Don't know where to start

More
29 Mar 2012 05:45 #512698 by cameronkawasaki
Replied by cameronkawasaki on topic Don't know where to start
Sounds like a hanging idle, how long does it stay at 5-6k when you give it a little gas?

1979 KZ750B-4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• derekthemajestic
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Mar 2012 12:56 #512762 by derekthemajestic
Replied by derekthemajestic on topic Don't know where to start
It just sits there at Idle until i let the clutch out a bit to drag the rpms down, if I get it below 2000 it tries to die (I have to keep a bit in the throttle) but if it is above 2000 the rpms climb to like 5000-6000 and sit there (never for long, I kill the bike before I let it sit there more than a few seconds)

More
29 Mar 2012 18:08 #512841 by cameronkawasaki
Replied by cameronkawasaki on topic Don't know where to start
Ok, it trying to die sounds like your pilot circuit may be a little gunked up. So for that i suggest taking your carb off and unscrewing your pilot jet and spraying carb cleaner through it and any other passage you may think is clogged. Your bike should idle at around 1k.

Now for the hanging idle it may just be a simple vacuum leak. So to test for that you can either (A. get a hold of some starter fluid and spray some around your intake boots or anywhere else you think there might be cracks (while the engine is running). Or (B. get a small propane torch and connect a small rubber fuel line or (anything else that will fit) to the nozzle and slightly turn the torch on just enough so you can basically hear it, then do the same as you would do with the starter fluid.

Do this and let me know what happens.

Good luck

1979 KZ750B-4