how to adjust my slotted cam sprockets??

More
23 Apr 2012 22:15 #517639 by boose
hi i have a 76 kz 1000... gpz head with cleaned up ports, slightly bigger valves, decked down a little as well as cylinder head, 10 .25 to 1 weisco pistons, mild andrews cams, 33 smoothbores, pods and kerker. had bike all the way together but could not get the timing right, well did a lil research and realized i needed slotted cam sprockets when you deck the head and cylinder down. i have the sprockets now and have no idea how to put them in and adjust them. can somone please give me detailed instructions. thank you very much. been working on this bike for 3 years, and i hope this does the trick.

Attachment IMG_0527.JPG not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2012 22:24 #517643 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic how to adjust my slotted cam sprockets??
How much is "decked a little" ?

Did you have the head and block shaved to get the compression ratio back up because you used KZ pistons with a J Head?

Larry C.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
23 Apr 2012 22:35 #517646 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic how to adjust my slotted cam sprockets??

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
24 Apr 2012 00:24 #517680 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic how to adjust my slotted cam sprockets??
'Decking' will retard can timing from what it was before.

And use the link posted above to help you thru the cam degreeing process.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
24 Apr 2012 11:22 #517763 by boose
Replied by boose on topic how to adjust my slotted cam sprockets??
Correct... Old head needed milled bad, Long story short my good friend raced Kz drag. Had a few heads laying around and we decided it was time to upgrade. The head u now have came off of a nitro bike which has lower comp. so yes in order to get it back up we took 15 thousand off or so, and figure shave the cyl down to get good seal am up comp a Lil as well. Cyl was 30 from hole we took off 17 thousand

More
24 Apr 2012 11:26 #517764 by boose

Nebr_Rex wrote: 'Decking' will retard can timing from what it was before.

And use the link posted above to help you thru the cam degreeing process.

thanks for the link.. I will research and start wrenching after work today...

More
25 Apr 2012 13:07 #518010 by boose
So let me get this right put the cams in as I would usually with 1 bolt snug??

More
25 Apr 2012 14:59 #518027 by LarryC

boose wrote: Correct... Old head needed milled bad, Long story short my good friend raced Kz drag. Had a few heads laying around and we decided it was time to upgrade. The head u now have came off of a nitro bike which has lower comp. so yes in order to get it back up we took 15 thousand off or so, and figure shave the cyl down to get good seal am up comp a Lil as well. Cyl was 30 from hole we took off 17 thousand

I thought so. While that works, it's not the best route. Using the correct pistons is always the better choice. Decking the head and block brings valves into closer proximity to the pistons & the valve angle on that head will not match the valve angle of the valve pockets on the pistons. Close but not exact.

I hope you don't have Andrews 3x cams. Those have a ton of overlap lift. That is important especially considering you don't have experience in degreeing the cams and the crucial clearances that need to be adhered to.

My advice to you is to run no tighter than 108 centers. Good luck :) Pay close attention to what you're doing. Hope it all goes well....

Larry C.

More
25 Apr 2012 15:17 #518029 by boose
I have weisco 10 25 to 1 the tops are cut out for that I thought.. Already had bike running with stock cam sprockets. Think the clearance is good. And the cams are 365 lift or so. Not 3x just a mild afteraket cam I believe

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
25 Apr 2012 16:45 - 25 Apr 2012 17:42 #518037 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic how to adjust my slotted cam sprockets??
Larry knows what hes talking about so dont go below 108 without measureing.
if u have wiesco pistons for a kz, the pockets r cut for a kz valve and head. now u have a j head with bigger valves, and milled some off. so u need to be careful that the pistons dont get to close to the valves and the valves dont get to close to each other. talk to your bud that gave u the head. he will be able to explain exactly what to measure, and why. as the lobe centers #'s get smaller, the valves come closer together. since u r mismatching parts , its best to measure everything properly, rather than risk using numbers u hear may work.
it would be interesting to know what the compresion is now. u may need small lc's to gain compresion with that head, but maynot be able to use them since it has been milled.
are u running 1075cc's ?
learning is part of the fun.
Good luck and have fun.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 25 Apr 2012 17:42 by mark1122.

More
26 Apr 2012 10:02 - 26 Apr 2012 10:08 #518174 by LarryC
That lift would be a 2x grind, similar to Web 118. Specs can be had on Andrews Web Site. They're mild :)

Here's the deal with what you have going on. 2x on stock sprockets with a fresh cam chain would be on 110 centers [approximately]. Andrews calls for a 106 on that grind. 108 is half way. Moving a cam 2 degrees isn't anything you're going to notice a big difference with.

If it's idling rough and if you have an old cam chain and old idlers in the motor, your centers may be above 110. I've seen them as high as 118 with a stretched out cam chain before. Can't say what you have BUT if the bike idles poorly and the carbs are setup correctly, then very late cam timing could be the culprit.

If your ignition system as a rev limiter, set it at 8500.

Larry C.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2012 10:08 by LarryC.

More
07 May 2012 11:54 #520475 by boose
K cams are in and operating good soo far...bike was breaking up on top end, plugs were white. Haa now I am to jetting, put 127.5 was way lean put 140 in and still lean... Boy she's hungry for fuel then we drilled out the 140 lack of jets obviously to a 1/16 drill bit which took just a hair out o the 140 jet. Now it's getting close maybe one size richer. I took it for a test drive and it ran like a raped ape. Soo here is my question, it idles good, but when i rev it up and let right off the rpm stay up for a second, it doesn't come right down. Is that a sign of being lean still? Or should I put bigger pilot jets or what? Plug pic is after the drilled jets being ran