZ 550

More
30 May 2012 17:14 - 30 May 2012 17:18 #525913 by dfinnegan71
sand in the crankcase GPZ 550 was created by dfinnegan71
Ok now that I have your attention, it's not alot of sand. Just enough to fit on the tip of your finger maybe more. I was pulling off the top end today of my 81' GPZ 550 to change the base gasket as well as cylinder head gasket. Now when I pulled off the cylinders, there was so much sand, gravel, road grit, and what have you it was impossible not to let any fall in. I saw about 3 little clusters of sand go down, but i have a feeling it might be more. So my question is, what do you guru's do when this happens? Do you flush it out with more oil? Gas? Kerosene? Tell me all about it.

1981 GPZ 550 mild custom
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 May 2012 17:18 by dfinnegan71. Reason: added pic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2012 17:31 #525916 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic sand in the crankcase GPZ 550
too late to tell you, but for others, whenever you plan lifting the cyl block off, first, spend plenty of time with compressed air blowing of the dust around the cyl. studs, poking there with a something pointy

Then, always take the bike to be pressure washed around the fins and get more of the road grime off. Even if there's still dirt it will be wet and less likely to fall inside.

now that it happened, mmm... not so good. start with a strong vaccum cleaner to try and suck as much as you can and as a minimum, take at least the sump off and try to wash down the grit.

if it was a 900-1000 with a roller crank, wouldnt worry that much as its less sensitive to dirt particles but on a plain bearing motor like the 550, i'd be more concerned. depends really on you and how much of a risk you want to take. there's no magic method to make sure every little grain of sand got out other than splititng the cases.

More
30 May 2012 17:32 - 30 May 2012 17:35 #525917 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic sand in the crankcase GPZ 550
Sorry; I'm no help here; but I have a related question. How could one prevent the sand, etc. from falling into the crankcase? I assume (this could be a mistake) that the grit was somehow hidden in the area where the studs enter the bottom end and the recesses near them as circled in pic below. Are there other places where the grit hides? Would packing those areas with thick grease prior to dis-assembly hold the grit in place so it wouldn't fall into the bottom end? Thanks, Ed

Attachment ForkOffwithcircles.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 May 2012 17:35 by 650ed.

More
30 May 2012 17:56 #525926 by steell
Replied by steell on topic sand in the crankcase GPZ 550
Worst case, the sand you missed will score the oil pump. It's kind of hard for it to get to the bearings because it goes through the oil filter first.

Dump about a gallon of kerosene/diesel into the motor, all at once if possible, so it will splash around and hit everything, followed by about a gallon of used oil from your last oil change. After removing the sump of course. Then continue with your plans.

Good thing Kawasaki designed an oil filter into their motors, eh :)

KD9JUR
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
30 May 2012 18:35 #525934 by dfinnegan71
Replied by dfinnegan71 on topic sand in the crankcase GPZ 550
Thanks steell that's what I will try. When you say "the sump" you mean the oil filter right?

1981 GPZ 550 mild custom

More
30 May 2012 18:37 #525935 by dfinnegan71
Yes, 650ed, that is where the majority of the grit and shit was located. But i was surprised at how much. I shouldn't have been to surprised cuz this things been leaking really bad for the last 300 miles or so. I mean bad enough that you woulda thunk this was an early 80's HD not a Kawi!

1981 GPZ 550 mild custom

More
30 May 2012 18:58 #525942 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic sand in the crankcase GPZ 550
I'd drop the pan and wash down from the top with mineral spirits.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
30 May 2012 19:12 #525946 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic sand in the crankcase GPZ 550

dfinnegan71 wrote: Thanks steell that's what I will try. When you say "the sump" you mean the oil filter right?

Oil pan B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
30 May 2012 19:36 #525951 by dfinnegan71
Ya oil pan that's what I meant. Geez If i am tearing down a motor i better know the difference! And hey Bountyhunter, I happen to have a gallon of mineral spirits hanging around the garage here....great idea.

1981 GPZ 550 mild custom

More
30 May 2012 21:06 #525963 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic sand in the crankcase GPZ 550

650ed wrote: Sorry; I'm no help here; but I have a related question. How could one prevent the sand, etc. from falling into the crankcase? I assume (this could be a mistake) that the grit was somehow hidden in the area where the studs enter the bottom end and the recesses near them as circled in pic below. Are there other places where the grit hides? Would packing those areas with thick grease prior to dis-assembly hold the grit in place so it wouldn't fall into the bottom end? Thanks, Ed

Attachment ForkOffwithcircles.jpg not found

Ed,

I love how clean you keep your bike! :)

Larry C.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
30 May 2012 21:24 #525972 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic sand in the crankcase GPZ 550
Ed,

Where did you get that pretty "spring" cover for your clutch cable? That looks like a well-thought addition...

More
30 May 2012 23:17 - 30 May 2012 23:18 #525999 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic sand in the crankcase GPZ 550
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThanks Larry!

DoubleDub - that's a genuine Kawasaki cable. I noticed that some of the aftermarket ones don't have the spring. I'm probably wrong, but I think the spring helps to keep the lower end of the cable sleeve firmly seated in the engine cover. Here's what the new old stock (NOS) KZ650 part looks like:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 30 May 2012 23:18 by 650ed.