re: kz750 ltd h2 1981 - best engine oil

More
16 Apr 2012 02:14 - 16 Apr 2012 02:26 #516091 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic kz750 ltd h2 1981 - best engine oil
I couldn't count the number of posts I have read from people running rotella in a bike, I have read zero negative posts. The only "negative" I have read is that since it is diesel rated, the add pack has a little more detergent than typical car oil. Won't hurt your engine at all.

As long as it doesn't say energy conserving on top of the can, it will work. ZDDP content is another thing.

For example, YMMV:

www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165074

I recently had my kx250f rebuilt (motor) and my mechanic swears by Rotella diesel oil and says he uses it in all his race bikes and has for years without any problems.

On a personal note, I've used it for many many thousands of miles in both singles and multis and have been very pleased. Not to mention it's readily available and cheap.

I use it in all my stuff (bikes and diesel truck), have been for years. I use the 5w-40 synthetic stuff as its much easier starting in cold weather and I ride year round.

I use it in my ST1100 and my KLR. Been running it for 4 years, no problems.

Yep, I use it in my BMW R1100SA. Works great.

Yep, I run it in all my bikes and my cars. I've been using it for over 3 years now.

I just switched to the Rotella in my KTM, from Golden Spectro. I researched it a bit and I've heard nothing negative.

I been happily using Rotella-T 5W40 Full Synthetic in my F650's and Ducati-motored Cagivas for about a year.

I use Rotella in all my motorcycles - my VStrom ran especially well on the 5W-40 synthetic.

and many more of the same.. if "UK" Rotella damages bike engines they must be sabotaging it on purpose. US Rotella is one of the best around. The guys on another Kawi forum used to even have the oils analyzed after thousands of miles and post the results. Rotella held up very well.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 16 Apr 2012 02:26 by bountyhunter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2012 04:28 #516100 by Jonny
Replied by Jonny on topic kz750 ltd h2 1981 - best engine oil
I agree with all the good advice above. I started running Shell full Synthetic 5w40 (the blue jug) last summer and its been good to me. It migh be just my imagination but warmup times seem a little better, and in any case, I feel better knowing the oil viscosity is bang on target right from the first crank, no waiting for the dino to get to temp.

I HAVE noticed a little more seep from my top end, but then it always did leak a little, and KZ650s are apparently known for it anyhow, so its not a big concern. Over 2000k or so last summer, it didn't end up causing any appreciable loss to total oil volume. I may have added ~200 mL, just to make myself feel better.

That said, if I was short on cash, or couldn't find the Synthetic, I would happily grab the Shell Rotella and go with that again. (Remembering that you CAN switch between synth and dino at will. The 'no going back' after using syntheic is a myth from who knows where. Perhaps it was true at one point, but I suspect not.)

Cheers!

'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)

More
16 Apr 2012 10:23 #516129 by DaddyJama
Replied by DaddyJama on topic kz750 ltd h2 1981 - best engine oil
I have a 2005 Kawi zx6r that I use for track days only.. 110hp at wheel rpms always between 10 and 14 k

I'm not sure if that makes it more particular or less particular to the types of oil compared to my kZ..

For that bike i always use Mobil synthetic for cars, does NOT have "energy conserving" in the circle.

5qts here at Walmart is around 27 dollars:)

2005 636 - track bike
1982 kz440ltd - new toy;)

• saxonpirate
  • User
  • 1983 KZ1100 LTD
More
16 Apr 2012 15:44 - 16 Apr 2012 15:53 #516185 by saxonpirate
Replied by saxonpirate on topic kz750 ltd h2 1981 - best engine oil
Its funny that Angel mentioned Rock Oil. I've just ordered some Rock Oil GAMMA 10w40 Mineral Motorcycle Oil costing - £17.99 for 4 ltrs. I've done this because I was concerned about using synthetics in what is an old bike engine 1983 KZ1100, and wanted to play safe.

Its crazy, because I used to run my previous old Z1100 on Duckhams 20/50 which is a car oil. Never had any problems, and now I find myself confused by the hype and having to go online to order mineral oil.

I don't know if any of you guys in the States have heard of Opie Oils in the UK, but the Oilman who seems to write on quite a few forums came out with this quote regarding semi-synthetic. "They are not chemically engineered like synthetics but offer the highest level of performance of all the petroleum basestocks. They are also known as “hydrocracked” or “molecularly modified” basestocks. They are usually labelled/marketed as synthetic or semi-synthetic oils and make up a very high percentage of the oils retailed today"....

So if I read that right, a lot of the so called synthetics are petroleum based anyway. Now I am confused

Here's an interesting PDF from Opie re these oils. URL below.

www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/tech-articles/Ba...and-Descriptions.pdf

1983 KZ1100 LTD..

Ride like your life depended on it :-)
Last edit: 16 Apr 2012 15:53 by saxonpirate.