Mounting KZ 900 on a engine stand

More
12 Apr 2012 10:39 #515402 by BSKZ650
Mounting KZ 900 on a engine stand was created by BSKZ650
I am in the process of a rebuild of a KZ900 motor and would like to mount it on an engine stand, question is, are the back two mounting points strong enough to support the engine on a stand?
Im thinking of building some type of L bracket to bolt to the engine stand and to the rear of the motor.

Thanks

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
12 Apr 2012 11:04 #515411 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Mounting KZ 900 on a engine stand
Hello, good question! I am in this process also.
I was going to trust it. But my concern is the 4 welds that I made
for the 4 'L' shape brackets. I welded the 1"x1" brackets directly to the backing plate
that rotates. I am using the 2 top and 2 bottom motormount bolt holes.
My engine is complete. I need to clean it from the oils that have been sprayed on it.
For painting. It has been sitting for 6-7 years.
I will be waiting for opinions also.
Thanks

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
12 Apr 2012 18:15 - 12 Apr 2012 18:16 #515466 by TomW
Replied by TomW on topic Mounting KZ 900 on a engine stand

BSKZ650 wrote: I am in the process of a rebuild of a KZ900 motor and would like to mount it on an engine stand, question is, are the back two mounting points strong enough to support the engine on a stand?
Im thinking of building some type of L bracket to bolt to the engine stand and to the rear of the motor.

Thanks

The problem with using the rear two mounts for building the motor is the bottom rear mounts aren't there till you put the bottom of the case on. :S You have to assemble the transmission, install the crank, oil pump, kicker and other bits and pieces into the top half of the case before the bottom half is put on. Build a frame to attach to the top rear mount and the top front mount and to the engine stand. Requires some iron and a welder and hacksaw. I assembled my KZ1000 sitting on a bench. It would have been easier on the stand but a Ford V-6 was occupying my engine stand then. :pinch:

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock
Last edit: 12 Apr 2012 18:16 by TomW.

More
13 Apr 2012 06:37 #515547 by Garn
Replied by Garn on topic Mounting KZ 900 on a engine stand
BSKZ, I once made an adapter (lot of work), However, the stand was occupying too much space so I sold it or gave it away. The mount had provision for the two rear bolts and a cavity that held the engine casting where the top rear bolt is located (pretty complicated).
They are relatively easy to do on a bench, leaning the top of the motor resting on the head studs.
I never put the oil pump and sump on until I was ready to instal motor in frame. Sometimes I would put them on after the motor was in the frame. I often put the head on after I installed in frame. This also makes the the engine much more manageable.
RegardZ.

1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia

More
13 Apr 2012 12:36 #515586 by APE Jay