Where does the petcock line connect

More
06 Apr 2012 09:27 - 06 Apr 2012 09:44 #514322 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Where does the petcock line connect

ramtough_63 wrote: ...am just wondering if there will be a performance gain when I unplug the vents? or what if any benefit the vents are....

For the same reason a fuel tank is vented to prevent fuel starvation, the carb float bowls are also vented to prevent fuel starvation. A vent should exit to open air, also referred to as open to atmosphere.

The fuel tank vent should exit to open air. And such venting is usually provided through the fuel tank cap.

Each of the two float bowl vents should exit to open air. And such venting is usually provided through hoses attached to the vent nipples, with the hoses routed to exit to open air underneath the bike seat or underneath the bike itself.

Each of the two float bowl overflow nipples should exit to open air. And such venting is usually provided through hoses attached to the over flow nipples, with the hoses routed to exit underneath the bike.

The fellow that hooked up the following carb will be shot at dawn. :woohoo:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Apr 2012 09:44 by Patton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2012 09:45 #514327 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Where does the petcock line connect
I am heading to town to uncap my carbs and plug my vacum line into the propper port so we will see if any gains are made in performance. jacket weather today so not sure how many miles we will get in

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

More
06 Apr 2012 09:58 - 06 Apr 2012 10:00 #514329 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Where does the petcock line connect
The float bowl vents will function normally without an attached hose. But the hose is useful to avoid water entering the vent, while still providing exit to open air underneath the seat or underneath the carbs or underneath the bike.

The float bowl overflows will also function normally without an attached hose. But the hose routes fuel discharge from the overflow nipple to exit underneath the bike.
Without the hose, fuel discharge from the overflow nipple will be a messy flow down onto the engine. :pinch:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 06 Apr 2012 10:00 by Patton.